FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Do you remember your first game of football in Sneckie?

SMEE

The first game I clearly remember attending was a pre season Bells Cup game between Caley and Rangers circa 1976 i think. It was the game after which Billy Urquhart signed for Rangers. I had been to games wi my Pop before then, but have no recollection of them

Just a wee memory of an Inverness select playing Celtic not long after they won the european cup? maybe 68' ? but first 'proper Caley game was to stand in the Howden end to see Alan Presslie score a fantastic header, with Chic Allan & Dave Johnston in that team is was great times, the crowds were also quite large, or it seemed that way to a nipper.

My first game in Sneckie was Inverness Thistle v Elgin City in a rather dull 0-0 HL League Cup tie (c1981). My first Caley home game was on 1st Sept 1990 when they beat Rothes 4-0.

Rothes V Caley around 65/66/67, thats 1965/1967.  From memory Caley thumped Rothes something like 0-7.

Might even have been 1964ish

Definite date for this one though:-

1st Round (11 january 1964):

Forres Mechanics(NL)  3-6  Dundee FC(1)

Dundee had a few international players in there team if I recall correctly.  Ian Ure, Alan Gilzean, Bill Brown, maybe Heilan Dee will know better.

incidentally, heres all the scores on that day

Aberdeen(1)                - Hibernian Edinburgh(1)      5-2

Ayr United(2)              - Inverness Thistle(NL)          3-2

Berwick Rangers(2)    - St.Cuthbert Wanderers(NL)  5-2

Celtic Glasgow(1)          - Eyemouth United(NL)        3-0

Dumbarton(2)                - Raith Rovers Kirkcaldy(2)    4-0

Dundee United(1)            - St.Mirren Paisley(1)          0-0

Forres Mechanics(NL)        - Dundee FC(1)                3-6

Kilmarnock(1)              - Gala Fairydean(NL)              2-1

Montrose(2)                - Alloa Athletic(2)                  1-1

Morton Greenock(2)          - Cowdenbeath(2)            0-0

Stenhousemuir(2)            - Rangers Glasgow(1)        1-5

Stirling Albion(2)          - Brechin City(2)                      1-1

Stranraer(2)                - Third Lanark Glasgow(1)      2-1

Rangers beat Dundee 3-1 in the final that year.

interesting wee site I came across

Scottish cup results

1st Round (11 january 1964):

Forres Mechanics(NL)  3-6  Dundee FC(1)

Dundee had a few international players in there team if I recall correctly.  Ian Ure, Alan Gilzean, Bill Brown, maybe Heilan Dee will know better.

HOW FECKIN OLD DO YOU THINK EH AM MANNIE!!!?? I was too young to have caught they Halcyon days,started going regular circa 1970 but the old timers (lads about your age i guess) sit round the bar telling tales of these leg ends.

Dad says he took me to see the old caley when i was about 3 or 4 but i hav no recollition of this atall.

my 1st game that i remember going to see was ICT v cowdenbeath in april 1996 and the clubs name was still only Caledonian Thistle. 2-0 to us i think was the score. can't believe it's 12 years this april i've following Caley, i'm only 18 too.

Dad says he took me to see the old caley when i was about 3 or 4 but i hav no recollition of this atall.

my 1st game that i remember going to see was ICT v cowdenbeath in april 1996 and the clubs name was still only Caledonian Thistle. 2-0 to us i think was the score. can't believe it's 12 years this april i've following Caley, i'm only 18 too.

That was also my first game! I remember virtually nothing from it though.

The win on penalties over Airdrie in 1990 is the first game i remember (thanks, Caley 100) although i do have vague memories of toddling around Telford Street before that. That cup tie was got me completely hooked on supporting Caley

I'll never forget the fans streaming onto the pitch at the end to hold Hamish Morrison (was that his name?) aloft after his penalty save decided the tie.

The MacRae and **** Caley strip that i received the following Christmas also had a Turnbull Sports logo on it. It was long sleeved and always made me itchy.

The win on penalties over Airdrie in 1990 is the first game i remember .

The MacRae and **** Caley strip that i received the following Christmas also had a Turnbull Sports logo on it. It was long sleeved and always made me itchy.

That Airdrie game is one of THREE Inverness football matches in the last 25 years I greatly regret having missed. The other two were Celtic Park in 2000 and Jags' 3-0 win over Kilmarnock in 1985.

Hey... it wasn't like Turnbull Sports to sell dodgy gear was it?!  :015: :33:

Yes - I remember my first game. Details are a bit vague though.

1964 or 1965 probably - Caley vs. Deveronvale I think, and I suspect the score was 2-0. Caley keeper - somebody Smith as I recall, made a fantastic full-length save.

Remember being particularly impressed by the work rate of Caley's No.7, Harry Smith I believe. Even more impressed when he came round the house a few weeks later to do some plumbing. Or was it electrics? **** I was only 7. Or 8.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only 15... The first game I went to was 3-0 home win vs. Clyde that earned us promotion to First Division. I was only seven and I remember an old Clyde supporter gave me some fruit pastilles...

I'd only lived up here for about a week, so I had no idea what was going on, but I swotted up about ICT over that summer and was a top fan by the new season (99/00)  :021:

I remember going to Telford Street in the early 1950's to a Scottish Cup tie with my dad.

The park was absolutely jam-packed, I vaguely remember Caley losing 5 or 6 - 1 but I am unsure of the team, not an OF team certainly.

A few years later, possibly in the sixties, there was a big cup tie at a snow-covered (lines cleared) Telford Street against Dundee. I remember being disappointed that their star at the time, Ian Ure was injured and was sitting in the stand being overwhelmed by autograph hunters.

However, a lesser mortal, at the time was playing, his name was Alan Gilzean who went on to play for Tottenham and of course Scotland.

Dundee scored very early on, and indeed decided to take the foot off the pedal, and with 10 minutes to go before halftime Caley equalised, I remember right winger Freddy Maclennan either scored or made a big contribution to the goal. The place went berserk as we went in at half time drawing 1-1. The second half was a different story, Dundee won 7-1, so near but yet so far.

deveronvale - howden end - in a feckin pram - lying prostrate - 1958 - feck knows what the score was - ma dad took me out and helped me to pish on the side of the stand - and then stuck a bottle in ma gob to stop me from bawling and causing any offence.

Apart from the pram I followed that routine fer 28 feckin years.  :001: