FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Older version of Dry January

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:02 PM, Charles Bannerman said:

Aye... pretty rough it was in its day. The Thornbush Inn of East Inverness.

And that's another photo of Willie Deans, second from the right.

• 1 month later...

My old Dad was head gardener there just after WW11.  I scarcely remember it. Our gardener's cottage ,called "Willowbank" was in the next plot along.  He changed jobs in about 1948 and we moved further along towards Holm Mills , working for a nursing home called "Carol", I think.  Our gardener's cottage there backed on to Drummond Crescent. The 'big house' next door had a football field in their back garden.  The two boys there , both two or three years older than me, supported Caley and took me to my first game in about 1949.  It was a 2-0 win against Clach, and I was hooked immediately, and have remained so ever since.

6 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

working for a nursing home called "Carol", I think.  

The spelling is actually Carrol but you are almost certainly right since the place is out Island Bank Road, on the left going out of town, between the Drummond Crescent junction and Boyndie. I believe it may have started life as a maternity nursing home but then became a children's home. It's near Rossal, which used to be an old folks' home but may more recently have become a House of Multiple Occupation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this field  in Culcabock itself IHE?

I know where the Fluke  Inn is, or was,  but I don't recognise the field.

My mother was born in Spring cottage in Culcabock along with all my uncles. The burn referred to must be the one that flowed past King Duncan's Well or thereabouts.

Charles--what a strange remark!

Vulgarity may be his trait but matched by his chatter in full spate.

He teaches the young 'uns and the older sods - those elder statesmen who no longer have the bods, whilst his mirror at home longs for more muscular quads.

To allow him to  have some whirlies with the girlies and show off his cultured quadrille. :lol:

10 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Charles--what a strange remark!

Vulgarity may be his trait but matched by his chatter in full spate.

He teaches the young 'uns and the older sods - those elder statesmen who no longer have the bods, whilst his mirror at home longs for more muscular quads.

To allow him to  have some whirlies with the girlies and show off his cultured quadrille. :lol:

Scarlet.... I don't think you quite "got it". If you mother was born "along with" your uncles, then that suggests a multiple birth. And if it was "all" your uncles, that suggests at least three of them. So if you add in your mother, that makes at least four - or quads!

• Disagree 1

Now, Charles, even though I did "get it" after quite a bit of thought, it's just a tad near the bone in the "non-upright"  stakes. I'm a very broad-minded man and you can say anything you like to me but, please, not about my family. Otherwise  you will have Daddy Pimpernell to deal with and that is not a hero's fate ...."aaarghhh , Jim lad, hang 'em high from yon yardarm, he thinks too much and such men are dangerous."

If it was I don't think you would have got past that lot to go for a pint!  Could that have been when the Bannerman's moved down from Caithness with all that Union Jacks flying? :lol:

4 hours ago, IBM said:

If it was I don't think you would have got past that lot to go for a pint!  Could that have been when the Bannerman's moved down from Caithness with all that Union Jacks flying? :lol:

...and a St George's cross, but no St Andrew's cross!