FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

XBOX OR PLAYSTATION

CaleyMad

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better platform?

• Microsoft Xbox 360
    • Sony Playstation 3
    • I dont play game consoles!

This topic is mainly to settle an argument between a clueless CTO member and Myself.

The main two platforms that will be discussed are the Sony Playstation and the Microsoft Xbox 360.

If you dont know a clue about Consoles ill help you with this list.

Playstation 3: A little bit dearer than its competion although much more practical and money saving for the future months. You have access to a free online feature and when purchasing Add-On's, Themes, Games etc from the Playstation Store, Then the prices are clearly displayed in GBP rather than any other form of currency. The Graphics card is much better than any other games console on the market. When needing to attach a Headset to the playstation 3, any convential bluetooth headset or wired microphone (with a usb adapter) can be used without the problem of going out and buying a headset for twice the price because it has a unique connective slot. USB Keyboards can be plugged in and used within seconds and again this is a good feature as other platforms allow you to buy there over priced unique connective keyboards. It also has a built in WiFi adapter so there is no need to be going out and buying a certain Microsoft Wireless Adapter worth ?60. The PS3 Controller is wireless as standard and doesnt work on batterys. This is to stop any unnesserary cost on Batterys as the controller can be recharged via the Playstation 3. I will admit that there was problems with the original PS3 which they have stopped making now. The PS3 Slim has no current problems with it what so ever. The hard drive on the Playstation is much higher and very rarely you would have to get an extention. This is probably the most user friendly console on the market.

Xbox 360: If you want to go online, you have to pay money to go online! If you want to buy smoething you have to purchase MICROSOFT POINTS which is just there to confuse you so you have no idea how much something is actually worth. You WILL get a red ring of death and your xbox will break within a year. You have to spend money on batterys for your computer. You will have to buy a wireless adapter if you havent got the new xbox. All add on's are over priced. It has the worlds hardest dashboard to navigate in. Its utter s***.

Which one would you choose?

• Disagree 1

You make a compelling and TOTALLY unbiased comparrison CaleyMad :tongueincheek:

I got the ps3 here....and due to buying my oldest the XBOX 360 slim for his xmas, even tho theres nothing wrong with his old Xbox360, but its what he wants.....anyhoo....i am about to inherit his old Xbox 360.

I have to admit to being a bit of a playstation fan, having owned all versions of the platform they have released.

My oldest, who is quite the critic of all things gaming, says that the ps3 has the better capability, but he prefers the Xbox.

I cant see much difference to be honest, other than the xbox is about £100 cheaper, and that on rare occasion, some games are restricted to one platform or the other. But as Scotty says, you get an in built Blu Ray player included with the ps3.

All in all....if its simply for gaming alone.....despite being a Playstation fan, i dont see the point paying an extra £100 on the PS3. then again....the red ring of death does seem to haunt the xbox, so mibees, for the sake of longevity and reliability, PS3 is the way to go....yes...yes...am sure thats my answer :twothumbsup:

Edited by SMEE

This topic is mainly to settle an argument between a clueless CTO member and Myself.

The main two platforms that will be discussed are the Sony Playstation and the Microsoft Xbox 360.

If you dont know a clue about Consoles ill help you with this list.

Playstation 3: A little bit dearer than its competion although much more practical and money saving for the future months. You have access to a free online feature and when purchasing Add-On's, Themes, Games etc from the Playstation Store, Then the prices are clearly displayed in GBP rather than any other form of currency. The Graphics card is much better than any other games console on the market. When needing to attach a Headset to the playstation 3, any convential bluetooth headset or wired microphone (with a usb adapter) can be used without the problem of going out and buying a headset for twice the price because it has a unique connective slot. USB Keyboards can be plugged in and used within seconds and again this is a good feature as other platforms allow you to buy there over priced unique connective keyboards. It also has a built in WiFi adapter so there is no need to be going out and buying a certain Microsoft Wireless Adapter worth ?60. The PS3 Controller is wireless as standard and doesnt work on batterys. This is to stop any unnesserary cost on Batterys as the controller can be recharged via the Playstation 3. I will admit that there was problems with the original PS3 which they have stopped making now. The PS3 Slim has no current problems with it what so ever. The hard drive on the Playstation is much higher and very rarely you would have to get an extention. This is probably the most user friendly console on the market.

