FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Barry Wilson (Merged)

Reliably_Informed

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. A job must be found for him?

This is nonsense. The club has and will have many ledgends. Fans can't dicdate that positions must be created for them when they come to the end of the line. Total and utter tosh!

If, as suggested, the club cannot offer him a coaching role because we dont have space, then how about utilising Barry in another way (in much the same way as we did with our first legend - Mr Christie !!!)

For YEARS, the club's PR and Fan Liaison has been, in a word, DIABOLICAL (not the first word that sprang to mind, but at least one that could get past the swear filter).

Why not employ Barry in this type of role and let him do some coaching on the side with a view to bringing him in there more permanently as and when time allows. I can hear the arguments now ... Barry isnt a journalist, we already have someone handling press releases etc etc etc. Both are true, but is it being done satisfactorily? I would respectfully suggest it is not.

You do not need to be a journalist to handle PR. It can certainly help, but I am no journalist and have been punting stories on this website for 15 years without any formal training. You might argue with some of my posts in the message boards, but I dont think people have had too much issue with the main site articles written by myself or others. We have received numerous plaudits over the years for formulating the site news in a truthful and articulate manner.

Fan liaison has been overlooked for donkeys years. I first suggested the club needed a role like this when Mike Teasdale was unceremoniously dumped as he would have been perfect for it given his status and rapport with the fans. I feel we are about to make the same mistake again as we unceremoniously dump the person who is in my mind one of three true club legends (along with Charlie and Jimbo Calder). Barry is respected by fans and players alike and if the club utilise his influence then he could make serious inroads into the gulf that currently exists between boardroom, dressing room, and the normal punters in the stands.

We have Boardroom Banter which is designed to help narrow that gulf and answer questions, and there are a few people working hard in the background to make that a success, but in all seriousness, although it will do some good, events can and will overtake it on a regular basis .... A club figurehead who is trusted and respected, and allowed to speak honestly about things could help lessen the impact of some of this.

I urge the board to seriously look at the issues raised in the past week as for the first time in my ICT supporting life, I can see a catastrophic result should these issues be brushed aside.

While I wouldnt disagree with any of that Scotty, perhaps Barry doesnt fancy totally hanging his boots up quite yet as according to reports he still feels he has still got something to offer on the pitch.

This weeks Highland news suggest that Barry isn't ready to hang up his boots. He says that even if a couple of SPL teams came in for him it might not be his preferred option.

Strange that he should say "a couple of SPL teams" - kinda suggests that maybe some have shown interest already? And could it be, as I suggested elsewhere, that he couldn't face playing against us as he down plays it as not being his preferred option?

Barry also gives thanks to the fans for their support and the relationship he's shared with them over the years and there's also a quote which says leaving to go to Livi was a hard decision, but coming back was an easy one....that in itself speaks volumes about his passion for ICT, IMO.

While I wouldnt disagree with any of that Scotty, perhaps Barry doesnt fancy totally hanging his boots up quite yet as according to reports he still feels he has still got something to offer on the pitch.

considering the club currently seem to spend zero time doing their PR, I am sure it could be worked into his schedule :rotflmao: .

However, the point I am really trying to make, like so many others is that we as a fanbase have a great deal of loyalty towards Barry, a great deal of respect for him, and ultimately believe he still has something to offer on the pitch as well as off it. Rather than unceremoniously cutting him loose in January, I am sure that the club - if they truly wanted to - could find a role for him in the same way as they did for Charlie all those years ago when he "technically" became our first ever full-time player by combining his centenary club duties with his part-time player role.

Didnt mean to imply that his only option was retiring !!!

there's also a quote which says leaving to go to Livi was a hard decision, but coming back was an easy one....that in itself speaks volumes about his passion for ICT, IMO.

I remember the end of season party in the Muirtown that year .... Barry was extremely torn in making that decision .... seem to remember that Gringo Jnr discussed it with him in the bogs LOL !!!

considering the club currently seem to spend zero time doing their PR, I am sure it could be worked into his schedule :rotflmao: .

However, the point I am really trying to make, like so many others is that we as a fanbase have a great deal of loyalty towards Barry, a great deal of respect for him, and ultimately believe he still has something to offer on the pitch as well as off it. Rather than unceremoniously cutting him loose in January, I am sure that the club - if they truly wanted to - could find a role for him in the same way as they did for Charlie all those years ago when he "technically" became our first ever full-time player by combining his centenary club duties with his part-time player role.

Didnt mean to imply that his only option was retiring !!!

yes Scotty and like I said in previous post I dont disagree with any of that, think the bottom line is Brew or those above him dont seem to think he has anything to offer the club, a great mistake in my mind but that is just one in a line of things that I feel are great mistakes at present

QUOTE (CaleyD @ Dec 10 2008, 01:53 PM)

there's also a quote which says leaving to go to Livi was a hard decision, but coming back was an easy one....that in itself speaks volumes about his passion for ICT, IMO.

I remember the end of season party in the Muirtown that year .... Barry was extremely torn in making that decision .... seem to remember that Gringo Jnr discussed it with him in the bogs LOL !!!

Ha Ha Ha... not too sure it was the bog, but I do remember chatting away to Barry and Pele at the bar, and although pele originally said no to a trail when i asked him straight out, barry said 'he may be a bit on the chubby side, but give the lad a chance' (or words to that effect) - Low and behold, pele told me to bring my boots up when on holiday that year and I believe Gringo_Snr has the camcorder footage of a blinding goal i scored past Jim Calder after a lay off from CC...

Ha Ha Ha... not too sure it was the bog, but I do remember chatting away to Barry and Pele at the bar, and although pele originally said no to a trail when i asked him straight out, barry said 'he may be a bit on the chubby side, but give the lad a chance' (or words to that effect) - Low and behold, pele told me to bring my boots up when on holiday that year and I believe Gringo_Snr has the camcorder footage of a blinding goal i scored past Jim Calder after a lay off from CC...

Gringo but alas no contract but the great memory of been set up by one legend while slotting it past another legend

Another conspiricy theory for you but perhaps we need to be shifting players from the wage bill just now to offset things like falling attendances.

Perhaps Brew has no say in Barry's departure and just like every business just now, times are hard & costs need to be cut.

If this is the case then who's next to go?

Another conspiricy theory for you but perhaps we need to be shifting players from the wage bill just now to offset things like falling attendances. Perhaps Brew has no say in Barry's departure and just like every business just now, times are hard & costs need to be cut. If this is the case then who's next to go?

If that was the case .... then why not just come out and say so !!! It might not be good news, but an explanation of things in language that people can relate to every now and then can stop a lot of rumour and conspiracy theories dead in their tracks.

Gringo but alas no contract but the great memory of been set up by one legend while slotting it past another legend

Pele and Shearer didnt go to see me play... I belive pele had to attend to some serious family business whilst shearer stayed and did 'paperwork'. CC took the session but was focused more on the first team then my trial (which is fair enough)...

I distictly remember Davide Xausa playing the ball square to me whislt shouting 'go on rob, be the hero'. I slotted neatly under calder. I obviously returned the favour later on but he blazed over. I also got thrown to the ground by rosscoe that day too - I slide takled, he regained posetion, and as i went to challenge again he floored me. lol - had a brilliant day though (the memories are flooding back)

To be honest, ide rather see him play out the rest of the season and finish at that, but everyone - regardless wether Bazza can play or not - would go against ANYTHING in what Brewster says, it's just what everyones nature is now a days, and it's rather poor. People need to learn to let go, obviously he's a club legend.. but that doesn't mean he has to be tied playing for us untill he gives up.

Barry is contracted until 19 january. Are you saying after his service and worth to the club, we could not have the decency to give him another 4 months. Apart from anything else his experience could have proved invaluable in our fight against relegation.

Perhaps Barry is being viewed as a threat?

i think you hit he nail on the head there,thats certainly why he didnt get a coaching position

Sorry but thats CERTAINLY incorrect

Go on Ralph....back that up with something resembling a solid fact or source.

You know you want to.

i think you hit he nail on the head there,thats certainly why he didnt get a coaching position

AND why did he get rid of Parky???? Think it was exactly the same reason... :rotflmao:

AND why did he get rid of Parky???? Think it was exactly the same reason... :rotflmao:

Brewnoclue you are wasting your time mate

You know you want to.

Cd, No I won't all I'm telling Blackieforce that he/she is wrong with the assumption. I don't need to or have to reveal anything even if I knew but I'm telling you for a FACT, Barry and Park were not seen as a threat

You know you want to.

Cd, No I won't all I'm telling Blackieforce that he/she is wrong with the assumption. I don't need to or have to reveal anything even if I knew but I'm telling you for a FACT, Barry and Park were not seen as a threat

Ralph....2 words....horses and mouth!!!

There is one fact in this issue Barry who is a legend at the club has been told there is no future for him, whatever way you want to paint it is a very poor show in my opinion and those that have done little for the club are sitting very cosy

Edited by stevico1

Serious question Ralph......are you actually an ICT fan?

Sorry doing other things tonight not just this hence the delay. Yes I am a fan and yes I can back it up and before anyone goes and says go on then, sorry at the moment, no way.

As I've said many times on various themes, debates etc IF you look at the bigger picture then all the answers are there, you don't have to be Einstein to work out why Barry is not a coach at the club.

There is no doubt that people will be upset about him leaving it's completely understandable but he's not the first loyal servant to a football club to be allowed to leave and he'll CERTAINLY not be the last