Kilmarnock -v- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

Killie are a decent team & splashed the cash for some decent signings. Our new additions are welcome, but I still feel disappointed with todays result. Slipping down the league a wee bit with the teams above with games in hand. I hope we manage a playoff place and sort ourselves out by then !

27 minutes ago, Robert said:

Since when have more than three subs been allowed in league games?

Since 3 days ago for the Championship and League 1.  The Premiership and League 2 already had 5 subs in place.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19876432.scottish-championship-league-1-clubs-vote-favour-five-substitutes-rule/

No denying Kilmarnock were the better team,we don't seem able to get back to our good passing game and being able to get the second ball.

30 minutes ago, CaleyCiuin said:

Killie are a decent team & splashed the cash for some decent signings. Our new additions are welcome, but I still feel disappointed with todays result. Slipping down the league a wee bit with the teams above with games in hand. I hope we manage a playoff place and sort ourselves out by then !

Disagree with most on here. Thought we were a touch here and there off the pace. Encouraging signs from the new guys. Let's not forget we had 5 regulars missing from the starting line up and played with two newbies from the start. All is not lost, need to win the return fixture near the end of the season.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Disagree with most on here. Thought we were a touch here and there off the pace. Encouraging signs from the new guys. Let's not forget we had 5 regulars missing from the starting line up and played with two newbies from the start. All is not lost, need to win the return fixture near the end of the season.

I agree, there were encouraging signs and we could have got back into it. Hopefully when the new players have had more time to settle in and get to know their team mates they are able to make an impact.

Equally we had Ridgers to thank for a couple of saves or it could have been more than 1-0.

We now have two home games and need to target 6 points from them, particularly with Arbroath playing Kilmarnock next weekend.

4 points out of 18 is not good enough if we want to continue to be genuine title and promotion challengers. 

• Agree 1

I thought that was a pretty poor game with one of the rare flashes of quality being the difference. Slack play from Sutherland leads to a chance for MacKay to whip in a wonderful cross for Lafferty to easily finish from a few yards out. 

Apart from this move I didn't think Killie created too much of note that troubled Ridgers. Unfortunately for us we created even less of note. Some long range efforts that went wide from Chalmers and Pearson (I think) and that was it. In the second half we seemed to have a couple of better opportunities to draw level. One of the Killie players made a hash of trying to shield the ball out of play and it looked like McAlear picked his pocket but he couldn't find a team mate to finish off the move.

Most of the game seemed to be use trying to get a move going only to end up lumping it towards Sutherland or Hardy and neither of them looked particularly useful holding the ball up. None of the new signings stood out but that was only their first start or full game for us. Pearson and Chalmers could be useful for us but I don't think we got the ball to them enough to show what they can do.

On the plus side McAlear and Welsh turned in decent showings in the middle of the pitch and Deas (with Broadfoot) kept Lafferty pretty quiet for the time he was on the pitch save for the goal. 

An improving Morton team is a tricky test next weekend. Can't say I am looking forward to it.

• Agree 2

As I have said before, I don't think our performance varies that much from game to game.  Sometimes we get a break, sometimes we don't.

Having said that, Ridgers had more to do yesterday than usual.  No surpise, with regular defenders out or on the bench.

I liked what I saw of both Pearson and Chalmers.  Both seemed to have energy and something else that's been missing - directness.  Pick the ball up and head for goal - give the defences something to stop.

Samuels looked good too. 

I like the idea that we have brought so much youth into the side.  (Although yes I do know that we have our own youngsters, too.)  I look forward to some more spirited displays in the coming weeks.

Well as you'd expect from Killie tv, No much action from our point of view apart from howlers.

Didn't watch the game live so i can't comment on performance which seems to have mixed views depending on which way your glass is!

Either way next Saturday is crucial for our season, We need a performance for sure, But injuries are a worry with a few key players out.

I'd get Shane out of the starting 11, Along with Carson he's been pretty poor recently.

I'll be there on Saturday as usual, Hoping for a great performance and a good win but half expecting a draw after losing a goal in the 85 min....  

1 minute ago, ictbob said:

Sad day when Billy publicly comes out and says players aren't turning up. This from the man that played gardyne when he new what was going on. Sounds more like he's lost the dressing room. 

Hard to disagree. If there are players who don't believe we can win then the next question surely has to be why do they feel that? Whats going on off the field? 

Stunned at Dodds’ comments that some players didn’t think we could win it. It is his job to motivate the players so they expect to be able to get a result in any game.

We’d beaten Killie twice this season so there was no reason for them not believing we could beat them again.

The challenge now for the management team is getting the mindset right before we play much improved Morton on Saturday. We need a team and squad who believe we can start winning again or our poor form will continue.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

As I have said before, I don't think our performance varies that much from game to game.  Sometimes we get a break, sometimes we don't.

Having said that, Ridgers had more to do yesterday than usual.  No surpise, with regular defenders out or on the bench.

I liked what I saw of both Pearson and Chalmers.  Both seemed to have energy and something else that's been missing - directness.  Pick the ball up and head for goal - give the defences something to stop.

Samuels looked good too. 

I like the idea that we have brought so much youth into the side.  (Although yes I do know that we have our own youngsters, too.)  I look forward to some more spirited displays in the coming weeks.

Sounds like we lost a tight game, but also encouraging that the new boys have something about them which could be the lift we need...If we can get back the players we had last season in Carson and MacGregor soon, I have high hopes [Whats the new's on MacGregor's injury?].... I'm the eternal optimist!

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Stunned at Dodds’ comments that some players didn’t think we could win it. It is his job to motivate the players so they expect to be able to get a result in any game.

We’d beaten Killie twice this season so there was no reason for them not believing we could beat them again.

The challenge now for the management team is getting the mindset right before we play much improved Morton on Saturday. We need a team and squad who believe we can start winning again or our poor form will continue.

We went through a similar phase last season, and harsh words were said then [particularily from some supporters on here] But the side rallied. It's possible that some of the lads were feeling a bit sorry for themselves without key senior players in the squad and perhaps thinking that beating Killie three times in a row is a big ask....Yes, it shouldn't happen, but much of football is what goes on between the ears. Hopefully 4 young eager newbies with some tricks up their sleeves and some energy might be the small thing that re-focusses minds and changes the dynamic of the side.

Anyway despite the disappointment of Covid denying me a trip up yesterday, the wife and I are up for the Arbroath home match in March, so here's hoping it's still all to play for

15 hours ago, caley100 said:

Well as you'd expect from Killie tv, No much action from our point of view apart from howlers.

Didn't watch the game live so i can't comment on performance which seems to have mixed views depending on which way your glass is!

Either way next Saturday is crucial for our season, We need a performance for sure, But injuries are a worry with a few key players out.

I'd get Shane out of the starting 11, Along with Carson he's been pretty poor recently.

I'll be there on Saturday as usual, Hoping for a great performance and a good win but half expecting a draw after losing a goal in the 85 min....  

Agree we need to drop Sutherland

On 1/29/2022 at 8:28 PM, RiG said:

An improving Morton team is a tricky test next weekend. Can't say I am looking forward to it.

With you there RiG - their performance on Friday night showed that Dougie Imrie will be bringing a totally different prospect from the side we faced in December.

16 minutes ago, CaleyCanary said:

With you there RiG - their performance on Friday night showed that Dougie Imrie will be bringing a totally different prospect from the side we faced in December.

Yes they will be very quick and tough in the tackle!

• tm4tj unpinned this topic