FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caley pre season compared to other SPL teams

Council Juice

There have been alot of people on this board ripping into the team over our pre season results and tactics etc but looking slightly further a field and you might think we are not doing all that badly.

Hearts 1-1 with Glentoran!!! and a loss against Dunfermline

Aberdeen 4-0 loss against PETERHEAD!

Hibs trounced in Intertoto cup, albeit against a team slap bang into their season and flying high in their league you'd still expect better. Although I hear it was ?35 a round in Sweden from a hibee at work who was there for part of the game (said it was so awful they all went to the pub and blew about ?200 in one night each!

Celtic who managed to get to the last 16 in the European champions elite were easily beaten by a team in the premiership lucky to escape relegation by the skin of their teeth. 3-1 Fulham and Bobby Zamora scored- how embarrasing!

Rangers struggled against two lower league german teams and were lucky to not be on the end of a hiding from Schalke 04

I havent really noticed any other results but i think considering that they were all top 6 bar hearts who lets face it should and normally would be, shows perhaps our performances thus far havent been all that bad. Maybe i'm clutching at straws but is pre season not about fitness, tactics and gelling players whilst hopefully not picking up injuries? Think it's went ok so far myself...touch wood. :023:

anyone know the result of the game today?

Although I hear it was ?35 a round in Sweden from a hibee at work who was there for part of the game (said it was so awful they all went to the pub and blew about ?200 in one night each!

off-topic I know but drink in Sweden is a **** of a price ... slightly cheaper in their equivalent of an off-license but 8 or 9 quid a pint in bars !!! Denmark is only slightly better at 6 or 7 quid !

There have been alot of people on this board ripping into the team over our pre season results and tactics etc

I don't think that's the case at all and most of the hysteria is being generated by the "Rose Tinted Specs" brigade who jump on every topic with a "before the moaners start" type excuse, which makes it look like we've got more negativity than their actually is.  We had one topic last week (forget which it was off hand) where almost the entire first page was full of "people will be moaning about xyz" and it morphed into complaints about people's negativity which didn't even exist on the thread  :015:

Yes, criticism does exist, but it's made to look far worse by those who are doing all the complaining about it and starting threads with statements such as the one I quoted above really don't help any and only skew the perception further.

I see the Zander Diamond, Scott Severin, Lee Mair and Stuart Duff may miss the opening game of the season as they are all carrying injuries. Diamond could be out for 6 weeks and the others will probably miss all the preseason games, which means our game may come to soon for them to be fully match fit.

Why am I getting deja vu about a Dons v. ICT game being preceded by an Aberdeen FC "injury crisis"

Pre-season gams are pretty meaningless.  I'd be worried if we lost all our games 5-0 or something like that, but usually you get a mixed bag of results.

To put it in context, I went to a pre-season game a few years back where our full strength first team, featuring Robson and Wyness among others, were beaten 2-0 by Lossiemouth  :015:

There have been alot of people on this board ripping into the team over our pre season results and tactics etc

I don't think that's the case at all and most of the hysteria is being generated by the "Rose Tinted Specs" brigade who jump on every topic with a "before the moaners start" type excuse, which makes it look like we've got more negativity than their actually is.  We had one topic last week (forget which it was off hand) where almost the entire first page was full of "people will be moaning about xyz" and it morphed into complaints about people's negativity which didn't even exist on the thread  :015:

Yes, criticism does exist, but it's made to look far worse by those who are doing all the complaining about it and starting threads with statements such as the one I quoted above really don't help any and only skew the perception further.

You've probably got a fair point there. Id say there are as many messages with the "before the moaners start" (never used that exact line myself) as any negativity posts. The rest are either seeking or fairly realistic.

I think we all know our defence is leaky to say the least and our forward line inexperienced (but promising) but we have a very strong midfield and a set of two good goalies. Two sorted and two to go and i think Rooney on loan, someone in the mould of Dods (ie Pressley-big deal if Doncaster said no. He can still cut it!) and a decent older forward and we'll have a strong team and will be able to challenge for the top 6.

Pre season has a bit to run yet so hopefully something will happen there.

Also I come from a land where the Daily Record is prevelant. Full of Gers and Tics acting like their team is Barcalona and should be signing the best in the world. Then you get the Hearts and Hibees who are both positive they'll be fighting relegation along with the likes of skint killie, St Mirren, Accies and ourselves (maybe).

I see negativity everywhere!!!! so it can be hard to distinguish