FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dodged The Bullet, For Now...

Canada Bob

Just got the results of the blood tests taken 3 months after the operation I had last December...

The Dr told me "there's no detectable sign of cancer", what a relief that was to be told that, it was like getting the winning goal in the 93rd minute, it's hard to take it in, it really does blow your mind, sort of numbs you, everything seems surreal for hours after. It don't mean that I'm cancer free, but if there's any still hanging around it's in microscopic amounts, so I should be OK for a couple of years even if they are able to regroup.

One thing this battle with cancer has learned me is that if you do your homework {Google searches} for the latest treatments and medications you give yourself a fighting chance.

The beggar of it is, you can find out more from Google than from most GP's, and you'll certainly know more about the foe than you'll find out from speaking to Dr's who are stretched for the time they can give you.

Rather than go down the same route that my GP {automatically} send most of his patients down, passed on like a baton from one Dr to the other being given a very limited choice of treatment options, most folks have no idea if it's the best option for them, often finding that what they are getting is simply what's offered locally.

When your life is on the line as mine was {due to the aggressive type of cancer that I had, when I was first diagnosed I was originally given 6 months to live}, you don't want to be faced with "Hobsons Choice", or "any prize off the bottom shelf", you need to be in the know, and if you're up to it, you bet your life on a treatment plan that you feel is the best option for you.

Aided by Google I chose my own path through this minefield, I listened to all the Dr's but I made my own mind up on what they said, if I was to lose my life I'd prefer it to be because I got it wrong, I just couldn't take it if I'd listened to some of them and then found that they'd put me on the wrong horse, Dr's bury their mistakes.

I've seen a lot in the last 5 years, men like me diagnosed with Prostate cancer put through some cruel treatments, some of them finishing up with dual incontinence due to their intestines being burned by radiotherapy, or put through surgery that looked like a Butcher had done it, given Chemo that was way outdated, put on hormones that did more harm than good, or offered medications that were prescribed because they were the cheapest rather than the best.

I've seen a lot of blokes die due to prostate cancer, many of them not even knowing they had cancer until they were too far gone. I found out that I had it was from a random blood test, and by that time they reckon I'd had it for 4 years, so... If you're 50 {or yer Dad is 50} get the PSA test done, it's just a simple blood test that could save your life.

It's a tough battle when cancer comes after you, yet the odds of survival are improving year on year, even though the UK still fairs badly in the cancer survival league. If you're savvy you can improve your odds, if you're well connected you're in even better shape, if you can get yourself the best treatment plan rather than the one they dole out locally then your at least half way there.

The bottom line is, "know your enemy" learn what you're up against, field your best team against it, and be wary of the life threatening idiots who wander the planet telling folks "you you can cure cancer by drinking green tea, or {believe it or not} drinking your own urine", I've seen men lose their lives by listening to gobshytes like that.

If ever any of you face this foe, and you want any info, you know where to find me...

Each and every hour a man dies from Prostate Cancer, make sure you aren't one of them...

Edited by Canada Bob

Men find it harder to go and see the Doctor.... Well done and i hope you keep well Bob.

My dad is one of the unlucky ones refused to go to the doctor thinking he had a cold with a bad cough and yes it's lung cancer. Chemo will now only buy him time so we have a lot a to deal with if only he had swallowed pride and gone to see a doctor.

Bob, I take on board your positive thinking and action but to others out there, be aware that Prostate Cancer IS curable!

As stated, early diagnosis is the key.

Breast Cancer and Prostrate Cancer are now so successfully treated that they are now not viewed as a Critical Illness, on their own, for Insurance claim purposes.

Lets hope medical advances continue to fight the fight!

Glad to hear the good news Bob. best of luck keeping it at bay.

Have to agree with you on the tests ... I have a yearly physical with my doc and get poked and prodded from every angle during this encounter. blood tests, urine tests and all the rest keep you as protected as you can be. Just had it a few weeks ago and everything is 'normal'.

A new discussion with the doc this year, and one that is being heavily advertised in Ontario right now is the self-test for colo-rectal cancer - a simple test with a kit where you take a small stool sample on each of three consecutive days and then send it into the lab for testing - it doesnt replace the colonoscopy that is recommended when you reach a certain age but for men in their forties its a somewhat less invasive way to get yourself tested.

Good news indeedy Bob,hopefully you'll be around for a long time posting yer (usually) sound and interesting opinions,I fair enjoy yer rants and look forward to backing your push for prime ministership :rotflmao:

Yep... Ditto to that!!

:thumb04:

THANKS for yer comments, very much appreciated, it's a tough spot to be in going round after round with cancer.

Like a Boxer who's been floored it makes a difference to know that your mates and lads you've got to know are cheering you on. Although I've never met the most of you I've enjoyed the craic that we've had in here over the years, that alone has helped get me through some of the darker days.

If ever any of you guys are in need of any help and there's owt I can do about it, just let me know, you're a good bunch, and I've enjoyed yer company for the last 3 or 4 years...

Edited by Canada Bob

That's brilliant CB. We certainly hope it's not lingering in way shape or form. Your advice is really sound mate and we should all take heed of it. Wishing you a prolonged cancer free life from now on.

I echo everyone's good wishes Bob. Keep up the posting.

Men have this stupidly macho idea that it's a sissy thing to go to the doctor, especially about things like prostate and bowel problems. It's nothing whatsover to be embarassed about. If in doubt check it out !

Men find it harder to go and see the Doctor.... Well done and i hope you keep well Bob.

My dad is one of the unlucky ones refused to go to the doctor thinking he had a cold with a bad cough and yes it's lung cancer. Chemo will now only buy him time so we have a lot a to deal with if only he had swallowed pride and gone to see a doctor.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, lung cancer is a tough one to battle, cancer thrives where there's a good blood/oxygen

supply, so liver cancer and lung cancer are amongst the worst ones to take on, but...

Do a Google for "Celebrex cancer" & "Noscapine cancer" both medications can be very effective against cancer, well worth reading up on. One size don't fit all with Celebrex, being a Cox-2 inhibitor some folks can have a bad reaction to it, maybe 1 in 10,000 might die from taking it, but the chances are that {at least} 1 in 100 folks who have cancer could kill the cancer or at least stave it off by taking Celebrex. It's like playing Russian Roulette with the cancer, 1 chance in 10,000 that the Celebrex will kill you, 1 chance in 100 {or better than that} it will kill the cancer, but if you do nothing the cancer will be almsot certain to kill.

Keep yer Dad off sugar much as you can, cancer has a high metabolic rate, that's why it thrives on sugar and oxygen.