FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

John Rankin

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Time I said my piece, this fella was today totally 'J.Arthur' , to go one on one with a defender one yard behind and only the goalie to beat and then lose the ball to the said defender is sad!!!! and sad to say that I feel that this player is out of his depth, Blackie, who is far more talented, has been dropped because of poor performances and a poor disciplinary record so lets not kid ourselves any further about this lad and call it adios.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aye your right Sandy, Christie should sell him on at the christmas transfer window  :006:

give the lad a chance eh!! he was one of the best performers against Killie last week.  The whole team is low on confidence at the moment but hopefully after a win at home and a good performance against Rangers and we should be back on track.

Young John will be finding the huge step up from County and the First Division quite tough. I reckon that when he gets his first goal he will eventually get the confidence that he needs to help his game. Seems to be a bit shot-shy. Won't score if he doesn't have a dig - even if its from distance.

But in time I reckon he will be a big success for us.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Fair do's but he had a good chance today and his erse collapsed, never mind positioning and tictac talk that was football and he blew it straight and simple, a right back won our game today and thats football.

He is taking his time to settle , I admit , but the midfield hasn't clicked with him and Black playing without Russell in there to do some water carrying...I think we'll have a better idea of his true capabilities by the turn of the year - good or bad at least he'll have had a fair crack of the whip.

Before I slag Rankin I would really like to know exactly what feckin role and instructions CC gave him yesterday. He was neither a playmaker or an attacking midfielder. At times he looked completely feckin lost. Hart and McBain clogged up the middle of the park and, yet again, we resorted to the big hopeful welly out of defence or a long ball down the line or tried to miss out midfield and target Bayne.

Tactically we were totally inept yesterday. Bayne and Dargo is another pairing that really doesnt work. Dargo got hooked but he must have been totally feckin sick off making good runs and not being given the delivery. Does Bayne ever look to where Dargo is?

Rankin has to be moved to the left whether he likes it or not or e bite the bullet and give Rory and Zander a run of games. Zander brought the game to life. He hugged the left touchline and was always looking to take the defender on. That is what we have been sadly lacking fer ages.

But, then again, Dumbfarmlife were totally feckin dire. We get feckin slagged off for our awy style. Their feckin game plan was clearly to pick up a 1-0 win and their feckin support made ours at Killie last week look like the feckin Nou Camp.

I had my reservations about Rankin's suitabilty before he joined us (especially at the price paid), and nothing that I've seen from him so far has changed my mind.  He really needs to find the pace of game quickly and stamp his authority in the midfield, otherwise we will be carrying a passenger in the team.

Apart fom the odd flash, Rankine has been very poor since joining.

So far, he has not been able to make the step up required for the SPL.

He may do this in time - but for the moment it is a real slap on the face for the rest of the squad that he is continually picked for a start.

It will do Rankine good to have a spell in the reserve team.

Guest donmac298

Have some of you found a new whipping boy?  For goodness sake give the lad a chance, he hasn't played that many games and it's taken far better players than Rankin much longer to settle into a team when they have moved to a new club.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

He's had 9 games in the SPL and thats us quarter of the way through the season, nobody is whipping the lad and maybe my adios tag was harsh but a spell in the reserves will do him no harm.

Guest Suspicious Mind

Nine games is barely dipping your toes at this level.

Rankin has come from the bottom reaches of the first division in a poor Ross County team. To expect an immediate impact at this level is niave or unrealistic. The boy shows flashes every game, creates openings for himself and others, looks to have a "footballing" brain and a willingness to learn.

We could:

a) Encourage him and support his enthusiastic attitude in the knowledge that he will disappoint at times.

b) Criticise him in the belief that for £60/65k we are entitled to Maradona

c) Play him in reserves at a level lower than he has already proved himself.

d) Sell him in January for £30k to one of our competitors.

As in all multiple choice, there is only one correct answer.

Get behind the boy ffs!

Guest 1MORESEASONBLACK

Tactically we were totally inept yesterday. Bayne and Dargo is another pairing that really doesnt work. Dargo got hooked but he must have been totally feckin sick off making good runs and not being given the delivery. Does Bayne ever look to where Dargo is?

Yes at last somebody with a bit of sense. Dargo with ICT is  a PROVEN goalscorer but needs service to his feet. Last season when he played alongside Brewster or Bayne he never scored - then paired up with Wyness he was banging them in. I never saw one ball Bayne won land at the feet of Dargo.

Anyway Zander should be given a chance of the left midfield slot with Rankin taking in a few reserve games until he is used to the SPL.

Guest Suspicious Mind

1MORESEASONBLACK

Sorry, can't do the "quotey" thing!

Don't mean to be pedantic but how will playing in the SPL reserve league at all the daft times of the day, mostly against U-21's help Rankin find his feet in the SPL?

Guest 1MORESEASONBLACK

1MORESEASONBLACK

Sorry, can't do the "quotey" thing!

Don't mean to be pedantic but how will playing in the SPL reserve league at all the daft times of the day, mostly against U-21's help Rankin find his feet in the SPL?

Well have him on the bench then. I have nothing against him i think he has what it takes but he is giving us little to shout about at the moment. Blackie is by far a better player and Duncan a more accomplished player.

He played out on the flank against St Mirren and kept drifting into the centre leaving us with no width. I'd personally have  Zander out left.

Does Bayne ever get a chance when he has 2 defenders on him after the opponents have sussed out our game plan after 30 seconds?

Have some of you found a new whipping boy?  For goodness sake give the lad a chance, he hasn't played that many games and it's taken far better players than Rankin much longer to settle into a team when they have moved to a new club.

I agree. The guy is obviously really low on confidence and you could tell that from his miss yesterday. Apparently he was one of our best players last weekend as well!

Agreed he needs time to adjust to SPL , but the system we play must be awful  for a central midfielder ,everytime the ball sails over his head on its way to the opposing centre half . 

Again - totally agree. If we persist with long ball there is no need for midfielders in our system.