FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Meltdown

scottbamby

Think a few of you need to watch this and relax. We were abysmal on Saturday and our lack of goals is concerning, but it's times like these we need to get behind the club we love and be real 'supporters'. http://youtu.be/rBLGZ0EwF1w

That, unfortunately, is history. The reality is that so far we have not invested in the squad and are one of the teams that appear to have regressed. I hope we are still active in the market, because what we have will not get us through the season without disappointment.

• Agree 3

Whether the season results in disappointment may depend on your level of expectation. In my view, if we are still in the Premiership this time next year that will be a satisfactory season albeit far from a great one.

That said, if we can run to it a proven forward must be a priorit.

I agree with you there Kingsmills at least on the disappointment aspect, however if financial reasons will not allow further addition to the squad now, it may be prudent to do a County and review things at the half way point of the season.

There is still no need for the pessimistic feel running throughout the forum, we have a nucleus  of triers on our books and a manager who knows how to get things back on track. So once again I say to the doubters show patience and understanding and let's get the togetherNess back.

• Agree 2

I'm not suggesting the concerns aren't reasonable, it's clear we need huge improvements, however I feel that it's being blown way out of proportion. Celtic would struggle with the amount of first team injuries we have! I feel last years 'history' is very relevant. All but Watkins, Ofere and Shinnie that started that game are still at the club and surely past success should teach you to have faith in our quality having seen what our players are capable of?

• Agree 5

Glad you do not run my business it would be bankrupt in no time .

Assume you do not consider that any success is the boys upstairs only when it goes wrong .

1 game in and we are in meltdown give them a break,

• Agree 1

It is quite common for a team the year after winning a major trophy to struggle. I just hope it is not a nose dive.

Portsmouth for instance won the F A cup not many years ago. So did Wigan, I know we have to rebuild .and show that we have what it takes to keep our status.

Wigan won the cup and were relegated in the same season. 

Portsmouth won the cup and then spent money they didn't have chasing further glory. That and then going bust is what did for them. 

The lesson is probably don't spend what you hope to get, rather than what you can afford. 

• Agree 1

In my opinion it's the boards job to find the cash for the manager to put a decent team on the park. If we get into trouble don't blame Yogi blame the boys upstairs!

And you'll know how and where that cash can be found I take it. I'm quite sure people at the club work very hard to win sponsorship. I'm not so sure that the highlands have enough business with the advertising budgets needed to provide that sponsorship. Especially with so many sports clubs vying for a share in what is not a densely populated area.

Look where we are in league of average earnings and its easy to see why its hard to persuade the class of player we'd all like to see at the club. Below is from here http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/1321105-celtics-average-wage-bill-is-25-times-higher-than-ross-countys/

These are total staff costs and not just players

Average annual pay Average weekly pay
Celtic £901,943 £17,345
Aberdeen £140,699 £2,706
Hibernian £102,199 £1,965
Dundee United £91,538 £1,760
St Mirren £78,447 £1,509
Kilmarnock £74,981 £1,442
St Johnstone £67,999 £1,308
Motherwell £67,639 £1,301
Hearts £63,999 £1,231
Inverness CT £53,690 £1,033
Partick Thistle £45,498 £875
Ross County £36,000

£692

Edited by Alex MacLeod

In my opinion it's the boards job to find the cash for the manager to put a decent team on the park. If we get into trouble don't blame Yogi blame the boys upstairs!

And you'll know how and where that cash can be found I take it. I'm quite sure people at the club work very hard to win sponsorship. I'm not so sure that the highlands have enough business with the advertising budgets needed to provide that sponsorship. Especially with so many sports clubs vying for a share in what is not a densely populated area.

Look where we are in league of average earnings and its easy to see why its hard to persuade the class of player we'd all like to see at the club. Below is from here http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/1321105-celtics-average-wage-bill-is-25-times-higher-than-ross-countys/

Average annual pay Average weekly pay
Celtic £901,943 £17,345
Aberdeen £140,699 £2,706
Hibernian £102,199 £1,965
Dundee United £91,538 £1,760
St Mirren £78,447 £1,509
Kilmarnock £74,981 £1,442
St Johnstone £67,999 £1,308
Motherwell £67,639 £1,301
Hearts £63,999 £1,231
Inverness CT £53,690 £1,033
Partick Thistle £45,498 £875
Ross County £36,000

£692

The figures you've quoted are 2 seasons old. 

Alex i have it on good authority that Davies is on a wedge , and the amount of signings C*unty have made, there wage bill will surely be higher than ours 

Exactly. Rickie Foster won't exactly be on low wages either. 

In case anybody was in any doubt - here's the direct relationship between attendances and average wage using figs for 2013/14 season:

Data_1.thumb.jpg.13bb5a96cf4ff29ad994921

I took Hearts out of the analysis for generating the correlation because their wages were unusually low that season for obvious reasons. Equally, Celtic fall above this calcualted line, but they have other income streams that allow them to spend more (e.g. Champs league).

Given all the other factors that could be involved, it is amazing how tight this relationship is. We're right on the line and we know that the club just about breaks even at that level, so you might consider this to be the break-even line - those above it were probably spending beyond their means or using up a nest-egg, those below it were probably saving for a rainy day or uncertain of their future in the prem. I would be prepared to bet that RC and PT are now spending about the same as us, now that they have established themselves in the prem for a few years. Equally, Hearts will be in a more confident position now and will probably be nearer to Abdn in terms of wages.

• Agree 3