FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Barry Wilsons Testimonial (merged topics)

Alex MacLeod

I'll miss it as well, since it's In-service day that day in Aberdeen, followed by the schools going back on the Tuesday  :029:

Nae luck Ross, two in service days here in Midlothian, so I'll probably make it. However I think they could have had the decency to have it a week earlier  :023:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Barry has a Testimonial Committee who have all worked extremely hard throughout the testimonial season arranging events, however securing the mighty Liverpool to play in his testimonial game at Inverness was down to one man namely JOHN ROBERTSON.

This shows the type of man and friend Robbo is. My source has revealed that the likelyhood of securing a big name due to the late hour was proving more and more difficult then suddenly out of knowhere Robbo pulls this one out of the bag.

I know he has been mentioned in the press and Barry has mentioned his name in interviews, but I just hope everyone is fully aware of his huge involvement. Once it was up and running and they agreed to come,  the organising was taken on by the Testimonial Committee who I'm sure will do a fantastic job ensuring that this will be a night for not only Barry to remember but also for the fans and people of Inverness.

I know there is a threat talking about the game but I would like this to stand as I feel it shows how Robbo still holds this club and his ex players in high regard.

Good post macgint :clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03:

What a great gesture that is from Robo. I know Barry and Robo were close during his time and the players thoroughly enjoyed working with him and were disapointed he was not re-appointed after Charlies resingnation.

Its was a mastersroke by Robo to sign David Bingham and Barry for us and take us up to the SPLLLL when we were treading water and going nowhere. Its this that most people seem to forget what he achieved for us.

Well done Robo and thanks for taking Liverpool to the Highlands for the 1st time in giving Barry his big night. :021: :021:

What I really want to know is wether Liverpool legend John Barnes will be playing for Liverpool, it would be great to see him again :rotflmao:

Why don't they ask Mark Viduka to do a guest spot. They could sub him for Ian Wright at half time and he could chuck his boots in the crowd.

• 3 weeks later...

Since Barry and the testimonial committee can invite guest players, I was just wondering if we shouldn't invite two ex Liverpool players to attend?

John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish, considering how much we did to advance their respective careers.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hmm not sure if Barnes & Dalglish would attend...We did cost them thei job.

although i do like the idea of some Ex Liverpool players attending....What about Kev Macdonald...old Inverness boy & Liverpool player

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TinCanFan

Very very well. Part of the south stand is to be used for home fans so the rest of the ground must be pretty much sold out.

If this is the case then ICT need to capitalise.  Chances are that a fairly large chunk of these people are not ICT fans and are just going to the game to see a team they've seen on TV and if ICT put up an offer of something like cheaper tickets for the next group of games after the Liverpool fixture, then ICT can capitalise by possibly getting a few new fans.

Alex you are right to some extent, this game is a testimonial and any benefits will go to the testimonial fund.  There is absolutely no reason why they can't use it as a marketing opportunity and take advantage of a large crowd to promote future games.  I know they have tables sold in hospitality to people who don't take hospitality at ICT games on a regular basis, so if they enjoy it they may support hospitality in the future.  So they do have an opportunity to expand the fan base and I don't think that the testimonial committee would have any issues with that.

Guest TinCanFan

Apparently this very Liverpool team are playing Hamilton just before they play ICT.  Just shows the standard of line-up they'll be putting out.

Nothing like looking on the bright side eh TCF?

If it's Hamilton the day before then it'll be a chance to give more of the squad a game.

When ICT played Keith and Inverurie on two consecutive days last summer they simply fielded teams with half regulars and half youngsters. Kept everybody happy. Some of us even got to see a couple of rare Dean McDonald goals  :015: :015: :015:

Guest TinCanFan

and your point is caller?

The Liverpool team will be full of players who you've never heard of and the reaction of some people is completely over the top.  A poster on the "Liverpool Way" site got it absolutely right when they said that the locals were treating the game as if it were Gerrard and Co coming.

When ICT played Keith and Inverurie on two consecutive days last summer they simply fielded teams with half regulars and half youngsters. Kept everybody happy. Some of us even got to see a couple of rare Dean McDonald goals  :015: :015: :015:

Those games were before the SPL season had started so it would be more likely a few better known players would play.

Nothing like looking on the bright side eh TCF?

If it's Hamilton the day before then it'll be a chance to give more of the squad a game.

Ah...but thats the mighty ICT. Do Liverpool have the depth of squad to pull that off :tic01:

Oh dear

It's a celebration of Barry Wilson's time playing for ICT.  We won't be fielding our strongest side either, we don't want to ebarrass them now do we. It's supposed to be a bit of fun, it's not life or death.

So a Liverpool supporter thinks we are taking this seriously......aye right.

What the feck is wrong with everybody.............is it the weather?

Apparently this very Liverpool team are playing Hamilton just before they play ICT.  Just shows the standard of line-up they'll be putting out.

Our game is completely different to the game at Hamilton.  I think you might see one or two faces you might recognise. I don't think anyone expects the full 1st team to turn out but I think there will be a few names you will have heard off.

Anyway - as the mannie says, it's Barry's Testimonial and that's all that matters. 

There are a number of away tickets already sold so it should be a great night

Those games were before the SPL season had started so it would be more likely a few better known players would play.

Aye, fair comment, and Liverpool probably see us the way we see Keith. Also they can send whoever they like now the tickets are all more or less sold.

However I've got a programme from a game at Anfield last month, showing a first team squad of 32, so I'd be expecting to see 3 or 4 players I'd actually heard of.

But as Mannie and L-G say, it's Barry's night anyway.

They could put the Liverpool first 11 out there and I'd be unlikely to tell them from Adam.  I'm more interested in seeing who might turn out for us.....Would have paid double for my tickets to see Calder between the sticks in an ICT shirt for this one.

They could put the Liverpool first 11 out there and I'd be unlikely to tell them from Adam.  I'm more interested in seeing who might turn out for us.....Would have paid double for my tickets to see Calder between the sticks in an ICT shirt for this one.

Very good point CaleyD.  I think there will be a few old faces around on the night.  Definitely means more to me too.

Guest TinCanFan

Very good point CaleyD.  I think there will be a few old faces around on the night.  Definitely means more to me too.

That's probably what I'd pay the money for too.

• 1 month later...
Guest Muir-Jaggie

does any1 no any players liverpool will be sending up??????

cause the season will have started and i cant see them sending up there best players, maybe a few but not the big name 1s

Bobby Mann, David Bingham and Paul Ritchie all turning out for ICT. :rotflmao:

Only 900 tickets left, which is pretty good for a testimonial game and I'm sure it will reach sell out. I'm sure there will be a great atmosphere