FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tactics for Cellic

12th Man

What going on? its a big game tomorrow night and a dougal thread is creating more interest regarding something that even Dr Who cant be bothered to go back in time to find out who the disgruntled 8 were.

Since that date we Have beaten Celtic twice and were 4 minutes away from making it a hat trick of wins over Celtic in the cup,which orchestrated the departure of Barnes and what a result beating Celtic with the well respected manager Martin O Neil in charge.

Its not going well for Celtic, a wasted journey up north, whilst Rangers narrow the gap in the league with a game in hand, they now have to come up here with the fear of losing to a Highland team again with the pressure of expectation weighted on their shoulders and have to face up to a solid Inverness side who will play with no fear, only days prior to an Old Firm cup clash.

Never mind what the teams plans are, Terry and Mo have got that well sorted.

What are the warm up plans for the Highland savages that ICT fc can proudly call fans.

Stand up for the Caley Jags

Bring on the Celtic and make it a night to remember.

• Agree 2

Inverness pair Jonny Hayes and Aaron Doran are fit again and pushing for a place in the rescheduled Scottish Cup quarter-final.

best paragraph ever

bbc update

Oh no!!

BBC match preview when we played Hibs said Hayes is fit after returning from injury- He never even made the bench

Then midweek against Dundee Utd it said- Hayes is out injured- and he started!!

Inverness pair Jonny Hayes and Aaron Doran are fit again and pushing for a place in the rescheduled Scottish Cup quarter-final.

best paragraph ever

bbc update

Thats good news, are they played better as super subs to tie in with a fresh counter attacking striker? For many games I had wished we had Hayes back in the team but what a team performance against Motherwell, Solid proven defenders, solid performances by Cox and Duncan with Sutherland and Foran on the wing, made life pretty easy for Rooney and Ross, with good service coming from all directions and solid defending from the 8 team mates behind intercepting every threatening ball on route to our goal.

I just hope we have a good quality ref, it would be a pity if he gets sucked into having to assess amateur dramatics on the pitch, I enjoyed the ICT v Motherwell match and I think the ref enjoyed it too, having so many honest players on the pitch made his life easy, no simulation, no play acting, just an Honorable game of football to officiate.

We've arranged for IHE to sit next to Lennon in the stands, he's going to draw him in with is Celtic Tattoo and then ask if he wishes to see his other football tattoo.

When the unsuspecting Lennon agrees he'll be subjected to the infamous Immortal Howden Rear-Ender. That should be enough to send him (anyone) over the edge.

• Agree 3

We've arranged for IHE to sit next to Lennon in the stands, he's going to draw him in with is Celtic Tattoo and then ask if he wishes to see his other football tattoo.

When the unsuspecting Lennon agrees he'll be subjected to the infamous Immortal Howden Rear-Ender. That should be enough to send him (anyone) over the edge.

Not Lennon. He'll think he's looking in a mirror.

• Agree 1

Is that because hes an erse hole

To be serious, the key is total commitment. This match is the last thing Celtic want. We've humbled them before and they have a very important match against Rangers at the weekend. They are on a hiding to nothing so we need to be right into them and pressurising them all the time. We need to keep it tight at the back as the worst thing will be to lose and early goal. I've got a good feeling about this one. :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Is that because hes an erse hole

Or maybe a whole erse?

Guest Mahonio

I would play as we did in the 1st half of the 1st game of the season and also target Charlie Mulgrew if he starts in Defence for Celtic as he is their weak link in that department, oh, and give the ball to either Hayes or Doran if they are playing, they will torment the Celtic backline :wink:.

Also, a bit less of route one: lump it up the park, unless we are losing with about 10mins to go, that is the only time to use route 1 IMHO.

COME ON CALEY, WE CAN DO IT :).

Celtic have demonstrated they are now a good footballing side so I'd expect Terry's tactics to counter that and if it means long ball then so be it. We have the players to hit them on the break but I'm not quite counting chickens just yet.

I know most fans won't like it but it's long ball time - not through desperation though. Izaguirre and Wilson are both good full-backs, so can't expect too much from them. The odd break. Players like Brown, Kayal and Commons are good players, so we really need to hang back there.

Where we can move is, especially with Majstorovic out, muscling in on, presumably Rogne and Mulgrew. They can batter them into submission. I'd play 4-3-1-2:

Tuffey

Tokely - Hogg - Innes/Munro - Gillet/Munro

Duff - Cox - Duncan

Hayes (free role)

Rooney - Sutherland

The midfield 3 to protect. Get it up to the front two via long ball. Hayes picking up the stray ball and running at the defence, wherever he feels comfortable. All going to plan, then Doran replaces Hayes after an hour.

I know most fans won't like it but it's long ball time - not through desperation though. Izaguirre and Wilson are both good full-backs, so can't expect too much from them. The odd break. Players like Brown, Kayal and Commons are good players, so we really need to hang back there.

