FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness players

Following the most successful ex-ICT players posts I was thinking about Inverness born players who have gone on to have successful football playing and management careers. These are just a few but I guess there have been many more over the years:

Andy McCombie (Thistle, Sunderland, Newcastle United) - League Championship medal 1902 (Sunderland), League Championship medal 1907 and 1909 (Newcastle), FA Cup runners-up medal 1905 and 1906 (Newcastle), 6 Scotland caps.

Peter McWilliam (Thistle, Newcastle United) - FA Cup winners medal 1910, FA Cup runners-up medal 1905, 1906 and 1908, League Championship medal 1905, 1907 and 1909, 8 Scotland caps, managed Spurs and Middlesborough

Tommy McDonald (Caley, Rangers, Newcastle United, York City, Goole Town) - FA Cup winners medal 1924, League Championship medal 1926

George Ross (Preston North End, Southport. Morecambe) - FA Cup runners-up medal 1964

Ted McDougall (Liverpool, York City, Bournemouth, Manchester United, West Ham United, Norwich City, Weymouth, Bournemouth, Detriot Express, Blackpool, Salisbury, Poole Town, AFC Totton, Gosport Borough, Floreat Athena, St George-Budapest, Andover) - League Cup runners-up medal 1975, 7 Scotland caps, record number of goals in a FA Cup match (9), 126 goals in 165 games (Bournemouth), Quarter-Final Cup Winners Cup

Billy Urquhart (Caley, Rangers, Wigan Athletic, ICT) - Scottish League Cup winners medal 1978, Glasgow Cup winners medal 1979, European Cup quarter-final

Kevin Macdonald (Caley, Leicester City, Liverpool, Rangers, Coventry City, Cardiff City, Walsall) - FA Cup winners medal 1986, League Championship medal 1986, managed Aston Villa

John McGinlay (Nairn County, Yeovil Town, Elgin City, Shrewsbury Town, Bury, Milwall, Bolton Wanderers, Bradford City, Oldham Athletic, Cincinatti Riverhawks, Cincinatti Kings) - League Cup runners-up medal 1995, First Divsion Play-Off winners medal 1995, First Division Championship medal 1997,16 Scotland caps.

Andy Morrison (Plymouth Argyle, Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Huddersfield Town, Manchester City, Crystal Palace, Sheffield United) - Division Two play-off winners medal 1999 (Manchester City), Division One runners-up 2000 (Manchester City)

Grant Munro (ICT, Elgin City, Ross County) - Challenge Cup winners medal 2004, Challenge Cup runners-up medal 2009, SFL1 championship medal 2004 and 2010

Don Cowie (Ross County, ICT, Watford, Cardiff City) - Challenge Cup winners medal 2006, League Cup runners-up medal 2012, 9 Scotland caps (to date)

Any others....?

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back
  • Agree 1

Charlie Christie. He may not have figured at top level as a player to an extent consistent with his ability but he did have a spell as a very successful SPL manager.

And Yngwie's correction of TBB's mini biog of Kevin does confirm for me that it was 86 as opposed to 85 that he did the double with Liverpool.

Does anyone remember when Brewster was appointed the first time, Grassa managed to convince a large number of people that it would actually be Kevin, and for much longer than any chance of that may have existed? :lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Another....

Andy McCombie (Thistle, Sunderland, Newcastle United) - League Championship medal 1902 (Sunderland), League Championship medal 1907 and 1909 (Newcastle), FA Cup runners-up medal 1905 and 1906 (Newcastle), 6 Scotland caps.

When he played for Scotland v England on the 1st April at Crytsal Palace there were two Invernessians playing for Scotland - Andy McCombie and Peter McWilliam (both ex-Jaggies). They were also both part of the Newcastle championship sides in 1907 and 1909 and played in two FA Cup Finals together.

He had quite a colourful career by all accounts....

http://en.wikipedia....i/Andy_McCombie

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

Some interesting info and some very impressive careers have been mentioned on this thread (but I don't really think Grant Munro deserves to be mentioned in this context).

I was wondering though, how would the list of 8 or so Invernessians with success at the very top level compare with an equivalent list for places like Kirkcaldy, Dunfermline, Stirling, Ayr, Perth, Dumfries etc? I'd imagine that compared to other big towns, our lack of league football for about a century was something of a hindrance to producing top class players.

I'd imagine that compared to other big towns, our lack of league football for about a century was something of a hindrance to producing top class players.

Absolutely. here we were at the far end of a winding A9 - the end of the earth to a lot of people in the central belt - and with no exposure to the national game unless your Highland League club was lucky enough to qualify for the Scottish Cup. That is bound to have had a limiting effect.