FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ross County's Mascot

:lol::lol: Oh aye. Suppose you get used to it after a while though.

Aye, I had a good couple of occasions to fly the eagle and thistle flag myself though :)

That must have been some sight. Union Jack... Tricolour... And a Caley flag! :lol: Brilliant.

I was talking about the occasions when ICT beat your wee team, the flag would go out. :D

Just so you know, that red white and blue rag is only called a Union Jack when it is flown from the fore mast of a ship, all other times it's a union flag.

This summer when you are out and about, can you count the amount of union jacks you see on any seaworthy vessel and compare it to the amount of red ensigns or possibly a blue ensign if you are lucky.maybe the royal family get to use it ? I think the last time I spotted a union jack on a boat, Celtic fc was still just a thought and it was legal to eat people is you were shipwrecked as long as they died first.

This summer when you are out and about, can you count the amount of union jacks you see on any seaworthy vessel and compare it to the amount of red ensigns or possibly a blue ensign if you are lucky.maybe the royal family get to use it ? I think the last time I spotted a union jack on a boat, Celtic fc was still just a thought and it was legal to eat people is you were shipwrecked as long as they died first.

What has that got to do with anything? I was just pointing out that the flag in question should only be called a Union Jack when flown from a ship. If you must know, in my travels around the ports of the UK, I have seen the Union flag flown many times as a courtesy flag on foreign vessels. The Red Ensign or Union Flag are both acceptable to be flown as a courtesy flag, for your information, smart ass.

EDIT- Just a little more trivia for you, I have also seen the saltire flown as a courtesy flag in Aberdeen.

Edit number two, since your knowledge on the subject which you are trying to make a fool out of me on seems so poor-

A red ensign is flown by a ship registered in a British port which is manned by non military personnel and not owned by the government, a blue ensign will be flown by a ship which is manned by non military personnel (although there may be military personnel working on it who do not form part of the crew, ie those who are on board for business other than the navigation and running of the vessel) but working on behalf of the UK government, the blue ensign usually carries the crest of whichever government agency are operating the vessel eg customs, RFA, MoD etc. The white ensign is flown by the Royal Navy who used to fly all three of the aforementioned ensigns so that ships of different squads, red, white or blue could recognise each other in battle. I have personally sailed under the red and blue ensigns and the red ensign of the Isle of Man which has the three legged crest on it.

Edited by Revbirdog

The whole "Only a Union Jack when flown from the mast of a ship" thing is a myth.

You have a source for this?

A "jack flag" was a flag flown from the mast mounted on the bow spirit of a vessel, the Union Flag started being called the Union Jack as it was most commonly flown in that position. When it is not flown from there it is not a "jack" flag.

Edited by Revbirdog

http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=7.1

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=7.1

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

I stand corrected, but the rest of what I said is true.

How do you go about being the mascot anyone know?

Phone Emma at the stadium. Normally about ?150.

I think Wyness meant how do you go about being the mascot dressed up in the Nessie costume....

That's certainly what the rest of the thread is about: club mascots in dubious fun-fur costumes.

I guess you could just go in and ask if they're looking for anyone to do it.

Does anyone else remember the short lived mascot Caley the Croc? He and Nessie looked strangely similar. :024:

I think Wyness meant how do you go about being the mascot dressed up in the Nessie costume....

That's certainly what the rest of the thread is about: club mascots in dubious fun-fur costumes.

Not quite with it today! Think Renes idea better.

Nowadays most British registered ships will fly a red, blue, or white ensign, depending on occassion and whether Royal or merchant, from the bowsprit and / or sternpost. When entering a port they will fly the full union flag from the mainmast along with various other flags

Yeah i did. Think i'll phone the stadium and find out about it

Nowadays most British registered ships will fly a red, blue, or white ensign, depending on occassion and whether Royal or merchant, from the bowsprit and / or sternpost. When entering a port they will fly the full union flag from the mainmast along with various other flags

Sorry but you are incorrect there Alex, the red Ensign for merchant ships is our national colours and the flag is usually struck when we leave port. I believe that a white bordered union flag can also be used but no self respecting merchant skipper would do so.

35 years since I was deep sea but the ships I was on (Hogarth and Lyle) flew a duster from the stern. They flew an Andies cross from the bow. When entering or leaving port they flew a Union flag + all the other code flags from the main mast.

PMF, ships still have some form of mast to hang lights, ariels etc from. May not have sails attached but is still referred to as a mast.

Anyway, how does a discussion about a staggie mascot get to a debate about flags.

101, I wasn't aware they charged to get someone into that suit. I always thought it was a volunteer or a paid employee.

I know the matchday mascots i.e. the kids who lead the team out, pay ?160 for the priviledge.