Where we can move is, especially with Majstorovic out, muscling in on, presumably Rogne and Mulgrew. They can batter them into submission. I'd play 4-3-1-2:

Tuffey

Tokely - Hogg - Innes/Munro - Gillet/Munro

Duff - Cox - Duncan

Hayes (free role)

Rooney - Sutherland

The midfield 3 to protect. Get it up to the front two via long ball. Hayes picking up the stray ball and running at the defence, wherever he feels comfortable. All going to plan, then Doran replaces Hayes after an hour.

No Richie foran??

For me we have to keep the 4-4-2 and get at Celtic as much as possible. I'd go with:

Tuffey/Esson

Duff - Tokely - Hogg - Munro

Hayes - Cox - Duncan - Doran

Rooney - Foran

In terms of Celtic, they're without Wilson, Majstorovic and Brown. I expect their defence to be:

Forster

Juarez - Rogne - Mulgrew - Izaguirre

Just a few points here. However ugly it is, the long ball may be our best form of attack tonight. Foran will win headers against Rogne and Mulgrew but It is essential that we get support to Foran from Rooney, Hayes and Doran so that we can win the second ball and develop play. I remember seeing Graham Bayne play against Rangers a few seasons back and he won every single long ball that night and I'm pretty certain Foran is capable of doing the same tonight.

The two Celtic full-backs are both very attacking and will look to get forward as much as possible. This will therefore leave gaps in behind that we can exploit through Hayes and Doran on the counter-attack. However, it is very important the two wingers track back and do their job defensively. Cox and Duncan must play well tonight if we're to stand a chance. They'll probably be up against Kayal and Ledley who have become known for their passing so it imperative that they get in their faces and don't give them time to pick out passes.

My main worry is our defence. The Celtic wingers are likely to be Commons on the left and either McCourt or Forrest on the other side. These are players who are capable of beating the full-back and delivering a good ball into the box. I especially worry about Munro playing out of position at left back as he's not all together fast and could easily be beaten in a one-on-one situation. This just highlights how important it is that Hayes and Doran track back and even double up on the Celtic wingers to make it much harder for them. Celtic will start with Hooper being partnered by either Samaras or Stokes. We all know Tokely and Hogg will win anything in the air but the worry is that Celtic get the ball into the strikers feet and they begin feeding it for supporting midfielders and full backs.

This is by no means an easy game and on paper Celtic look to have a team capable of winning comfortably but with plenty of team work, this is a game that we can win and progress into the next round.

• Agree 1

For me we have to keep the 4-4-2 and get at Celtic as much as possible. I'd go with:

Tuffey/Esson

Duff - Tokely - Hogg - Munro

Hayes - Cox - Duncan - Doran

Rooney - Foran

In terms of Celtic, they're without Wilson, Majstorovic and Brown. I expect their defence to be:

Forster

Juarez - Rogne - Mulgrew - Izaguirre

Just a few points here. However ugly it is, the long ball may be our best form of attack tonight. Foran will win headers against Rogne and Mulgrew but It is essential that we get support to Foran from Rooney, Hayes and Doran so that we can win the second ball and develop play. I remember seeing Graham Bayne play against Rangers a few seasons back and he won every single long ball that night and I'm pretty certain Foran is capable of doing the same tonight.

The two Celtic full-backs are both very attacking and will look to get forward as much as possible. This will therefore leave gaps in behind that we can exploit through Hayes and Doran on the counter-attack. However, it is very important the two wingers track back and do their job defensively. Cox and Duncan must play well tonight if we're to stand a chance. They'll probably be up against Kayal and Ledley who have become known for their passing so it imperative that they get in their faces and don't give them time to pick out passes.

My main worry is our defence. The Celtic wingers are likely to be Commons on the left and either McCourt or Forrest on the other side. These are players who are capable of beating the full-back and delivering a good ball into the box. I especially worry about Munro playing out of position at left back as he's not all together fast and could easily be beaten in a one-on-one situation. This just highlights how important it is that Hayes and Doran track back and even double up on the Celtic wingers to make it much harder for them. Celtic will start with Hooper being partnered by either Samaras or Stokes. We all know Tokely and Hogg will win anything in the air but the worry is that Celtic get the ball into the strikers feet and they begin feeding it for supporting midfielders and full backs.

This is by no means an easy game and on paper Celtic look to have a team capable of winning comfortably but with plenty of team work, this is a game that we can win and progress into the next round.

These are the kind of posts I'd like to see more of (even when I don't totally agree - don't think Hayes and Doran can track back enough, even when 100% fit).

These are the kind of posts I'd like to see more of (even when I don't totally agree - don't think Hayes and Doran can track back enough, even when 100% fit).

Thanks! I totally understand your point about Hayes/Doran and maybe Ross would be a better pick to start with either Hayes or Doran being used as a super sub if needed. My one concern about Ross is that nobody seems to know his best position? If thats behind the striker, that means dropping Foran deeper which in my opinion is not an option for tonight, as i feel he'll be so integral to our success tonight.