FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brew makes his 34768th move [renamed]

Guest Arabest

Arabest are you not a bit concerned with Brewsters obession with ICT players??

I dont see an obsession, I see a manager bringing in players he knows can do a job (amongst others).  Dods is purely a stop gap who wont command a large wage.  If we dont get him then its not a big deal to me.  However Brew wants to build for the future with Proctor and Black which is fair enough.  I havent seen either to comment on whether they would be good signings or not.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Brew looks at Dods as a stop gap. I understand that Dods, as he unsuccessfully requested from ICt, wants to go on a coaching couse and coaching experience as part of his contract. I hear that is the main lure for the Arabs plus he could commute daily from Embra and chuck all the condoms out of his bathroom cabinet. I think he is getting laldy from a frustrated woman.

Guest Arabest

Being a fan of ICT, do you not find it at all disturbing that you are retaining a player who simply doesnt want to be there?

If he plays like he did against Hibs for every game until the end of the season I'll be delighted to have him at ICT.  The fact of the matter is that he wants to be closer to be closer to his misses & family which is not exactly a reason to hate the guy.  What is annoying is the conduct of his agent to make his feelings known to the press regarding Dods transfer request.  He is at ICT for the remainder of his contract and if he wants to leave after this season fair play to him but in that time we can look for a replacement or you never know he might decide that moving to Inverness would be a good idea for him and his misses.  I didn't agree witht CC and the boards decision originally but after seeing the way Dods reacted on Saturday I'm more than happy that he will be with us for another season

Dods was quoted on Saturday as saying he regards it a great honour to captain ICT.

In this era of well paid footballers it's only a hop step & jump from Sneck to Embra by air..... A thirty minute journey.....  He couldn't get from Embra to Slumdee in that time... :angel11:

Being a fan of ICT, do you not find it at all disturbing that you are retaining a player who simply doesnt want to be there?

Its not that he doesn't want to be here, it's more that he wants to be with his family. Trust a United fan to be negaive. And as a United fan do you not find it disturbing that five of your first team were told they were no longer required when you still had matches left last season and some of them were required? Smacks of poor man management to me, no wonder United lack motivation and are the league's underachievers.

And as far as the house situation goes, I've heard that the crack is that new builds can be made available for the full market valuation but obviously anyone offered this would get it fixed price and not have to compete with other bids. Could be a tidy investment for a midfielder with a young family  :003:

Guest Arabest

And as a United fan do you not find it disturbing that five of your first team were told they were no longer required when you still had matches left last season and some of them were required? Smacks of poor man management to me, no wonder United lack motivation and are the league's underachievers.

No, being a coach at a decent level myself this was an excellent test of character for the players concerned - and it worked.

You mean they were so insulted by the way they were being treated that they left? Aye it worked, but hardly a shining example to other players coming in is it?

Guest Arabest

You mean they were so insulted by the way they were being treated that they left? Aye it worked, but hardly a shining example to other players coming in is it?

It shows how little you must know about it then matey  :006:.  I make it no wins in 3 with the team that Brew has moulded in his short time at United.  But I'd say a creditable draw at Ibrox and Rugby Park isn't to be sniffed at.

The big test is if we could perform at home following these 2 away results, it was common knowledge that ICT were no use at home under Brewster (or CC for that matter!).

Our home form isn't great but I'm not the one posting on another teams forum pretending I support a big club that other teams players would jump at the chance to play for am I?

Just for balance, I've checked Soccerbase and you're last home win was against Livi in March, in fact that was your last win full stop. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have to go that long without seeing your team win - because Ive never had to.

Brew's stats as manager

Dundee Utd  16-01-2006  Present  P 19 W 1 L 10 D 8  % games won 5.263

Inverness CT  25-11-2004  13-01-2006  P 50 W 17 L 15 D 18  % games won 34

Charlie's stats as manager

Inverness CT  13-01-2006  Present  P 23 W 10 L 6 D 7  % games won 43.478

I know who'd I'd prefer to have as a manager  :003:

Guest cantbeatus

Our home form isn't great but I'm not the one posting on another teams forum pretending I support a big club that other teams players would jump at the chance to play for am I?

