FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Top Five Results 09/10

RiG

What do you think are the five results that were critical to ICTs title charge this season? Mine are detailed below:

1. Wales 3 v 0 Scotland - This was the final game for both Burley and Butcher for Scotland. Not long after this result we started our incredible run that saw us power through the division. It meant Terry concentrated solely on ICT with only minor distractions away from the club.

2. ICT 4 - 3 Raith Rovers. Having let a two goal lead slip against an impressive Rovers side questions were sure to be asked at the final whistle of ICTs title credentials. As the Home fans slipped away to the car park those that stayed until the end watched on as Goalbek lofted a ball into the box which bobbled up for Foran to hit the winner by means of an overhead kick. It wasn't pretty but it was the kind of goal that wins teams titles.

3. ICT 3 - 0 Ross County. Yes they had 10 men but Ross County were arguably one of the best teams in the league and one we had struggled to get anything against so far this season. The early dismissal of Keddie helped no end and a potential banana skin was dodged as the farmers were easily swept aside.

4. Dunfermline 0 v 1 ICT. "We all love Cox!" One swing of Lee Coxs left foot pinched a vital three points on the opening day. The Pars had given us a good game and could easily have won it themselves but we showed a lot of resilience and determination to keep going until the end and a strong Away support was rewarded when deep into stoppage time we grabbed the winner to kick start the season.

5. Dundee 2 - 2 ICT. Perhaps the first game that showed that there was some potential in the ICT squad. Twice Dundee took the lead and twice they were pegged back. In all honesty we should have won this game but it showed great character to go to Dens and have Dundee on the back foot for the majority of the game. It also gave rise to the now infamous chant of "F**k you Dundee you'll never win the league!"

Agree 100% (With RiG's selections).

I'd maybe also include in a top 9 or 10 results:

- The last minute equaliser v. Ayr United at home (3-3 I think). Vital point which kept our unbeaten run going.

- The 2-0 win against Motherwell which showed we could play some fantastic football and damage the so-called bigger teams

- The 5-1 win away to Ayr United which gave all our strikers a big boost in confidence

- The 2-1 home win v. Partick when Rooney scored a (disputed) pen in the 89th minute, giving us a perhaps undeserved 3 points.

Edited by RossP

1. ICT 2 Partick 1 - The last minute Rooney penalty which made a lot of people believe we could get back in the title race.

2. ICT 4 Raith Rovers - Another last minute goal and judging by the celebrations the players think it was just about over.

3. Ayr United 1 ICT 5 - The creation of the now infaous 4-2-3-1 formation.

4. ICT 3 Ayr United 3 - Another incredibly soft last minute penalty which kept the momentum going.

5. ICT 2 Motherwell 0 - A cracking performance against a 'bigger' team which I'm sure would have given a few of the younger boys the confidence to know they could compete in the SPL.

QOTS 1 -1 ICT think it was important that we didnt get into a losing streak after the cup game and partick game and to hold on with 9 men as well showed that the team were willing to buckle down and get the season back on track.

ICT 2 - 1 Partick Last minute penalty to win, when all signs pointed towards a draw.

ICT 3 - 3 Ayr Again another last minute goal but this time to save a defeat

ICT 4 - 3 Raith Great last minute goal when it looked like we have thrown away to the points at 3-1.

Partick 0 -1 ICT the game that took us top of league!!!

I did toy with the idea of including the Ayr equaliser and also the recent 3 - 1 win over QotS but I feel the ones I included surpass them given what was riding on them at the time and also other circumstances when the matches took place :rolleyes:

1 - Partick Thistle 0-1 Inverness CT - A big result which saw us go top

2 - Inverness CT 4-3 Raith Rovers - Richie Foran's goal one of the highlights of the campaign

3 - Inverness CT 3-0 Ross County - First match since going top

4 - Partick Thistle 2-1 Inverness CT - The defeat that sparked the wonderful unbeaten run

5 - Raith Rovers 1-0 Dundee - The one that clinched the league

Agree with Rig but I would add that I think the turnaround, and kick up the ass that was needed, came with the Alba Cup defeat. I think going from a 2-0 lead to a 3-2 defeat really got to the team. Since that day, barring the SC defeat to Killie, we have been unbeaten and had 12 clean sheets.

2. ICT 4 - 3 Raith Rovers. Having let a two goal lead slip against an impressive Rovers side questions were sure to be asked at the final whistle of ICTs title credentials. As the Home fans slipped away to the car park those that stayed until the end watched on as Goalbek lofted a ball into the box which bobbled up for Foran to hit the winner by means of an overhead kick. It wasn't pretty but it was the kind of goal that wins teams titles.

Not pretty?

It was almost the prettiest goal I've ever seen at TCS.... and it was arguably the most significant. It certainly typified the "never say die" spirit that goes right through the whole squad now.

I'd go as far as to describe that one as The Goal of the Season!

ICT 2-1 Partick, Was the first time we had beaten a team above us as i think we were 5th at the time.

Ayr 1-5 ICT, As mentioned, Butcher found his winning formula in the 4-2-3-1.

ICT 3-0 Ross County, The result that wheeled us to win the league, Dundee lost that night as well so it was just perfect.

ICT 4-3 Raith, Probably game of the season in Div 1 and kept us top, it was my 18th birthday and what a day it was :lol:

ICT 2-0 Dunfermline, We HAD to win that game, i was dreading a final showdown and i wanted the league finished, we played one of the best sides in the league and in the end beat them comfortably.

How about Dundee 1 QoS 1? One of the great messiah's first games in charge, yet another abject display from Dundee for all to see on BBC Alba. Another two points dropped, and they only got the one courtesy of a penalty, and playing 10 men for most of the game. It was a sure sign that the wheels were well and truly off the Dundee challenge and that even a new management team couldn't deliver a "bounce". All we needed to do was kick on...

The nil nil draw at Dingwall in March was a vital result. We were without Foran that day and Butcher got his tactics spot on to stifle County. If County had won. they would have been in a commanding position.

I got Derek Adams to read your post for me and he just muttered something about anti football and stormed off........