FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Current Affairs

RichieKass

There's a lot of bad stuff happening at in the world (northing new there I guess). I'm just interested to hear people's thoughts on fighting that's broken out between Russia and Georgia - is there potential for this to get very serious?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7550354.stm

I had heard rumors from some mates who stay locally about Kenny Richey assaulting a boy up at Polwarth, and today I see he's been arrested. I managed to find an article written just after the assault http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/scottish-...78057-20654983/

and today on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinbu...ast/7549870.stm

Sounds to me like he's guilty as sin this time, don't want that to be any reflection on his murder charge, after spending 20 years behind bars you're probably not going to be the most understanding of people when someone owes you money but it's no excuse...

Also into today's news the olympics have started *yawn* as much as it's exciting far too much money get spent on these things in my opinion. ?100 Million allegedly spent on opening and closing ceremonies, what a joke.

Having heard this afternoon about the clashes in Georgia, it was incredible to see BBC 6 o'clock news : the headline, and entire first half of the show was all about the opening ceremony. More important than the unexpected outbreak of a conflict with thousands reportedly killed?

To understand the seemingly bizarre editorial decision, you have to understand that the BBC have invested massive amounts of their (our) money in the Olympics, and have reportedly sent far more staff to Beijing than GB has sent competitors. They have to therefore make it out to be THE story of the summer, and refer to it at every opportunity to make the investment worthwhile.

Can't help thinking that the news editor on duty today today was instructed to make it the lead story regardless of what else happened in thw world.

Aye, even Newsnight which is supposedly the BBC's flagship current affairs programme led with the Olympic boreathon which is really shocking. Just because the BBC is spending a small fortune sending its expense account junkie reporters and commentators to cover the Olympics they seem to think it's OK to ram it down our throats at every opportunity.

Perhaps the BBC should have been spending a little of the licence fee on sending reporters and film crews out to South Ossetia and Georgia to cover the simmering conflict before it broke out into a real one and informing viewers which, after all is one of its functions. Well, allegedly is these days.