FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Scotland Manager

KingBeastie

So he's from Lurgan County Armagh in Northern Ireland. A country in the north of the Island of Ireland. I'm from Fort-William in the County of Inverness Scotland. A country in the north of the island of Britian. Am I english?

My god, I used to spend hours educating Africans about the difference between Britain and England, and here's a Scotsman that thinks they are interchangeable. Yes, Alex. Being from Britain means you're English :frustrated01:

So he's from Lurgan County Armagh in Northern Ireland. A country in the north of the Island of Ireland. I'm from Fort-William in the County of Inverness Scotland. A country in the north of the island of Britian. Am I english?

My god, I used to spend hours educating Africans about the difference between Britain and England, and here's a Scotsman that thinks they are interchangeable. Yes, Alex. Being from Britain means you're English :frustrated01:

I didn't say I was English. I asked a question. The provisio being that if your from Northern Ireland, a seperate country from Eire, then your Irish. So if your from Scotland, a seperate country from England, using that provisio, are you English?

KB....yes I've a small wager on Jordan

Northern what?

A seperate country from the Republic of Ireland, sure, but still on the island of Ireland.

You'd do an Orangeman proud with that argument...but it'd still be wrong.

The momentum for big Joe seems to be building. I certainly wouldn't be against that idea. Kenny's still #1 for me but Jordan just about edges it over Strachan, although I wouldn't be disappointed with either.

The future international team coach. Possibly to take us into the 2016 Euro`s.?

Who is currently in charge of the current crop of youngsters at under 21 level who will be our future in 2016.

I reckon giving the job to the probably unfancied Billy Stark might not be a bad move.

The Idea the Scotlands manager must be a Scot is daft

Tell Celtic fans an Irishman makes the defeat of Barcelona any less gratifying

Some people take the parish pump memtality far too far;

noses and faces come to mind

Tbh Celtic's manager being an Irish Catholic made it even more gratifying for them,

Except he's not. Irish that is.

Jesus help me Bob

An Irish man comes from Ireland, whether it be Northern or the Republic, the fact that Neil Lennon has had so much stick over the years, unwarrantedly, for being a Catholic Irishman from Northern Ireland, has been totally wrong. It doesnt matter where he is from to me, he is Irish, as are some of my own ancestors.

I worked with many folk from Northern and Republican Ireland in the past, as colleagues and as their boss,and they all called themselves Irish, from both sexes and religious backgrounds. I never heard any of them say they were British or Ulstermen/women in 15 years. One comment I remember at a meeting we had in Belfast was the only time they were asked which religion they were was by some of the guys from around the Glasgow central belt area asking them if they were Gers or Celts.

So if he was born on the big island to the west of Scotland, England and Wales, which has Ireland as the last word, he will be Irish.

The first time I ever encountered bigotry was in 1973. I referred to a colleague as Irish, not knowing any better, and he grabbed me by the throat and pointed out he wasn't Irish in his broad Ulster accent.

The Good Friday agreement states;

"it is the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly [the two governments] confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland."

So if someone from Northern Ireland wishes to call themselves Irish, they are Irish. If they want to call themselves British, they are British. That description refers to their citizenship. But just the same as someone who is from Orkney is Orcadian regardless of whether they refer to them self as Scottish or British in terms of citizenship, someone who comes from Northern Ireland is also Irish in the sense that the term "Irish" describes the geographical circumstance of his birth.

An Ulsterman can call himself British if he wants but it doesn't change the fact that he is also Irish.

The first time I ever encountered bigotry was in 1973. I referred to a colleague as Irish, not knowing any better, and he grabbed me by the throat and pointed out he wasn't Irish in his broad Ulster accent.

Brave brave man - probably did what a lot of folk would like to do - say they were from Ulster and not Ireland :ohmy:

Leaving petty squabbles aside, I see Lothar Mattheus has applied for the job. Great player and international managerial experience. Rather mixed record though.

Do you want Scotland to drop below 100 in the world rankings? Loddar, as he's pronounced in his home dialect, was a great player, but is the worst manager I've ever seen. BTW, I know his home town, which seems to have one of the lowest average IQs in Germany, though it's the home of both Adidas and Puma (it's less than 70 miles from my home, but with a distinct regional border in between).

Starchief, you're wrong on both terms :tongue: as the correct name of "Dusseldorf" is Duesseldorf, although I know quite a few idiots from there, too.

KB, the more I think about the size of Herzogenaurach compared to the next big city (Nuremberg) and take the raltion to Inverness the more I have to admit you're right :rotflmao:

• Agree 1