FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Phillip Roberts Contract

BornCaley

With or without fans like us, he would be better off elsewhere and so would we

He is a nice lad but he is far from good enough to play for ICT, . We need players who will get stuck in, this is a physical league, we can't afford passengers.

Feckin hell, never saw Andrew Shinnie getting 'stuck' in very much, and were we glad to have him last season. You dont have to get stuck in (which he actially did), he scored tons

So you are dismissing my opinion.

I have been watching football for nearly 60 years , I have run junior teams and been a ref.

I think I know a good player when I see one

This guy lacks a lot of what it takes Laurence I have played the game for 10 years for several teams in Scotland, England, Cyprus and Romania. I can tell when a player is frightened and it is the exact same thing when I see players crapping it from Roberts until the 5th minute he's on and then they just wollop him. Saying you watched it for sixty years? I've watched it for 20 and I am currently working towards my A license. I am agreeing with you that Roberts is a wimp. But you don't have to get stuck in

Edited by Rival

Just because you are getting on in life and have years of experience doesn't mean you are always right.  We have loads of folk on this forum who have years of experience of playing, watching, coaching and refereeing football and who "know what they are talking about" but yet who disagree with each other all the time.

Everybody has a different perspective to bring to the discussion and even those who we may feel are generally on the loony side of weird make some very valid points from time to time.  Everyone is entitled to make their point without being insulted by those who  disagree with them.  If any particular contributor normally posts views that you don't think have any merit then don't waste your time reading them.

Personally I like to read the rubbish as I find it comforting to know that there are still some people around who are more stupid than me.

I think "wimp" is maybe a bit harsh.  As I've said before, I think he was just lacking a little bit of that arrogance/self belief that's needed in a player when they are on the park.

Also, let's not forget that he is still a young lad, having only just turned 19 in April, and had no "first team" football prior to coming on loan to us.

• Agree 1

I think "wimp" is maybe a bit harsh.  As I've said before, I think he was just lacking a little bit of that arrogance/self belief that's needed in a player when they are on the park.

Also, let's not forget that he is still a young lad, having only just turned 19 in April, and had no "first team" football prior to coming on loan to us.

Pepper, Meekings, Golobart, all hadnt played a first team game upon joining us

Not everyone matures at the same rate.

Part of the trouble with bringing players through these days is that if they don't break through before they're 18 or 19 then they're thrown on the scrap heap.

For every Philip Roberts, there's a Draper or a Warren who don't develop and realise potential until they're a few years older.

• Agree 2

While I agree with Caley D in principle, I actually feel that Philip Roberts might fall into the same category as the likes of Draper and Warren

My impression was that the boy had a spark of potential but had yet to mature both physically and emotionally. I would not be surprised if he dropped down a few levels only to re-emerge in his mid twenties playing at, or close to, the top level. Time will tell.

Pepper has yet to establish himself in our team at SPL level and Meekings/Golobart were both physically a lot stronger which is one of the key attributes for SPL success.

While I agree with many comments the main issue with PR was his attitude in games, he never looked to motivated or interested, I think he has the ability but the pace of the Scottish game and where physicality is a more sought after attribute than skill and technique means its always going to be hard for that type of player - look at GMS or Ryan Jack they get kicked for 90 mins a game, although perhaps they are mentally stronger and can deal with that or used to it through the Scottish youth system.

Roberts may yet make it to a high level, look at the likes of Pennant (ignore his off-field issues and attitude problems) he was released by Arsenal yet has still played at a high level in England & Europe.

• Agree 1

Pepper has yet to establish himself in our team at SPL level and Meekings/Golobart were both physically a lot stronger which is one of the key attributes for SPL success.

While I agree with many comments the main issue with PR was his attitude in games, he never looked to motivated or interested, I think he has the ability but the pace of the Scottish game and where physicality is a more sought after attribute than skill and technique means its always going to be hard for that type of player - look at GMS or Ryan Jack they get kicked for 90 mins a game, although perhaps they are mentally stronger and can deal with that or used to it through the Scottish youth system.

Roberts may yet make it to a high level, look at the likes of Pennant (ignore his off-field issues and attitude problems) he was released by Arsenal yet has still played at a high level in England & Europe.

Roberts isn't tough enough. And pennant who is currently a free agent is a bad example as he played for Arsenal several times. Search up Sean McDermott. Rohn Ince, Junior Medes, Adam Coombes look at them

I heard a few months ago that they were concerned about Roberts' health because he seemed to be lacking stamina, which was why he never got a full game. Can't remember where I heard it though.

While I agree with Caley D in principle, I actually feel that Philip Roberts might fall into the same category as the likes of Draper and Warren

My impression was that the boy had a spark of potential but had yet to mature both physically and emotionally. I would not be surprised if he dropped down a few levels only to re-emerge in his mid twenties playing at, or close to, the top level. Time will tell.

That's actually want I meant about Roberts....although reading back what I wrote it's not what I said.

I heard a few months ago that they were concerned about Roberts' health because he seemed to be lacking stamina, which was why he never got a full game. Can't remember where I heard it though.

Improving his fitness levels was certainly something he tried to work hard at, whether their was any underlying, or suspected underlying, health issue or not I have no idea.

I pretty much dismiss your opinion on everything.

This whole "I'm older and therefore must be right and must be respected" attitude that you have is about as condescending and arrogant as it gets.

I've met a couple of fifty-plus entrants to teaching who had that attitude. Didn't last a minute before the kids started to make mincemeat of them. 

Earn respect by what you post, not by who you are  :notworthy:

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 1