Xbox 360: If you want to go online, you have to pay money to go online! If you want to buy smoething you have to purchase MICROSOFT POINTS which is just there to confuse you so you have no idea how much something is actually worth. You WILL get a red ring of death and your xbox will break within a year. You have to spend money on batterys for your computer. You will have to buy a wireless adapter if you havent got the new xbox. All add on's are over priced. It has the worlds hardest dashboard to navigate in. Its utter s***.

Which one would you choose?

The 360 is far from ***** as our friend suggests. I'll rebuke his points;

"Xbox 360: If you want to go online, you have to pay money to go online!"

Yep you do. For ?40 a year. However, you get a much better service then the PSN. You also have a remit not to cheat, and many people are banned for cheating, something that is impossible to do on the current PSN setup. Also, Online gaming is far more stable on the 360 then the PSN because of this fact - and Sony have already talked about introducing a PSN Premium service that is going to have...wait for it...dedicated game lobbies for those who use this service. Essentially, Xbox Live. I would happily pay for a better service, and I happily do.

"Xbox 360: If you want to buy something you have to purchase MICROSOFT POINTS which is just there to confuse you so you have no idea how much something is actually worth."

MS Points are not confusing - for anyone to suggest otherwise then they must have trouble putting their socks on in the morning. It's a very easy, and non-confusing system. It's also quite simple to understand how much something is worth.

"You WILL get a red ring of death and your xbox will break within a year."

Let me rephrase. You MIGHT get a red ring of death and your xbox MIGHT break within a year. I can quote numerous personal and national stories where people have bought launch 360s and not had a single problem. Indeed, before I upgraded to the new Xbox I hadn't had any issues with it, and have owned it for over 3 years. Also, if you DO get the RROD then MS will replace it, free of charge.

It's not as if MS are the only company to have issues with their consoles. I certainly remember a certain Disc Read Error plaguing all Playstation 2s. And what did Sony do? Advise people to buy new consoles. Then there is the YLOD on the current crop of PS3s which many people have encountered. Again, Sony will not replace the consoles.

"You have to spend money on batterys for your computer."

Oh dear. Spending money on batteries. What a shame. Or just buy the Play and Charge kit at a measly ?15.

"You will have to buy a wireless adapter if you havent got the new xbox."

Or just use a cable. Certainly far more stable then a wireless connection will ever be.

"All add on's are over priced."

Emm what?

"It has the worlds hardest dashboard to navigate in."

Really? It's fairly simple.

I could go into the ergonomics of the controller, the support that you get, the ease of programming for the 360, and the fact that more people own them. Let's also not forget that most online reviews give multi-platform games better scores for the 360 version then the PS3 version and 9/10 the graphic difference is so unnoticeable then it doesn't matter.

In the end though, you buy what you want to buy.

• Agree 3

I have both, one is down stairs as a "dvd player" and the other is upstairs for gaming and skyplayer. Xbox wins hands down as a platform for games, ps3 is a bit better at media things but does not have sky player.. xbox wins for me.

I have both, one is down stairs as a "dvd player" and the other is upstairs for gaming and skyplayer. Xbox wins hands down as a platform for games, ps3 is a bit better at media things but does not have sky player.. xbox wins for me.

What about if you want to watch BBC iPLAYER, STV or 4oD???????????

The 360 is far from ***** as our friend suggests. I'll rebuke his points;

"Xbox 360: If you want to go online, you have to pay money to go online!"

