FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT -V- Dundee Utd : matchday thread

Scotty

TACTICAL NIGHTMARE.

Forwards: Barrowman up front on his own was never going to work, he did'nt win a single ball and got nothing anywhere near the target. Hopefully we won't see him start for while after todays performance. Rooney and Woody where far more effective.

Midfield: Usually our strong point but today it never got going. Why was Imrie playing if he had a bad back???. Russell Duncan just can't pass. Black , Cowie and Vigurs just never got it together. Giving Zanders 10 minutes was fruitless, I think he touched the ball once.

Defence: Duffers is no right back, Barry Wilson would have been a better choice. Proc and Munro struggled to contain Daly, Conway and Robertson who all duly scored. I've said it before we need someone with experience in central defence, come January this has to be the priority.

Esson; did'nt stand a chance the way the defence played, prefer Fraser as no 1.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before we need someone with experience in central defence, come January this has to be the priority.

iam afraid to say,i highly doubt we,ll sign anyone come jan

this season no way esson,s been miles better thna fraser

"The key thing is that when we play one up at home, you really have to score first. If you play with two up front, you are more open to attacks against us."

Am I the only one that doesn't understand this paragraph?

"The key thing is that when we play one up at home, you really have to score first. If you play with two up front, you are more open to attacks against us."

I didnt understand it but i thought it may just be me but looks like i aint the only one

I've said it before we need someone with experience in central defence, come January this has to be the priority.

iam afraid to say,i highly doubt we,ll sign anyone come jan

this season no way esson,s been miles better thna fraser

Esson is way better than Fraser by far!

Esson has confidance and is willing to get out there.

I know everyone has opinions as to who should be playing up front and who shouldn't and I know I've voiced my opinions on the subject as much as the next person.....however, the truth of the matter is, if your playing a lone striker and they aren't getting any service or support then they could be the worlds best and it wouldn't make any difference.

Guest ict1994

today was once again another very poor performance at home with barrowman looking extremley of th pace or midfield was a shambles and just never really clicked also proctor should have been at right back and duff in the centre with brewster once again showin his incapabilities as a manager. also when maguire and tokely are back there should be no place in the team for Proctor as he has once again proved he is unable to play to the standards required in the SPL.

Apart from the first 5 minutes we were very poor. Can we defend crosses? United could have scored 5 with some of the crosses going across our goal that just missed.

Worst thing was I fully expected us to be beaten today. Can anyone honestly say otherwise?

I know everyone has opinions as to who should be playing up front and who shouldn't and I know I've voiced my opinions on the subject as much as the next person.....however, the truth of the matter is, if your playing a lone striker and they aren't getting any service or support then they could be the worlds best and it wouldn't make any difference.

Niculae, who most would agree was a cut above, couldn't do it all on his own. He was also guilty of missing sitters, but then he was touted as the great white hope and had a national call-up in his sights so was clearly trying too hard at times. For me the damning fact is still that a striker like Brew - **** his badges, tactics, subs, and the rest - that the guy as a *coach* cannot instruct or inspire the strikers he's brought in, to score goals. He can't even, after four months, get Barrowman to time his jumps so that he connects with the bloody ball.

This idiot, with his able assistant, is going to take the club I love back to the SFL, next season if not this. He has made it feel like a chore rather than a pleasure to take my seat every other Saturday. He practically ran to the club whose team soundly beat ours this afternoon, and Eddie Thompson saw that he was sh!te, and did what was best for the club he loved by getting rid of that same man. Why on earth should we suffer the indignity of being laid low by the same guy, while he blames everyone but himself - including the fans who will be exhilarated or depressed with their side's fortunes years after he's gone - and remains in denial?

And we're in contract negotiations with the man, to extend his stay? There are people running this club who know fine how to run a business. Are they trying to run this one into the ground?

I really have had enough.

Niculae, who most would agree was a cut above, couldn't do it all on his own. He was also guilty of missing sitters, but then he was touted as the great white hope and had a national call-up in his sights so was clearly trying too hard at times. For me the damning fact is still that a striker like Brew - **** his badges, tactics, subs, and the rest - that the guy as a *coach* cannot instruct or inspire the strikers he's brought in, to score goals. He can't even, after four months, get Barrowman to time his jumps so that he connects with the bloody ball.

I dont think its any coincidence that Marius's best spell at the club was when playing in the same team as Rankin, I still think letting Rankin go was a big mistake and we havent got anyone that can give the quality of service to strikers that he did, Barry aside

I didnt understand it but i thought it may just be me but looks like i aint the only one

It means that if you are only playing with one up, you're under a lot of pressure to score first but less likely to do so. If you lose a goal, you're f*cked. That's why we don't play one up at home! GOT IT!! :rotflmao:

...here, hang on... :thumb04:

He can't even, after four months, get Barrowman to time his jumps so that he connects with the bloody ball.

Did Andy win nothing in the air again today then?

I'm not opposed to playing 4-5-1 at home, but if you're going to do it then the striker must be able to win balls in the air and put himself about a bit. Andy ain't that.

I dont think its any coincidence that Marius's best spell at the club was when playing in the same team as Rankin, I still think letting Rankin go was a big mistake and we havent got anyone that can give the quality of service to strikers that he did, Barry aside

rankin wanted to go to hibs, i dont think we would of hung onto him if we wanted too. rankin is a good player but not better than what we have in black, cowie and vigurs, all possibly better players.

Or a very attack minded wide midfield - almost 4-3-3 - for plenty of opportunities to get in behind the defence.

rankin wanted to go to hibs, i dont think we would of hung onto him if we wanted too. rankin is a good player but not better than what we have in black, cowie and vigurs, all possibly better players.

That's a selective memory. Rankin was told he had no future at ICT just as he was preparing to settle down. On the left wing, he's far better than either Black or Vigurs. I'd say Cowie too on delivery. He also worked really well in that 4-1-3-2/4-2-3-1 role with both Black and Cowie in the same team. He's deeply missed.

I think we know there was more to Rankin going than him just wanting to go to Hibs, I

I think we know there was more to Rankin going than him just wanting to go to Hibs, I am also not saying he is better than any of those 3 but I think his delivery was better than those 3

Dundee United - Very big, very physical and not too bad at football either.

ICT - Despite the thumping there were some good performances - especially Blackie but also Hastings and Duncan.

High balls into the box for 8 foot giants to gobble up doesn't really work. But to tell the plain truth - ICT ARE SHOT SHY!!! Our guys seem to want to walk the ball over the line. We have a tremendous record of scoring goals from distance - and our boys need to be bid enough and brave enough to start taking a pot from outside the box at the first opportunity.

4-5-1 at home might be jutified if we were grinding out 1-0 wins but we are approaching the half way point in the season and our only home league victory was against a poor killie side who seemed to stop playing after about 20 minutes.

The vast majority of fans can see what the position is, it appears that our manager is one of the few who cannot.

ICT - Despite the thumping there were some good performances - especially Blackie but also Hastings and Duncan.

Hastings is debatable. Some good supporting runs down the left but for me Duncan was average at best. Sorry!

Hastings is debatable. Some good supporting runs down the left but for me Duncan was average at best. Sorry!

Agreed. Duncan can position hissel for a good tackle or interception and can be free for a pass, but cant himself pass water. A fatal flaw.

Just read Brewster's comments on Teletext, apparently the supporters are partly to blame for the defeat yesterday

The Terrors won 3-1 and Brewster feels home fans at the Caledonian Stadium let their anguish feed though to the team.

He said: "If we had scored the crowd would have got a lift. Instead United scored. Sometimes the disappointment from the crowd filters through to the players and they get a bit nervy."

Just read Brewster's comments on Teletext, apparently the supporters are partly to blame for the defeat yesterday

The Terrors won 3-1 and Brewster feels home fans at the Caledonian Stadium let their anguish feed though to the team.

He said: "If we had scored the crowd would have got a lift. Instead United scored. Sometimes the disappointment from the crowd filters through to the players and they get a bit nervy."

If just once he would say I got the tactics wrong maybe people would think ok he has made a mistake and he would learn from it, the worrying thing for me is I dont honesty think he does think he is getting it wrong, its down to refs, poor finishing by his players or pressure from the crowd getting to the players,

mind you I wouldnt be thinking i was doing much wrong if my bosses were offering me a new contract either.

Guest ict1994

well im goin to put two positives on this game :

1. Things can only get beter (i hope lol)

2. brewster could just be 1 step nearer to the exit door

but other than that totally awful

Sheesh! That's about the worst thing I've ever heard a manager to say to his fans. If that had been a player he was talking about, then it would be transfer demand time. Total and utter contempt. I know terracing barracking can be demoralising for the players but, to my mind, there's no way back for Brewster. There has to be a crowd campaign now. Otherwise, who's going to bother coming back to see a team like this next year? (yeah, I know you will but not many others)

Not the kind of thing a manager should be saying about the fans. This is supposed to be a team of professional footballers who should play to their very best with single-mindedness and think about nothing but winning.