ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

Not sure I get the logic of not offering a contract to a long standing servant who could still make a contribution and offering a contract to someone who, even if his injury isn't so bad, could be facing a lengthy suspension if found guilty of breaching gambling rules and bringing him, his club(s) and the game into disrepute.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:04 AM, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Given how few players we have signed up, losing Deas or Carson would be pretty grim even if we got cash for either.

The situation with Sutherland is tricky; we really should be looking after him but on our budget can we afford to pay a player who may not play at all, especially since we will probably be light on numbers as it is?

Sounds like Devine and Welsh are coming back, and it would be a surprise if Cammy Mackay and Hyde didn't stay too.

Doran has been a wonderful servant to the club but certainly seems be trending downwards. Hard to justify keeping him on. Is he not entitled to a testimonial by now?

I remain unconvinced by Duffy and I suspect the management team are too.

i think Duffy has more of a future with us as CB, so i would keep him especially with Broadfoot gone. If Deas stayed that would be a bonus, hope he can be persuaded. Devine has been a rock this year [helped by Broadfoot's experience?] so if he and Welsh stay on that's the core of the side, and Hyde defo looks promising.

With Sutherland out for a long time and Out of Contract, I'd like to see a decent tall ball winning Striker brought in, a Right back is a must to allow Carson to cover the right wing. Tom Walsh seems perennially injury prone, so we need a winger [can we get either Person or Chalmers back on a season loan?] Doran is only 31 and I think there is still more he can give us, but maybe needs to be managed to maintain peak fitness/avoidance of injuries

Samuels has proved to have real potential, so it's great that he and Billy M are with us next season. 

Lets hope we get our business down fairly quickly, as arguably I don't see Dundee coming down as a massive threat to us [certainly less so than Kilmarnock] Cove Rangers are a bit of unknown as are Queens Park, but we have as much chance of anyone for that automatic promotion spot....Squad depth might be the key, not just quality or balance

I for one respect Doran with regards to being a fantastic servant to the club etc however I do feel now is the time for him to be moved on to free up some of the wages to bring newer fresher players in for a promotion push next season. In my opinion I see Lee Connollys contract at QOS is coming to and end this season and was always quite impressed with how he played against us. 22 years of age as well so lot of upside to potentially signing him however unsure what he makes currently and if we could compete with that.

• Agree 3

DO we start a new thread for 2022/23?

In the meantime McAlear has all but confirmed that he won't be back with us next season. The Ross County rumours intensify...

Hardy isn't mentioned as having left - I wonder whether that means he may be joining permanently - Yes he is, I'm clearly blind

"a run which saw us not win a match in 3 months, following some horrible circumstances that quite honestly, no decent person should have to deal with"...if that's referring to what I think it's referring to, that's certainly an interesting way of putting it...

Edited by hislopsoffsideagain

17 minutes ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Hardy isn't mentioned as having left - I wonder whether that means he may be joining permanently.

"a run which saw us not win a match in 3 months, following some horrible circumstances that quite honestly, no decent person should have to deal with"...if that's referring to what I think it's referring to, that's certainly an interesting way of putting it...

Hardy back to parent club. 

The club can also confirm Joe Hardy will return to his parent club. We’d like to thank Joe for his efforts while at the club.

Think this also answers a few questions about standing by those who were injured. While it may cost us a few quid, standing by your players as they rehab from injury is not only morally the right thing to do, but also good for our reputation with players considering a move to the club. You want to work for an employer who knows how to treat you right!  

Shane Sutherland sadly suffered a serious knee injury during the Arbroath semi-final and even though he will be out for a number of months, we will be offering Shane a new contract and making sure he is very well looked after.  

Tom Walsh, who went through a big knee operation on Wednesday, will also be fully supported so that we can make sure both boys come back stronger and ready to boost the squad sometime next season.  Roddy MacGregor who suffered a broken jaw in the last regular game of the season, will also be rehabbed with the utmost care.  

We can also confirm that we have either offered contracts or are currently in negotiation with several new players. 

