FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Barry Wilson (Merged)

Reliably_Informed

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think this is a big mistake.

Barry still has the ability to turn a game and I think until such time as we find the 'young' Barry Wilson, we should be hanging on to Barry.

I also know that Barry is a popular figure in the dressing room and has the respect of the players. I think this may be a role which is equal to, if not even more important than his contribution on the park. I really hope that ICT can find him a coaching role somewhere as he has too much experience to just give away to the benefit of another team.

Robbo and Barry would make an ideal management team IMHO. They both have similar views on how the game should be played and I think we would once again see some entertaining football played at home.

Brew has just about lost all of any remaining credibility he had. This is by far the worst decision of his career as an ex-manager and time to step down please.

:o

I am surprised that Wilson isn't being kept on in some kind of coaching capacity to be honest.

Brew has just about lost all of any remaining credibility he had. This is by far the worst decision of his career as an ex-manager and time to step down please.

I am surprised that Wilson isn't being kept on in some kind of coaching capacity to be honest.

During the interview I heard on Radio Scotland Barry mentioned asking Brewster about a coaching position. That was a year ago and he's still waiting for a reply!!

There is an article in the P&J today about the quest to find a 'new' Barry Wilson

P&J LINK

Make of it what you will. I'm still puzzled by the logic of it

Brewster could again select Jamie Duff at right back at Love Street despite the 19-year-old being unfamiliar with the position.

He said: ?It was Jamie?s first game against Dundee United in a new position, he had to deal with Craig Conway and it was a good experience for him.

?Conway is difficult to handle, a bit like Aiden McGeady.

?I would not have any second thoughts about putting Jamie in at right back on Saturday.?

:rotflmao: ARGHHH!!!!!

Playing Duff at right back and Proctor at centre back will not work!!!!

F*ckin' fire Brewster NOW!!!!!

There is an article in the P&J today about the quest to find a 'new' Barry Wilson

P&J LINK

It still makes no sense even after a good nights sleep .... I CAN actually understand part of the logic of the mangler ... Barry isnt getting any younger and we need a replacement before he retires. However, the part that defies logic is that he goes on to quote the names of 4 people already on the wage bill so what is the problem with keeping Barry's experience until at least the end of the season. I have an uneasy feeling that we will suffer from the loss of his experience in our forthcoming relegation dogfight.

And as for Duff at RB again ..... I think it just proves that Brewster's eyeballs must be facing inwards :rotflmao:

During the interview I heard on Radio Scotland Barry mentioned asking Brewster about a coaching position. That was a year ago and he's still waiting for a reply!!

P&J LINK

He CANNOT give him a coaching position if there is not one AVAILABLE :rotflmao:

Yup. Barry is no longer fit enough for the SPL, and wages need freed up.

But surely a role could have been found within the club for such a faithful servant.

Yup. Barry is no longer fit enough for the SPL, and wages need freed up.

But surely a role could have been found within the club for such a faithful servant.

Disagree with barry being unfit for the spl - he can contibute to any game whenever given the opertunity, although he may not be a 90 minute player any more.

As someone has said previosuly - barry brings respect, heart and experiance to the dressing room, and that can be an absolute godsend when bringing youth into the first team set-up.

First thing first, all the best to you Barry, you were a great servant to the club in both your spells at the club and I wish you every success in the future whatever you do.

Feel I need to have my twopenneth worth on other matters though.....

1. A job must be found for him?

This is nonsense. The club has and will have many ledgends. Fans can't dicdate that positions must be created for them when they come to the end of the line. Total and utter tosh!

2. Going to another SPL club?

Not a chance! Ask the punters at McDiarmid Park about Barry's contribution on loan last season and you will get a clear response that he will struggle to get a decent frst division team. If I'm wrong, I'll apologise. Hope the same goes for all the nutters that claim he's going to end up in the SPL but somehow I doubt it!

3. As wrong as letting Dennis go?

Dennis has been a rip roaring success with St Mirren hasn't he! One goal to his name, more time on the bench than Judge Judy for the team at the bottom of the league. Bad decision my ar*e!

Spend less and less time on this board as every time I log on I seem to think I'm on an OF Board. Divine right to success....top six demanded....win cups.....failure....sack him...get rid of him....he's a this....he's a that...it goes on and on!

Me and my kids are enjoying another season of top flight football in the Highlands. They know nothing different, I remember otherwise. Would I swap it for the top of the Second Division or way out in the Highland League? Not a chance.

Love Street on Saturday for a win and a bigger gap from the bottom team. Success for me is simple.....keep top flight football. Nothing else matters.

Edited by Sorted

Wyness scored at the weekend and your kids might just get to experience football in the lower divisions if things keep going as they are.

Glad your happy though.

Fair point CD, forgot Dennis scored at weekend.

Sure that many of our fans would be delighted if our CF had scored one goal by the middle of December. Mind you, it's different rules for some than others though isn't it?

Happy. Absolutely!

Kids can see top players they never had a chance to without spending hundreds of pounds going South. And they learn to support the local team at the same time. Maybe your kids are different but mine just want to see big names they've seen on the telly and guys they've heard off. Not really that interested in the quality of the football (good job at times!).

So yeah, I'm happy!

Another three points off the bottom on Saturday, I'll be even happier!

Our strikers aren't exactly doing much better than Wyness though.

I don't have any kids of my own, but plenty nieces and nephews and to be honest, whenever I've taken any of them to games they've been effected more by the end result than any knowledge they may or may not have of the players on the park. In fact, they've come away from reserve games over the moon because ICT won and the concept that it wasn't first team players out there on the pitch (for either team) didn't seem to register at all.

Took my Nephew to Wilson's Testimonial and I never seen a kid so happy. Not a recognisable name in the Liverpool Team (as far as he was concerned) and a good few "strangers" (again as far as he was concerned) in the ICT team.

I think your fooling yourself if you think kids are more interested in the names than in the results.

I think your fooling yourself if you think kids are more interested in the names than in the results.

I was going to say something similar. Great that they enjoy seeing some of the big names (I assume you mean the big players of the OF because I can't imagine many youngsters getting excited about Jim Hamilton coming to Inverness :rotflmao:) but surely they want to see an ICT win now and again? If not and they keep coming along great but sometimes I wonder just how many times they will keep coming along loss after loss.

As for Barry I'd imagine he will be strongly linked to Ross County now though some Dingwall fans say he wouldn't likely get on with Adams.

1. A job must be found for him?

This is nonsense. The club has and will have many ledgends. Fans can't dicdate that positions must be created for them when they come to the end of the line. Total and utter tosh!

If, as suggested, the club cannot offer him a coaching role because we dont have space, then how about utilising Barry in another way (in much the same way as we did with our first legend - Mr Christie !!!)

For YEARS, the club's PR and Fan Liaison has been, in a word, DIABOLICAL (not the first word that sprang to mind, but at least one that could get past the swear filter).

Why not employ Barry in this type of role and let him do some coaching on the side with a view to bringing him in there more permanently as and when time allows. I can hear the arguments now ... Barry isnt a journalist, we already have someone handling press releases etc etc etc. Both are true, but is it being done satisfactorily? I would respectfully suggest it is not.

You do not need to be a journalist to handle PR. It can certainly help, but I am no journalist and have been punting stories on this website for 15 years without any formal training. You might argue with some of my posts in the message boards, but I dont think people have had too much issue with the main site articles written by myself or others. We have received numerous plaudits over the years for formulating the site news in a truthful and articulate manner.

Fan liaison has been overlooked for donkeys years. I first suggested the club needed a role like this when Mike Teasdale was unceremoniously dumped as he would have been perfect for it given his status and rapport with the fans. I feel we are about to make the same mistake again as we unceremoniously dump the person who is in my mind one of three true club legends (along with Charlie and Jimbo Calder). Barry is respected by fans and players alike and if the club utilise his influence then he could make serious inroads into the gulf that currently exists between boardroom, dressing room, and the normal punters in the stands.

We have Boardroom Banter which is designed to help narrow that gulf and answer questions, and there are a few people working hard in the background to make that a success, but in all seriousness, although it will do some good, events can and will overtake it on a regular basis .... A club figurehead who is trusted and respected, and allowed to speak honestly about things could help lessen the impact of some of this.

I urge the board to seriously look at the issues raised in the past week as for the first time in my ICT supporting life, I can see a catastrophic result should these issues be brushed aside.

I'ts a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Because this side of things has been neglected for so long and because of the dire fare on offer home crowds are tumbling so there may in fact be no spare income to find a salary for Barry, or indeed anyone else to occupy such a position benificial as it maybe.

I'ts a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Because this side of things has been neglected for so long and because of the dire fare on offer home crowds are tumbling so there may in fact be no spare income to find a salary for Barry, or indeed anyone else to occupy such a position benificial as it maybe.

I tend to agree with you Kingsmills but as we continue in what could very well be a downward spiral, the spark that reverses our fortunes may be someone who can get everyone pulling together in a single direction. I cant speak from a board, management or player perspective but from a fan viewpoint, I can certainly say that I would give a lot more credence to a request or plea for unity coming out of the mouth of a respected long-time front-line servant of the club than our current "gaffer".

You say we might not be able to afford a salary (and as I said, I tend to agree), but lets turn it on its head for a moment and even take Barry out of the equation if you like ... The question I would pose is can we afford NOT to do it considering all the negatives mentioned recently could quite conceivably lead to relegation and relegation could mean financial oblivion.

I agree it's a dilemma. I suppose there's an argument that if Barry's salary as a player is being saved then that could be utilised to pay him in that role. On the other hand we're in desparate need of an experienced striker and they don't come cheap !

It's a great pity that Mr Sutherland and Mr Savage couldn't have found a way of working together for the greater good of the club.

Edited by Kingsmills

I also understand where you are coming from but I feel that having barry as a coach would help us as a team thus helping the progress of the team, yet again whether even he could bring anything in the current set up is another issue