Just for balance, I've checked Soccerbase and you're last home win was against Livi in March, in fact that was your last win full stop. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have to go that long without seeing your team win - because Ive never had to.

Brew's stats as manager

Dundee Utd  16-01-2006  Present   P 19 W 1 L 10 D 8   % games won 5.263

Inverness CT  25-11-2004  13-01-2006  P 50 W 17 L 15 D 18  % games won 34

Charlie's stats as manager

Inverness CT  13-01-2006  Present   P 23 W 10 L 6 D 7  % games won 43.478

I know who'd I'd prefer to have as a manager  :003:

Doesn't work like that mee, you come across as a bit stupid.

Different situations, imo CC would have a similiar record to Brew had he taken the job at DUFC that Brew has, i also believe Brew would have had

as good if not better record than CC had he remained ICT's manager.

The time to judge Brew is now that he is starting to shape his own team, its taken awhile, he told the lazy high earners where to go and rightfully so and was playing kids, the team that finished the season for us was night & day to what began it under Chiz.

No Arab thinks United are a big club, there are only two of those in Scotland, however in Scottish tersm United are the 6th sized club in everyway....other than league position of course, but obviously we cannot finish 6th every season, just like Aberdeen couldnt finish 3rd every season (until Hearts overtook them size wise)....there is no disputing that we are a "bigger" club than ICT though, if we get it right on the park then we have potential, in 96/97 for example our lowest home attendance was 8k against killie midweek and that was when Tanny's capacity was 12k and sold out every away allocation, imo even the wee team(Dundee) are bigger than ICT, that will probably change the way both clubs are heading though, ICT are establishing themselves well.

"Doesn't work like that mee, you come across as a bit stupid."

A lot of people who don't understand a point will assume the person making the point is stupid, maybe if you'd done maths instead of methadone in school you'd have a better grasp of statistics.

Here's another example - I think your name is stupid as clearly there isn't a team in Scotland who can't beat you matey Not counting Rangers of course  :001:

The critical point is that we don't hand Brewster a win when they come here. I imagine that as the world's worse PR expert and most hated person to set foot in the Highlands Brewster will find himself up against a team with support that wishes to exert retribution for the way he sought to tear us apart - after telling the world he was taking our backroom team and attempting to lure our players to what he described on his very loyal and amicable departure 'a bigger team'. Even Dundee United supporters are not sure if they have been brain washed or not as they are convinced by Brewster that he will take them to the 'promised land' which I suspect for him is Greece. It is unlikely all supporters will follow him.

I actually agree with cantbeatus. Brewster would have had just as good a record as CC had he not left. If anyone thinks that CC is more gifted in the managers role than CB then they should think again.

We are doing just as well/poor in certain games under both of them. I doubt even Capello could get something out of the utter sheecht that is at Tannadice just now.

Guest Arabest

Where?  I think you need to take wee breather and think before you post.  You are making a tit of yourself.

I admit celtic1-3caley, this match looks as though it will be a bit of a grudge match!  I look forward to it now that Dundee are in the first division.

RiG, I also agree with your point although I would change that to:

"I doubt even Capello could get something out of the utter sheecht that was at Tannadice last season."

I actually agree with cantbeatus. Brewster would have had just as good a record as CC had he not left. If anyone thinks that CC is more gifted in the managers role than CB then they should think again.

We are doing just as well/poor in certain games under both of them. I doubt even Capello could get something out of the utter sheecht that is at Tannadice just now.

Obviously Brew has got a very difficult job at United but I doubt Brew would have done aswell has CC has since taking over.

His 5 out of 5 at the end of the season if not anything else, Brew's home record was horrible and it wasn't just the lack of points that pi55ed me off but the lack of imagination (and substitutions) the team showed.  Since CC has taken over we have seen some good football back at ICT and yet we still have a solid defence.  He might not have been able to ring the changes by buying a new team like Brew has done at United but he has definately made it his.  IMO all we lost when Brew went was a fitness instructor and striker, even with that I was sick of watching him play himself when he obviously wasn't fit, his ego drove us through games not his skill as a manager.

It's not just CC I'm delighted to have but Parkie aswell and we got all this + 250k

Best bit of business ICT have ever done!!