Physio Dougal Sim leaves us to enjoy a very happy and well-deserved retirement with his family and we will be making an exciting announcement re the Medical Dept in the next few days. 

• Well Said 1

Glad to see Shane being supported and offered a new contract.

Personally and with great regret, I would not be offering Aaron a new contract. We have a very limited budget which, these days, would probably be better spent on recruiting someone younger, fitter and less injury prone.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, RiG said:

I feel like that statement was updated after it was posted. I didn't see Hardy mentioned in it at all... 

It may well have been. It differs from the emailed statement which doesn't mention him. 

Which Nicolson is leaving: Harry or Lewis?

I thought Lewis showed potential in the few games he appeared in after Christmas before going on loan, and Ross Tokely rates him. 

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

Which Nicolson is leaving: Harry or Lewis?

I thought Lewis showed potential in the few games he appeared in after Christmas before going on loan, and Ross Tokely rates him. 

Answering my own question after reading the CEO’s update, it is Harry that is leaving. Hopefully Lewis remains under contract.

https://ictfc.com/update-from-ceo-scot-gardiner-27-05-2022

It is a comprehensive and helpful update and I hope it is the first of many. A monthly update should be possible all year I’d have thought, whilst there is no mention of the Fans’ Forum, which will hopefully resume. However, I will give the benefit of the doubt and hope that this is the start of a new dawn in terms of communication.

It was clearly a difficult time for the club after the Gardyne debacle, but it sounds like they have come through it strongly as a squad and management team, which is encouraging for the future.

I’m pleased we are standing by Sutherland and have no issues with those contract discussions are taking place with. Hopefully we get them signed up soon.

Recruitment will be key for next season so hopefully the targets being looked at will not only fill the gaps we have but also enhance the quality and potential we have.

Roll on next season!

On 5/24/2022 at 8:13 AM, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Signed up for next season:

Mark Ridgers

David Carson

Robbie Deas

Cameron Harper

Scott Allardice

Roddy MacGregor

Tom Walsh

Billy Mckay

Austin Samuels

Definitely leaving:

Reece McAlear (end of loan)

Logan Chalmers (end of loan)

Joe Hardy (end of loan)

Kirk Broadfoot

Ryan Fyffe (signed for Buckie Thistle)

Out of contract:

Cammy Mackay

Danny Devine

Wallace Duffy

Harry Nicolson

Lewis Nicolson

Aaron Doran

Lewis Hyde

Sean Welsh

Shane Sutherland

With this week’s news, we have:

Ridgers

MacKay

Devine

Deas

Harper

Carson

Allardice

MacGregor

Hyde

Walsh

Mckay

Samuels

and are likely to have:

Duffy

Welsh

Doran

Sutherland

but Walsh and Sutherland will miss at least the early part of the season.

We will also have some of the current youngsters but I’ve no idea which remain under contract, hopefully Lewis Nicolson is.

Full backs, possibly a centre half and wide players are the priority for me.

3 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I would add a reliable goalscorer - a proper striker.  So basically we need people everywhere except in goal :lol:

The trouble is everyone at our level is looking for a reliable goalscorer but those who have proved themselves such tend to be in demand at a higher level and command a salary outwith the reach of Championship clubs.

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I would add a reliable goalscorer - a proper striker.  So basically we need people everywhere except in goal :lol:

We have two in Mckay and Sutherland, and hopefully Samuels is a third.

If we can give them the right service and play to their strengths rather than hoofing long high balls forward, goals should come.

It is unfortunate we won’t have Sutherland available for some time.

Edited by Robert

I really think we need a tall striker, a target man, so, that if the game isn't going our way, we can change tactics, and, as we seem to like the long punt up the park, it would be nice if we could actually win some balls in the air, instead of our opponents centre backs winning everything and it coming straight back at us. In the last couple of seasons we had White and Todorov, and it gave us options. We play our best football on the deck with short quick passing moves, and we have got a lot of joy from it, but there is no use bringing on a small striker to replace a small striker when that isn't working, if we need to go route one, then we need the personnel to do it.

• Agree 3

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj pinned this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic