FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

World Cup Players at TCS

davieB

Is Juninho the only World Cup winner to play against us?  He played for Celtic against us in 2004, but it was at Celtic Park.  He never played up here.

I can't think of any others. I don't think Gattuso ever faced us.

And we reached the SPL long after Stephanie Gui'varch had gone.

Whilst not quite answering this particular question, I can recall as a boy reading something in a Caledonian FC match programme circa 1981 about Peter Bonnetti (who got a medal in 1966) stepping in to play for Caley in a pre-season match when he was on holiday up here.  Can't find any references to it online but I swear I'm not completely making it up!

• Agree 1

Whilst not quite answering this particular question, I can recall as a boy reading something in a Caledonian FC match programme circa 1981 about Peter Bonnetti (who got a medal in 1966) stepping in to play for Caley in a pre-season match when he was on holiday up here.  Can't find any references to it online but I swear I'm not completely making it up!

That actually rings a bell with me! I'm sure you haven't dreamt it!

Ian Wright certainly did as we all know.

I think Gary Lineker played Thistle at the Kingsmills in a pre-season friendly once as well.

I think you might be thinking of the Caley 0-4 Leicester friendly in 1983, which came about after the Kevin McDonald transfer.   I can't remember for sure if Lineker actually played or not, as he wasn't at all famous back then, but he was definitely a first team regular at that stage.  Steve Lynex and Alan Smith were the players to fear IIRC.

Ian Wright certainly did as we all know.

I think Gary Lineker played Thistle at the Kingsmills in a pre-season friendly once as well.

Nice hotel but an odd venue for a football match.

:lol:

Typo aside, I didn't know that about Lineker. Can you remember the year? I have no recollections of seeing Leicester City up here.

Ah, that answers my query, cheers Yngwie! You beat me to the 'return' button!

But on the topic of TV pundits at the stadium - Neil Lennon. There's a water bottle still floating about in the firth, last seen passing Cromarty!

I asked my dad about this the other day and he also says that it rings a bell with him.  Didn't know anymore about it though.

Peter Bonnetti (who got a medal in 1966)

Playing for which team?

I think the answer to your question is in the statement Charles