Next manager; Season 2024-2025

Much as I hate to see people losing their jobs, I think we've given Big Dunc long enough to prove himself.

A manager he is not, and he's not going to get any better.

So, just to hurry things along, who would you like to see in the ICT hot-seat?

With our history of unearthing untried managers in the past (some good, some not so good!) I would love to see the club taking a punt on ROSS TOKELY to oversee next season's rebuild.

He has limited but successful management experience at a lower level but what impresses me most about him is his knowledge of the game when he's part of the commentary team. Last night for instance he was quite critical of our tactics and clearly knew how we should have played. Most of all, he is passionate about our club and I think that is something that's been lacking for the past couple of seasons.

Any other suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, buckett said:

Any other suggestions?

needs to have a poll listing your options for us to assess also noting we still currently have a contracted manager in Dunc.

I'd love to see some combination of any of the following as our management/coaching team:

Ross Draper, David Raven, Gary Warren, Carl Tremarco, Ryan Esson and Ross Tokely.

I get that some will think ex players is lazy or backward thinking (and we got burned with Foran) but they all have attributes that make them worthy of consideration.

• Thoughtful 2

45 minutes ago, STFU said:

I'd love to see some combination of any of the following as our management/coaching team:

Ross Draper, David Raven, Gary Warren, Carl Tremarco, Ryan Esson and Ross Tokely.

I get that some will think ex players is lazy or backward thinking (and we got burned with Foran) but they all have attributes that make them worthy of consideration.

We will probably end up with Kelllacher as the cheap available option.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, buckett said:

Much as I hate to see people losing their jobs, I think we've given Big Dunc long enough to prove himself.

A manager he is not, and he's not going to get any better.

So, just to hurry things along, who would you like to see in the ICT hot-seat?

With our history of unearthing untried managers in the past (some good, some not so good!) I would love to see the club taking a punt on ROSS TOKELY to oversee next season's rebuild.

He has limited but successful management experience at a lower level but what impresses me most about him is his knowledge of the game when he's part of the commentary team. Last night for instance he was quite critical of our tactics and clearly knew how we should have played. Most of all, he is passionate about our club and I think that is something that's been lacking for the past couple of seasons.

Any other suggestions?

Ross Tokely has committed to managing Nairn County next season. Shame as I think he could do a better job than what we have just now.

Edited by Red White and Blue
  • Agree 3

More importantly than anything to me if you have had the job previously you cannot have it again (before Hughes nominates himself). Not against Tokely, but what managerial experience does he have? Draper hasn't exactly set the heather alight at Elgin. 

• Agree 4

I really want Ryan Esson for one reason alone: He has worked wonders with our youngsters which is a squad we will be full of next season perhaps with a few signings (preferably from the Highland League) and the experienced contracted players we have. 

We probably need an experienced manager to get us out of the mess we're in but tbh there just isn't any realistic candidates that are classed as "experienced" hence why I have gone with Ryan Esson, at least he will get the team playing in a manner we can be content with.

As much as I want Barry Robson, I just don't see him as being realistic @StephenMalkmus but it's a great shout nonetheless : ictscarf:

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Graeme (Spider) Stewart is surely a decent shout? Especially if we are heading towards PT football or worse...

Won HFL twice with Buckie, plays attractive football with lots of goals, knows the North football scene well and what potential players are available, and he is currently available after leaving Buckie the other week

Could he be our modern Pele?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thoughtful 2

59 minutes ago, ForzaCaley said:

Graeme (Spider) Stewart is surely a decent shout? Especially if we are heading towards PT football or worse...

Won HFL twice with Buckie, plays attractive football with lots of goals, knows the North football scene well and what potential players are available, and he is currently available after leaving Buckie the other week

What a shout 😀😀😀😀 and certainly gets a YES from me, I think I jokingly touted him in the past due to his work at Buckie so now he is certainly a realistic and possibly affordable contender.  Playing attractive football would be a bonus as would his knowledge of North football/available players.

Could he be out modern day Pele? Who knows, we won't know if we don't try 🔵🔴.

• Agree 1
  • Thoughtful 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, STFU said:

I think you will find that Dunc also had “ attributes that made him worthy of consideration” before he was given the job. Don’t think any of the above played for years in englands top league and managed a premier league team ( for a while anyway). Ancelotti also offered to take him to Madrid.

we need to forget the “ he played for us so give him the job”

try for someone who knows the Scottish game, and has cut his teeth already as a Scottish league manager. Can’t put a name to him at present but someone like Jim Mcinally or Paul Hartley who both know the lower leagues.

of course that is if the position becomes available.

