FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Teenage girls jump from bridge

Dmacca

Two teenage girls have jumped from the Erskine bridge near Glasgow, reportedly holding hands as they jumped.

What the hell makes young people want to do this sort of thing, can things really be that bad in the UK for whatever reason!!

I think people jump off the Forth Road Bridge all the time but they keep it quiet.

I knew the parents of a young lad about 10 years ago whose mate jumped off the FRB. They had him on video even though they had still to find the body. It never made the news either.

Tragic story and somewhat insensative of STV news who were carrying the story to then go on and show graphic video footage of a lad bungee jumping over water and the bungee coming off,fortunatly he survived, but poor timing showing it, given the earlier story.

With the possible exception of me, quite a few boring old gits have contributed something to this thread....

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of any of the many teenage supporters we have who contribute to this forum, on this tragic event.

JB, i dont suppose many teenagers take much notice of events like this to be honest. it more us more worldly ones that are affected by such events.

Aye, teenagers don't see the news at all. What if it had been a teenage girl jumping off the Kessock that some of the teenage boys on here knew, would it still only affect you 'more worldly ones'? Quite a narrow point of view to hold if ya ask me.

On topic anyway.. Not a lot to add to this thread that hasn't already been said. Seems the girls had a hard life, infact had barely even lived at all, and just didn't want to cope anymore. Such a shame to see a premature end to a life like this. RIP.

JB, i dont suppose many teenagers take much notice of events like this to be honest. it more us more worldly ones that are affected by such events.

Aye, teenagers don't see the news at all. What if it had been a teenage girl jumping off the Kessock that some of the teenage boys on here knew, would it still only affect you 'more worldly ones'? Quite a narrow point of view to hold if ya ask me.

Dont go misquoting me, coz you will just look a ***! I at no point sed ALL teenagers!

Of course if someone you knew comitted suicide it would affect you regardless of age. But i stand by my post that that many teenagers dont take much notice of of the lesser everyday events!

Edited by SMEE

The thing I notice more with these loses of young lives is they seem to get more support when they're dead than than did when they were alive.

Not sure i agree with that Gringo. Kids in care have a whole range of people to pander after them, actually, thats true accross the board now. Far too many people prepared to listen to whinging kids these days and thats part of the problem. kids are manipulating the system to get their own way.

My nephew wanted to go into care, coz he saw how specially treated a kid from his class was, who was in care. He wnated for nothing and got preferential treatment in class. That is plain wrong!

The thing I notice more with these loses of young lives is they seem to get more support when they're dead than than did when they were alive.

Not sure i agree with that Gringo. Kids in care have a whole range of people to pander after them, actually, thats true accross the board now. Far too many people prepared to listen to whinging kids these days and thats part of the problem. kids are manipulating the system to get their own way.

My nephew wanted to go into care, coz he saw how specially treated a kid from his class was, who was in care. He wnated for nothing and got preferential treatment in class. That is plain wrong!

I don't think it's that the kids get treated more 'specially' I think people get jealous when they think that someone is getting more than them (I'm pretty sure that kid would have been jealous of things your nephew was given, does that mean he isn't allowed it?). I work with people with mental health problems (in care system) and the experiences in their life are something I would have never wanted. So if someone actually shows them love and as you say 'pander' after their needs then i'm pretty sure it's for the good of their adult life.

These kids have been negletced, some sexually abused, have parents who couldn't cope, some parents who never even wanted them.

Edited by MrsICTFC

I have a lot of admiration for people working in the teenage sector of care or mental health, for that matter. (cue IHE)

They have to somehow get into the mind set of someone who is not thinking on the same wavelength as they are and this must be a constant challenge. It is for a parent and they have grown with the teenager, so it must be so much more difficult for care workers, as in this case.

A zit is a zit.... no, but to some female teenagers it is the end of the world and they are now the ugliest of people.

Someone has a more 'with-it' whatever, end of their world.

Old age is seen as 20, you die at 30 and anyone over that age is a freak, unless it is her Grannie.

Don't even discuss the teenage hormones, we talk about the weather being the four seasons in a day but teenagers can have this number of changes per hour, yet they are so fragile and vulnerable.

Through it all they grow up and come out the other side as 'normal grown-ups', if there is such a thing but we have, in this case, seen the extreme side of this adjusting and it is so sad.

The families, care workers and case workers must all be devastated that they did not manage to get inside the mixed up heads before the youngsters took this action.

I don't think it's that the kids get treated more 'specially' I think people get jealous when they think that someone is getting more than them (I'm pretty sure that kid would have been jealous of things your nephew was given, does that mean he isn't allowed it?). I work with people with mental health problems (in care system) and the experiences in their life are something I would have never wanted. So if someone actually shows them love and as you say 'pander' after their needs then i'm pretty sure it's for the good of their adult life.

These kids have been negletced, some sexually abused, have parents who couldn't cope, some parents who never even wanted them.

You are going to extremes there Miss. In my post...i refer to kids in general nowadays, having a never ending stream of "professionals" ready to listen to their woes at a whim. I have had first hand experience of it. My oldest was playing up at school....made some embellished alegations about his terrible home life. Next thing, there were child psychologists etc scrutinising his mother and the best bit......the actual resolution offered from them was...........................to suggest he was bought a bike...coz he wanted one!

Point being, a kid now just has to throw a hissy fit, before they are labeled and have all sorts of people making excuses for their behaviour etc.....when its a good old kick in the arse is what is required!

yeah Miss....i totally agree...kids should be treated fairly, but also kept in line. seems to me nowadays that many parents dont actually do much parenting and are in fact terrible role models for kids, and hence why society is going to the dogs!

I like to allow my kids to be kids, and am lucky, and in all fairness to them, they are good kids. but if the need arose, i would come down on them like a ton of bricks, because i believe that discipline has a part to play. Sadly, there are plenty that dont share my views.

I was offered the reason for the break down of family values as central heating!!

I must saw, on reflection, that it does embrace good sense.

Pre central heating the house was so cold that, if you were young, you were either in bed or sitting, with the family, in front of a big hot fire - the only source of heat other than the hot water bottle in your bed.

This therefore meant that you, as a child, learnt to converse, reason and accept that life was full of problems that even the grown ups were having problems with. You also maybe played games in this company and learnt that you don't always have the right to win.

Now we have youngsters that will not even share meals with parents and retreat to their warm bedroom where they, via their IT, share with their peers how bad life is treating them and how stupid grown-ups are and the sad bit about it is that the person on the other end of the conversation is also in their teenage island. Maybe not ideal soundboard for sharing/ solving growing up problems.

Compound this with adverts pushing all sorts of difficult to attain ideals and central heating has a lot to answer for.

I know it is not the central heating it is the isolation that this offers to a Young person.

I think the one thing we have to remember is children have changed because of adults. The government worry parents, they can't shout at them etc etc. Computers etc have come in because of adults, times have changed because of adults.

Adults indirectly have made kids lazy, criminals etc.