FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Steve Marsella has left the building.

TheCommissioner

Dont believe they were paid scouts. just contacts of the then manager.

Think that was more to do with the then Chairman (Savage) and Niculae than the manager ..... but all in all, more of a PR kind of thing as I dont think we ever got anyone into the team as a result of their recommendations.

Have heard stories about SM being unpopular with some folk, mainly back in the days prior to Tokely and Munro going, but bottom line is that he picked us up a few excellent signings and seems to have a good eye for a player so in that respect he will be missed. However, I do agree with what others have posted ... its onwards and upwards as we go on to better things under our new management team, whoever they may be.

I don't want to wish messrs Butcher, Malpas and Marsella any ill - well I do really but it seems a little petty given the positive impact they had over the last 4 years - but I really can see it all ending in tears down there and I will smile a little smile and raise a glass to karma when it does .... ICT gave Butcher time to bring in these 'rough diamonds' and for Butcher and Malpas to get the best out of them. Was Billy McKay an instant hit? Doran? Meekings? no, but Butcher persevered and we are seeing the benefit of that thanks to a pretty faithful and patient group of supporters and directors .... dont think the Hibs lot, fans or board, will be that patient.

• Agree 3

Dont believe they were paid scouts. just contacts of the then manager.

LOL - our board watched the wrong Romanian Niculae on a dodgy DVD. Marsella was not a popular chap and basically was another co-dependent of the Grand Narcissus. He would never have survived without his protection. Hopefully the lesson fer ICT to learn is to look at the above average performers in the lower English leagues - the name of Butcher may well have been an attraction but so would be the prospect of the SPL - I would hope however that we start looking in our own country as well.

The manager at the time of Gypsy-gate was Charlie Christie, I suspect his footballing contacts barely extended beyond Aviemore.

Christie was manager when Niculae was signed in july 07. He resigned in August 07 so wasn't the manager when all the furore occured. I'm also inclined to think that the signing may have helped Charlies decision to quit.

From what I gather Marsella didn't 'find' the players.  He was sent down South to look at players that had been recommended by certain agents.  They were found for the club and Marsella was the man to go and watch them.  He'd then report back to the club.  Plenty of footballing people could do that job.   Not as big a loss as some people think.

• Agree 2

From what I gather Marsella didn't 'find' the players.  He was sent down South to look at players that had been recommended by certain agents.  They were found for the club and Marsella was the man to go and watch them.  He'd then report back to the club.  Plenty of footballing people could do that job.   Not as big a loss as some people think.

I think that's a bit harsh on Steve. He has incredible contacts in the game built up over many years and Inverness have benefitted from those contacts. Let's not blacken the boy's name, he done a great job and pathetic comments about unpopularity amongst the players now he is gone is pretty low. It's not unthinkable that he would work up North again and I would rather it was in a place where he would feel welcome and this thread is starting to develop a nasty little feel to it.

To say he was unpopular without naming names to back it up is also a little cowardly as the boy can't speak up to defend himself. He worked like a dog for Inverness and really loved his job here. If he rattled a few cages on the way, so what it's not a popularity contest.

If anyone could do his job then why don't they? Come on Steve Marsella should be a hero here, he has done nothing wrong in my opinion.

• Agree 5

I think that's a bit harsh on Steve. He has incredible contacts in the game built up over many years and Inverness have benefitted from those contacts. Let's not blacken the boy's name, he done a great job and pathetic comments about unpopularity amongst the players now he is gone is pretty low. It's not unthinkable that he would work up North again and I would rather it was in a place where he would feel welcome and this thread is starting to develop a nasty little feel to it.

To say he was unpopular without naming names to back it up is also a little cowardly as the boy can't speak up to defend himself. He worked like a dog for Inverness and really loved his job here. If he rattled a few cages on the way, so what it's not a popularity contest.

If anyone could do his job then why don't they? Come on Steve Marsella should be a hero here, he has done nothing wrong in my opinion.

Where have  I mentioned in my one post on this topic anything about him being unpopular?!  I have merely stated his role in find players.

as an outsider, Hibernian fan, I feel your loss although some seem to be taking a stance that it wont hurt that much. again, I don't think the whole situation was handled very  well at all. we, Hibs fans, are happy that we have got what  looks like a winning team in respect of the management squad we now have. but, we also have the lingering doubt that is.......wait a minute, we're Hibernian fc, we've ****** up before and we shall do so again. hopefully not immedietly this time.  best of luck to you guys this weekend, and maybe more importantly , get intae that Gorgie mob in Feb, get to the final. you should have been there last year!. I was totally disgusted with the fact that the semi is being played at our holy ground. A lot to do with the fact that those cheating thieving barstewards are able to defile our holy ground once more, but more to do with the fact that your fans are having to travel approx. 150 miles to the game and those scummy fucks can walk to the game. it is outrageous!. many Hibs fans on the fans forums are backing ICT in regards to the letter to the SFA/SPFL about the silly start time, the fact that the A9 is gonna be atrocious at that time o' year etc. Dundee, or Aberdeen is where it should be played.