At the end of the day - I dont give a flying **** what Brew does at Tannadice so long as he (and his chairman) stops trying to lure our players in an unprofessional manner. If he does it professionally and through the right channels, making offers that meet ICT's valuations then fair enough but no more bleating to the press please - it smacks of rattles and prams. And the same goes for ICT - we dont come out of this smelling like roses either and comparisons have been made of the way we obtained Rankin. The situations are fairly different, but there are enough similarities that we cant get all snooty about the grocer and his general assistant.

As for his team .... He did inherit a bunch of overpaid prima donnas who were not performing to anything like their potential and it will take time to resolve that. On paper, the DUFC team should not have finished anywhere near the bottom, but as has often been said, football is played on grass, not on paper. Given his nature, I am sure he probably told all his players they werent performing and some responded well while others did not. Those who responded positively are still there whilst others were slapped on the transfer list or told to train with the youngsters - thats up to him. It will be a real test of his managerial skills to see if he can rebuild a side that desparately needs it as opposed to the 'slight tinkering' he had to do at ICT.

One thing Caley Thistle have - wee team or not - is a great team spirit. Our last two managers may not have lasted very long, but it was their choice to leave and go to clubs where they had a long association. We have never taken the Eddie Thomson approach which seems to be to sack the manager at least once a season, preferring to allow managers to do their job, build their squads, set their tactics and get on with it without the intense pressure of a chairman who seems to be just waiting to issue a 'vote of confidence'. We had bad results under Paterson, Robbo, and Brew but no-one ever reached for the panic button. Similarly, the teams that Robbo, Brew and Christie have all put out on the park were never their own per say .... our stability has seen players like Tokely spend 10 years at the club, Hastings has also spent 10 years with us albeit with a break, as has Barry Wilson - these guys and others always featured in the team regardless of who the manager was.

As for the managers themselves - Brew was adequate, nothing more. As fans of ICT we probably gave him higher status when he was our manager, but thats only natural. We are probably doing the same with Charlie Christie - maybe even moreso given his long association with the club (in the same way DUFC fans will give Brew more leeway). Charlie would be the first to admit he is at the very start of the learning process and will make mistakes - some postings on here have pointed out what fans think to be the odd mistake but most of us have confidence that he will go on to be as long serving and as succesfull a manager for us as Steve Paterson was.

DUFC fans seem to like to call us a wee club .... but its a matter of perspective .... what is a big club ?

3rd and 2nd division sides probably see both as a big club. 1st division sides probably see DUFC as a biggger club as they have been in the SPL longer ... but many of them are modelling themselves on the ICT model - we are debt free, made a profit last season, and try to live within our means. Its unlikely we will ever be a huge team like Celtic or Rangers but we are a **** of a lot bigger than we were only 12 years ago. We also have a fair bit of 'history' for a team that hasnt yet reached its teenage years.

Where I think DUFC fans are getting confused is in their POTENTIAL and PAST HISTORY.

Dundee Utd were a big team - part of the 'new firm' with Aberdeen, and the 3rd (or 4th ?) best club in Scotland year on year. They competed in Europe, and i do mean competed, not just 'took part' like so many Scottish teams these days. But those days are gone. Dundee United are now no better than ICT, finishing below us the last couple of seasons, in debt, and with a far smaller support than they used to have (although still bigger than our growing support). They are not in as bad a mess (financially or otherwise) as some other teams who used to be big .. like Partick, Dundee, or even Raith Rovers but right now they cant claim to be bigger than anyone else in the SPL. Part of the reason for the lack of financial mess is not the reasonable-ness of the wage scale which in some cases -  if figures are to be believed - is ridiculous for an under achieving mid table side but is because of the benevolence of your chairman where finances are concerned.

Where I will concede the point is that DUFC DO have the POTENTIAL to be bigger than ICT a lot quicker if they start improving. There is a fanbase out there that may come back, there is a bigger stadium, there are higher wages that will potentially attract 'better' players (careful of the debts though) so they could get back to where they were in the past a lot more quickly. however, ICT has made slow and steady progess year-on-year and we hope to be around in the SPL for years to come.

Guest Arabest

Excellent post, the key word is potential and that is the word that Brew and Malky use all the time at United.  I dont claim we are a BIGGER team, but your post has hit it all on the head.

Children such as "Mee" should take note!  :clapping04: