FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Aberdeen Turnstyles

RiG

Do electronic turnstyles require no steward to let you in? Is that the only benefit?

So how on earth does that work? What happens at all-ticket games? Do you get a barcode or something?

I don't see any huge benefits... though I must admit it is quite impressive to be on the receiving end of virtually free benefits from Microsoft... not many who can say that. Maybe Bill Gates fancies his hand at "doing a Vlad" and this is only the first step in his world domination plan?

I'm sure they have something like that at the Amsterdam Arena, you put your ticket in the slot and it reads a barcode or something. Quite a good idea, but we need a few more turnstiles first!

Actually when I think about it when I visited the new baseball stadium in Philadelphia in 2004 they had a system like this. It worked well but they needed staff on hand to show novices how to use it - a bit like the self service check-outs at Tescos.

552-44.jpg

The article is littered with comments from AFC such as

"It will save us money"

"it will be self funding"

"it isn't costing us a penny"

"minimum cost"

"cost effective"

These Aberdonians never change.

Did Rangers not try some sort of Smart Card that failed to work?

they did and they still do with good success. they can still sell tickets for games but the smart card can be activated for their cup games too depending on what they have signed up for.

celtic are thinking about it too...

Only problem I can see is that an electronic turnstyle makes it easier for a casual or banned hooligan to gain entry to the ground, since they will have to pass fewer people.

Not against it in principle, since it could be a lot quicker to gain access to the ground. Next idea will probably be turnstyles which accept "smart cards" or credit cards as payment so that you just swipe you card and it deducts the money from the card and lets you in.

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine the system to work much like electronic barriers at tube stations. You will buy a ticket that has a magnetic strip on it. This will then be inserted into a slot to release the barrier. The technology has been around for years. Its also used for prepay electricity and gas meters. It will do away with employing people at turnstiles but you will need to purchase a ticket. That could be done, either by the traditional ticket office or by vending machines that take cash or credit card. Like the machines in some carparks.

In response to Sams point about banned persons. Everyone of us who enter a stadium is filmed and checked by the match command centre as it is. Hence all the cctv at stadia.

At Man City you get a plastic card (credit card size - like you get at some car parks/ski-lifts) instead of a paper one and you just scan it like a ski-pass and you get access at the turn-stile. I am not sure if it is used for all games though. Seen the same thing at the Salzburg stadium in Austria but there you put the card into a slot to get automatic entry.

Can't see it catching on at TCS though :D