FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Pope v Football

Dmacca

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine that if the Pope was making weekly appearances home and away in addition to a few midweek shows as well, crowds might well shrink quite quickly.

not so sure about that Charles, most Sundays Saint Peter's is mobbed with people waiting for the Pope's Sunday Blessing.

Yes, but at least the stewards allow the fans to stand, and as a result a lot more join in the singing.

The stewards in St. Peter's Square are actually pretty pernickety and would certainly fall out with Section G quite quickly. I was there (St P's - not Section G)in July and after you queue up to go through the metal detectors on your way into St. Peter's Basilica you then have to get past not one but TWO sets of "stewards" checking that you are dressed appropriately. They DO NOT like bare legs and bare arms and even if you have been queueing up for half an hour, you get bounced for showing excess flesh.

Burkhas, therefore, are absolutely fine. On which subject (and I apologise if I have already told this on another thread)I was quite bemused to see two women in Burkha like garb in St P's itself... playing Peekaboo in a Confessional Box! :rotflmao:

All the "steward" did this time was to ask them to stop whereas I couldn't help thinking that an equivalent incident in Mecca would have sparked all manner of Fatwahs, Jihads and evocations of Death on the Infidels, with severed hands and ears flying all over the place.

Edited by Charles Bannerman