Edited by bishbashbosh
Forgot a wee bit

9 hours ago, CaleyTennis85 said:

I really want Ryan Esson for one reason alone: He has worked wonders with our youngsters

Can you expand on this? I perhaps dont follow the youth teams that much so maybe the achievements and accolades have passed me by.

Any manager decision would depend on what if any budget there would be. I doubt if we pay off Dunc & Bollan there would be much desire/ability to invest heavily in a manager given where we are with playing squad rebuild. Therefore you may be right about Esson being already incumbent and cheap option along with Kellagher.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bishbashbosh said:

I think you will find that Dunc also had “ attributes that made him worthy of consideration” before he was given the job

I suppose that 5% win rate as Forest Green Rovers manager is pretty impressive when you think about it.

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

I suppose that 5% win rate as Forest Green Rovers manager is pretty impressive when you think about it.

I remember how forgiving we were about that, not so long ago.

"Wasn't his fault," we said.

Now we're not so sure!

Dunc defends himself by saying that results since he came here would put us 5th if the season had started then.  He also points out the bad run of injuries we have sustained.  Both of these are legitimate points.  However, closer inspection of the issues suggest he is probably not the man for us.  

When he arrived there was some understandable excitement.  This was fuelled by the new manager "bounce" when we picked up 15 points from his first 8 games in charge.  Then reality hit.  Just when a good manager would be consolidating the team's performances as he gets to know the players better and what challenges the opposition provide, our form dipped.  Despite picking up a good few points at the death, our "post bounce" total of 26 points from 22 games would also have seen us in 9th if averaged over the season.  And whilst we have had injuries, the Board have somehow managed to support him to bring in several players on loan.  We have had regularly been able to have a full bench without having to call upon untried youngsters.  We have had far worse injury problems over our time in the Championship without any real threat of relegation.

So not only have his players and his style of play produced a low end of the table performance, his turgid style of football is just so frustrating and boring to watch.  Now that we are in Division 1, at least let us have a manager who is going to put a team on the park that plays an attractive, exciting style of football.  

• Agree 3

Those harping on about Dunc currently being the manager will also remember that he was contracted to keep us in the Championship and has failed to do that so I would imagine we should be able to get rid as he failed to meet the contracted terms? ... Let's hope so because he isn't manager material, assistant yes, but not a manager. We will hopefully save money by being rid of Gardiner, and at least then we might be able to afford an experienced lower league manager - because experience is what we need (Dodds, Ferguson, Foran - all inexperienced and we never learn). No League 1 club needs a CEO and to be fair the tea lady would do a better job than that absolute belter.

• Well Said 4

Well, I stayed away from this forum for many years and my former starchief name is no more. I've looked regularly and despaired. I guess it's time to jump back in the cauldron.

I thought Dunc was the wrong choice in the very beginning (have you seen his Forest Green record?) but was willing to give him a chance. He seemed to think we were deservedly bottom of the Championship when, in fact, we were in a cup final the previous season, which probably put paid to having the legs for promotion. Dodds was sacked for being out of promotion, not due to relegation fears! Fergie comes in and thinks it's backs to the wall. Plays six defenders in most matches, although Kerr in midfield. He was joined there by Billy, who still was our top scorer despite not playing as a striker! For those who think he's finished, Lineker played poorly under Cruyff when he was a winger. Shankland was awful when a left-back at Beerschott. Play Billy as a striker and we get a striker that can score.

I look at the defenders brought in. How many are better than Devine? None I would say. Savage and Carragher are about the same but not better. Well, what's the point? Kerr looked excellent. Shame we got rid of two of our best midfielders though, then we wouldn't have to play him in midfield. I thought Rory looked better in the last half of the play-off when he replaced Billy. But then , that's his position! Imagine if he had played enough games to be match fit? Samuels was easily a better winger-cum-striker than Longstaff, yet was only played when we needed a goal desperately. Well, we need goals and creativity long before that. Get him on.

All-in-all, a terrible appointment. I don't know who was worse, Fergie or Foran.

I do like the idea of Esson or Stewart given the players we will be looking to. Just go for someone with a clue. A decent League One or Two manager shooting slightly above what his team should be doing. Underwhelming but knowledgeable at this level.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 1
  • Thoughtful 1

On 5/20/2024 at 12:37 AM, ForzaCaley said:

I think someone like this on 2 year deal would be very interesting and certainly won't be 4k a week.

1 hour ago, Downinthedumps said:

Esson is a goal keeping coach what sort of formation were you  about . 11 at the back 😊

It’s like when I saw the Scotland Euros squad with 4 goalkeepers - are we gonna play them all at once?!