• Agree 4

Try not to be affected by the rambling a of a co-dependent. Nobraininhead has evidently become part of the cult following. Marsella picked up some good and bad journeymen and knew the English lower league scene well - that will be missed unless we pick up somebody willing to travel to where the market is. That will be cheaper than Marsella who spent more on food than Grasser did on rounds in the Heathmount.

You are also correct in keeping comments by others - especially players and stadium staff - in confidence and do not allow a cyber bully to upset you.

• Agree 1

Try not to be affected by the rambling a of a co-dependent. Nobraininhead has evidently become part of the cult following. Marsella picked up some good and bad journeymen and knew the English lower league scene well - that will be missed unless we pick up somebody willing to travel to where the market is. That will be cheaper than Marsella who spent more on food than Grasser did on rounds in the Heathmount.

You are also correct in keeping comments by others - especially players and stadium staff - in confidence and do not allow a cyber bully to upset you.

I‘ve noticed a small minority of our support are still furiously happy clapping for Team Butcher and Misspass. They‘ve been so taken in with Butcher that they can‘t let go. Is this normal for people who have previously been suffering from Stockholm Syndrome (not Helsinki) or does the symptoms carry on even after they are free from the clutches?

NoBrainInHead, nice one. Google can't be working if that's the best you can come up with, doesn't compare well with your usual plagiarised babble. Cheap shot hiding behind imaginary sources to blacken someone's name when he left, especially someone who worked as hard as Steve. Butcher and Malpas are fair game but really what has the boy done wrong apart from attract some good players with eff all money. Would be nice if he could just leave on good terms and I would welcome him back anytime.

Loved your comment about his eating, now if he was chinese you could have used your full 1970s stand up routine. Disclaimer: no internet research/cut and paste was used in the creation of this post.

Butcher himself was probably as much a catalyst in the making of contacts in Englandterre.

Managers down there were definitely calling him wanting him to consider their players since they saw it as advantageous for them to get the experience of the Northern tribes without (probably) the expenses of  keeping them on the staff at the home club.

Butcher's reputation clearly preceded him and he must have been an obvious target for these clubs to contact.

So he made the most of the mutual opportunity offered and benefitted greatly from these contacts.

What role Mr Marsella played in all this we don't exactly know but, had he stayed here without the ex-England captain still being at the helm ,what influence do you think that he alone would have had in England as to obtaining morep players coming up here?

He is only a scout after all and if the new appointed Manager of ICT did not approve of his choices then his bottom might well have been out the window big-time with a waning influence too. So Let hm go and hopoe thet the tyhree Stooges at Hibs will have a modicum of success but not enough to dislodge Caley Thistle from their perch as ***** OF THE NORTH. Wheeeeee! :clapoverhead:  :canada:  :scotland: 

Are you stevie in disguise......................................................

Are you IHE? Can I ask Alex, why don't you like him? And if all of these contacts are Terry's why weren't they used in his previous jobs? Just annoys me that we can't let anyone go without slagging them off, shows no class. It's just a difference of opinion and mine just happens to be the right one.

Capital Caley - hashtag seething is something used on P&B by posters who have lost the argument (cue hashtag seeting from another genius).

• Agree 1

Are you stevie in disguise......................................................

Are you IHE? Can I ask Alex, why don't you like him? And if all of these contacts are Terry's why weren't they used in his previous jobs? Just annoys me that we can't let anyone go without slagging them off, shows no class. It's just a difference of opinion and mine just happens to be the right one.

Capital Caley - hashtag seething is something used on P&B by posters who have lost the argument (cue hashtag seeting from another genius).

Eh?  I'm really sorry that he's not the man you thought he was.  I've stated quite clearly the role your hero played at the club.  I wasn't slagging him off.  I admire your level of fanatical happy clapping though.  I hope you give the next management team the same level of loyalty. 

^^^ definitely seeeeeeeeethin

You only tend to look at the negatives of peeple when they leave you abruptly fer no apparent reason but Marsella is clearly the least popular of the departures. And how else would a professional couch have such a girth if he didn't partake of too many Chinese takeaways ?