FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Do you remember your first game of football in Sneckie?

SMEE

• 2 months later...
Guest gerrybrisbane

Thistle V Celtic friendly about '84, up on holidays.

Went on to play in the reserves before injury and change of career...

• 2 weeks later...

first game i actually remember is the St Mirren friendly in 1994, me and my cousin sitting on the park beside the goal at howden end but im sure there where games before this

vaguely remember going to kingsmills for a dundee united friendly (as a united fan  :023:)? but my dad cant remember it so not sure if im jus imaging it?  :015:

I think my first Caley game was in 1979/1980 against Elgin City and it was only to meet a girl from my class at the High School( Angela) ..My dad used to take me to Grant Street as we lived not far away....but soon after went to Telford Street more & more and i got hooked. I was too young to travel away so went to Grant Street when Caley were away. Byy 1983 i was a regular home & away.

Jesus!... Angela..where is she now, i might have never supported Caley if it werent for her so thanks where ever you are.

My first game was when we played partick thistle in the cup at home, we wan I think!!

I was sooo board!!

then my second was when we wan the 1st division!!

I was in the terracing!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gerrybrisbane

Thistle V Celtic friendly about '84, up on holidays.

Went on to play in the reserves before injury and change of career...

November 1985. Jags went 2-0 up on a snowy night before Celtic came back to 2-2. It was Roshie Fraser's last game in charge before Lofty Black took over.

I remember the cold, snowy night, not much of the game unfortunately.  My dad went into the Corrie and I had to stand outside with a bag of crisps...  Winter is so much warmer (here) now!

• 1 month later...

Charles, this one is possibly for you to date.

A player called George Herd, playing for Thistle, on the wing - ran with a straight back, like a 100m runner, down the wing and was so, so, fit.

I think he was in the forces up here and was a signed player for an English first division team but played some games for Thistle.

Any ideas??

Another early game I saw at Kingsmills involved a very successful Buckie team and they had a winger who only had sight in one eye, but he played to his ability by poaching on the edge of the defence but always on the touchline, so that every ball was cleared, from their defence, to an area near him and he gave the Thistle back a torrid time.

Rod Clyne's book mentions George Herd playing for Jags in 1955/6. A PT instructor from Cameron Barracks who hadn't played competitive football previously ! Went on to play for Queens Park, Clyde, Sunderland and Scotland.

Recalls beating Elgin 8-1 at Kingsmills and the team that day was:

Murd Urquhart, Gordon Inkster, Fed Nimmo, Dave Christie, Willie Roy, Rod Clyne, George Herd, Babsy Grant, Juppy Mitchell, Willie Jamieson and Dils Hendry.

Hope that helps.

Dunno how old I was at the time, but it was just after WWII when an Inverness Select side played a team of ex-first division team containing the Rangers goalkeeper (who had golden-coloured hair and looked something like a Greek god!) and other players just demobbed who had earlier been among the top players in Scotland.

I stood behind the Greek god's goal at the Howden end.