FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brown resigns as Motherwell boss.

Johnboy

It is hard to see on the face of it how this is a good move for either party.

Is the long term answer to Aberdeen's problems really to employ a 70 year old?

Clearly from the statements made by Brown he fears that Motherwell may have peaked and mentions players whose contracts are up for renewal and the desire to take in new players whilst implying that this does not seem to be supported by the Board.

I*'m not really sure how much better the financial situation is at Aberdeen compared to Motherwell. It's not like McGhee had much to work with there and I can't see that changing for Brown.

Aberdeen, in getting in Calderwood, firing him and then getting McGhee have spent upwards of ?1.2 million in compensation. I wonder where the team would be if that had been invested in the squad.

Intially i was suprised but not really anymore, Brown said himself that he faced the prospect of losing a few key players at Motherwell and it looked like he had taken them as far as they could go.

He is the type of manager that Aberdeen need just now, he will inherit a decent squad and the challenge of getting them up the table will appeal to someone like Brown. Good luck to him, he will need it.

"a decent squad"?? I can't see where you're getting that from. For my money, it's a slightly poorer squad than Motherwell's. My gut feeling is they've moved for their own salaries, no matter how much they deny it. What else was Milne saying when he came back to them "oh please, oh please oh please reconsider"? I doubt it. More like "I can go an extra ?xxx a week"

The whole 'players out of contract, not the money to keep the squad together' nonsense was used by McGhee. Yet, I didn't see much difference when he went to Aberdeen.

I just wonder if it might be McGhee to Motherwell. I think, after a couple of matches, 'Well fans will get used to it. McGhee will go anywhere there's a wage packet or a chance of compensation, plus he inherits a top six squad. Perhaps, then, he won't be so desperate to leave (but he will as soon as a sniff comes along).

Clearly from the statements made by Brown he fears that Motherwell may have peaked . . .

That may be so, but there is no guarantee that Aberdeen have bottomed out - after all, there is still one league placing between them and the drop zone.

I can see how a move away from Motherwell can be seen as a shrewd move by Brown, but not to Aberdeen! doh.gif

I don't think Dons supporters should get carried away with Brown being 70 years of age. To me he looks a very sprightly 70 year old and he certainly has the tactical and coaching experience to take the Dons forward. Good guy bad guy set up I think and I certainly wouldn't mess with big Archie - no matter how old he is! Good luck to them both - as long as they stay below us in the league and don't perform when they play us.

...he will inherit a decent squad...

Aberdeen's squad is rubbish. There are certainly some decent players there but looking at it in terms of a squad it's about as poor as it has been in recent years.

Aberdeen's squad is rubbish. There are certainly some decent players there but looking at it in terms of a squad it's about as poor as it has been in recent years.

Yep, who would be in the back-line for Aberdeen? How many of them could be considered 'decent players'?

New chairman willing to spend?? There are zero rumours in Aberdeen about that. Why would Milne leave now when in a few years he'll be able to turn Pittodrie into flats?

Yes there are , Sir Ian Wood is rumoured to be taking over as Chairman . I didn't realise you were on speaking terms to everyone in Aberdeen RossP :tongueincheek:

New chairman willing to spend?? There are zero rumours in Aberdeen about that. Why would Milne leave now when in a few years he'll be able to turn Pittodrie into flats?

Yes there are , Sir Ian Wood is rumoured to be taking over as Chairman . I didn't realise you were on speaking terms to everyone in Aberdeen RossP :tongueincheek:

Not everyone, but I am on speaking terms with one of the caretaker bosses for Aberdeen, several of their first team, their Head of Youth Development and many of their Administration staff. Add that to the many Dons fans I work with, play football with and go for pints with; in addition to the Northsound/P&J Sports desk staff that my partner works with.

Not one has ever mentioned this outlandish rumour about Sir Ian Wood becoming Chairman. Hell, even a quick search of AFC Chat brings up nothing about it! :rotflmao:

But then... you might have better connections than I.

• Agree 2

Ok poor choice of words, was in a rush when i posted this earlier.

There are players such as Vernon, Maguire, Aluko, McArdle etc who havent played well under McGhee. But if anyone is going to get the best out of them Craig Brown will, their backline is in need of serious work, they have so many players playing out of position there.

Everyone was talkimg about TB and the Dons...but not about Well. I doubt it's a step-up, but former managers etc..

Motherwell should have had Brown and Knox on contracts by now. Boyle is bitter because he's looking the fool, by fsiling to do his job properly.