FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

How to part with a club

Harry Chibber

Sky Link

"It's been a real adventure here and it's one I'll never forget, but I need a fresh challenge.

"This is no reflection on all the help and support I've had here because I'm leaving some really good friends.

"I'd also like to say a special thank you to all the supporters who have shouted for me these last six years and who voted me as the player of the year last season.

"That was a special moment that will always live with me.

"I think the team will do well under Chris Huthchings and I'm sure the supporters will get the success they deserve."

The only reason he is leaving is because he is a life long Everton fan, I'm glad to see some players do give a cr@p about the fans.

I think too much fuss is made about departed/ departing players. I would really find it difficult to say much against the manner of the departure of Dargo, Brown or Dods and I am certainly not aware of anything that any of them has said against Caley Thistle at any time since.

I think, to an extent, they have been harshly judged by SOME ICT fans.

I know that the Dargo situation looked very messy... will he, won't he etc.... and to some it might have seemed strange that he then signed for St. Mirren. However I don't think that the player's fundamental need to get back south is fully appreciated. In particular, I understand that his girlfriend was very keen to get back home and in that light I can appreciate that he would want to take his time about it - and who could blame him if he waited for the best possible deal once he had made a decision to move?

As far as I am concerned, Mark Brown made a career decision to take up an offer from a very large club - with far more money, more exposure to the international shop window and opportunities to play in Europe. The reverse side of that decision was that there was a significant chance that he would spend a long time on the bench, which he has done.... until now....

Remember also that a large slice of the profit which Caley Thistle has just declared has come from Mark Brown's move.

I also think that Darren Dods' move to United was very much influenced by the central belt factor, and understandably so. A lot of these players come up here, do a great job, but understandably want back home after a while. And what a professional Darren was during the months between his pre contract and passing the captain's armband on to Grant Munro. I certainly made a point of shaking him by the hand and congratulating him on that after the last home game.

Caley Thistle fans thought there was no life after the departure of, for instance, Bobby Mann and David Bingham. Need I say more on that? And despite the slight controversy apparently generated at the time by Mrs. Mann, I note that Bobby is rightly on the short list for the Hall of Fame.

However I don't think that the player's fundamental need to get back south is fully appreciated. In particular, I understand that his girlfriend was very keen to get back home

I also think that Darren Dods' move to United was very much influenced by the central belt factor, and understandably so. A lot of these players come up here, do a great job, but understandably want back home after a while.

Yes, because the central belt is so far away!

I really hate the old line of "I don't wanna leave the central belt", it's 3 hours in a car FFS!

Yes we all know that but it still means that these guys need to live "away from home" which they don't especially like, would prefer not to do and don't do if they either don't have to or there's no significant advantage from doing so.

And while I agree that people from the central belt are perhaps a bit more conscious of distance than we Highlanders (for whom it's long been part of the culture) that's just the way things are. Irrespective of how disadvantageous this "Central Belt" thinking is to clubs up here, it's part of football life and they might as well get on with it.

I had a very interesting discussion in the press box on Saturday with a gentleman who thought that it was terrible that Rangers had to travel to Inverness and Aberdeen so often. Unfortunately we had just got to the bit where I was pointing out that this was a trip ICT and the Dons had to make every fortnight when my phone rang. Whether or not it was significant that this gentleman happened to be wearing a royal blue tie and had a large royal blue hankerchief in his suit pocket I wouldn't care to comment.

I remember heaping sarcasm on a Clyde (I think) fan on P&B a few years back when we introduced paying for parking. He thought it was unfair to pay for parking after travelling so far......

Same for those who complain if we only have a couple of hundred at away games whereas they justify having 200 themselves because it's 'too far'.