FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New Manager

Scotty

Of the candidates to emerge so far, who would you go for [more names may be added and you CAN change your vote]  

516 members have voted

1. 1.

• Brewster
    • Warnock
    • Malpas
    • Robertson
    • Pressley
    • Coyle

Seems we are getting loads of names thrown about in various threads so thought I would bring it all into one where we can list the 'serious' candidates for the job and discuss the pros and cons .....

so far I would say that the following have emerged as potential candidates for the job

Craig Brewster:

Pros - been here before, could hit the ground running. We were fitter under him.

Cons - left us in the lurch to go elsewhere. track record at ICT was ok but at DUFC was bad. significant fan resentment

John Robertson:

Pros - As with Brewster, been here before. proven record of winning at ICT. donald Park as assistant (?)

Cons - left us in the lurch to go elsewhere. good record at ICT but not so good at Hearts, County and Livi. compensation to current club.

Neil Warnock:

Pros - Big name might attract players. seems to be interested.

Cons - may be easily tempted back south. unknown quantity in SPL.

Maurice Malpas:

Pros - cant think of any

Cons - look up Motherwell in dictionary.

Steven Pressley:

Pros - Would solve both the managerial and defensive vacancy. High profile international player. known as a leader

Cons - never been a manager, might be no good. might be tempted by other offers.

Owen Coyle:

Pros - Seems to have done well at all clubs he has managed. might like challenge of managing at higher level.

Cons - St Johnstone didnt get promoted even though Gretna were rank at end of season. Compensation.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing Brew has over Warnock is that we might be able to squeeze a few more games out of him as a player but that's about it.

Pressley would be 'interesting' and would be the likeliest candidate if we were picking our manager by previous criteria.

I don't think ANYONE wants Malpas.

If IHE is right of course there's no point in anybody going to that meeting tomorrow night  :rolleyes02:

In my opinion, if Neil Warnock was interested in the job, which I believe he is and was happy with what we could pay him, we would have to be mad not to give this serious consideration.

His contacts down south alone would surpass anything anyone else could bring in.  He also has more managerial experience than all other candidates put together.

Hiring an inexperienced manager in our present position is not worth the risk?

I would suggest Owen Coyle is worthy of more consideration than Malpas. His record at Falkirk was also excellent before he joined St Johnstone...

He's also the kind of guy that players have a lot of respect for....

Can we afford to offer Pressley the same kind of money as he is getting at Celtic? I think he is definitely manager material, but how long would it be before any future new owners at Hearts would want him back there?

Would Warnock see a move here as long term? Would Robbo be any more reliable second time around?

Brewster might be a safe option, and I'm quite sure he would keep us in the SPL, but maybe not  much more than that...!!

What about Graham Rix? By all accounts desperate to get back into football management....

The more I think about this the more I realise I haven't a feckin clue who would be the best choice...

:024: :024:

The more I think about this the more I realise I haven't a feckin clue who would be the best choice...

just like the rest of us (IHE excepted ;))

Guest scrivster

It's nice to see warnock expressing interest in the club.

I really don't want brewster to come back though as  He left us for "better things" when he was doing well with Inverness.  I enjoyed watching him fall flat on his face in Dundee.

I really don't want brewster to come back though I enjoyed watching him fall flat on his face in Dundee.

We all enjoyed that - one of the highlights of last season....  :022:

I still wouldn't mind see him have another stab at this one though....

Does Steven Pressely have the necessary coaching badges ? If so he would be a risky but attractive candidate especially as he would help plug the defensive gap at the same time.

Of the candidates mentioned so far, my choice would be Owen Coyle who has had success as a manager albeit not at SPL level and who knows the scottish game inside out.

Of our former managers only Steve Paterson would, in my view, be a good appontment.

Guest WynessLegend

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I hadn't seen these clips before - It's enough to convince me he could very well be the man for the job...!!! :022:

agree completely ..... this sort of passion is what we have missed since Robbo left.

if we've got to go down it would be nice to go down fighting.

Warnock's CV is pretty good - in particular Notts County and Sheffield Utd taken into the top division, he's also a qualified referee and a chiropodist to boot (no pub intended). Apparantly turned down Chelsea while at Notts County, and given his age and experience I don't think he'd be off at the first 'big club' vacancy.

An interesting and controversial character for sure!

An interesting and controversial character for sure!

It would certainly be an interesting appointment.....  :024:

I still can't believe he's on record as saying he would be interested in this one... What would attract a character like that, with his impressive CV to Inverness and the SPL...?