Yep you do. For ?40 a year. However, you get a much better service then the PSN. You also have a remit not to cheat, and many people are banned for cheating, something that is impossible to do on the current PSN setup. Also, Online gaming is far more stable on the 360 then the PSN because of this fact - and Sony have already talked about introducing a PSN Premium service that is going to have...wait for it...dedicated game lobbies for those who use this service. Essentially, Xbox Live. I would happily pay for a better service, and I happily do.

Its overrated and not much difference.

"Xbox 360: If you want to buy something you have to purchase MICROSOFT POINTS which is just there to confuse you so you have no idea how much something is actually worth."

MS Points are not confusing - for anyone to suggest otherwise then they must have trouble putting their socks on in the morning. It's a very easy, and non-confusing system. It's also quite simple to understand how much something is worth.

Its only there for people NOT to realise how overpriced the XBL Marketplace is.

"You WILL get a red ring of death and your xbox will break within a year."

Let me rephrase. You MIGHT get a red ring of death and your xbox MIGHT break within a year. I can quote numerous personal and national stories where people have bought launch 360s and not had a single problem. Indeed, before I upgraded to the new Xbox I hadn't had any issues with it, and have owned it for over 3 years. Also, if you DO get the RROD then MS will replace it, free of charge.

It's not as if MS are the only company to have issues with their consoles. I certainly remember a certain Disc Read Error plaguing all Playstation 2s. And what did Sony do? Advise people to buy new consoles. Then there is the YLOD on the current crop of PS3s which many people have encountered. Again, Sony will not replace the consoles.

will the hassle of sending it back, waiting a few weeks, then getting it back trying to recover you gamertag...and the problems are only on the fat ps3

"You have to spend money on batterys for your computer."

Oh dear. Spending money on batteries. What a shame. Or just buy the Play and Charge kit at a measly ?15.

more un-nessery costs which that playstation comes as standard... saving you money everyday ;)

"You will have to buy a wireless adapter if you havent got the new xbox."

Or just use a cable. Certainly far more stable then a wireless connection will ever be.

Thats if your xbox is near to the router because unlike you, some people have to play it from other rooms!

"All add on's are over priced."

Emm what?

you heard

"It has the worlds hardest dashboard to navigate in."

Really? It's fairly simple.

Have you tryed the PS3 Dashboard?

I could go into the ergonomics of the controller, the support that you get, the ease of programming for the 360, and the fact that more people own them. Let's also not forget that most online reviews give multi-platform games better scores for the 360 version then the PS3 version and 9/10 the graphic difference is so unnoticeable then it doesn't matter.

"Xbox user :Whats the pixel on the floor" BANG (Granade) PS3 User: "S*** he is cooking a granade which is certainly going to be aimed at me!!!!!!

In the end though, you buy what you want to buy.

Playstation 3

• Disagree 1

I have an XBox, but the only games I ever play on it is Guitar Hero or Golf....and not that often now that we have a Wii in the sitting room that we play as a family on a vast array of games. I've never owned a Playstation, and never had any inclination to buy one, but having looked into it for my sister who was considering one for her boy for Xmas I made the following observations......

XBox Console = Cheaper (£85+)

XBox Wireless Controller + Rechargable Batteries = Cheaper

XBox Games, larger variety, prices the same

The merits of each console can be argued all day long, but any suggestion that the PS3 is in any way cheaper is, quite frankly, bollocks.

The initial saving on the console alone goes a long way towards purchasing any extras one may wish to add....

- Stand Alone Blue Ray Player and a couple of movies

- 2 Years Online Access

- 2 top games

- 2 additional controllers

- 10 sets of rechargeable batteries, or 6 Play and Charge Kits.

- 2 Wireless adapters or 20 cables to connect it to your PC/Laptop and use that as the wireless adapter

- A luxury "get a life" pack for your PS3 obsessed friend who seems to have little else to give meaning to his existence.

- many other things and/or combination of things