FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tade v Rooney

12th Man

I've been looking at some stats and Rooney's 1st SPL season was 10 starts, 20 subs and 5 goals.

It wasn't till Rooney was back in the 1st division that his confidence really grew setting himself up for a successful year back in the SPL and earning himself a move to a Championship club.

Even in his most successful season with us, he scored 16 goals from 80 shots so at a ratio of 16/80.

1 in every 5 attempts went in.

Theres not much to compare Tade with yet but going by the Rooney stats hes only 2 goals short of Rooney's 1st season tally already and seeing as it took Rooney 5 attempts to score each goal in what you would call a good season then I think Tade can afford to relax into his game a bit more in front of goal.

Looking in to it a bit deeper a lot of those goals were from the penalty spot so really its taken Rooney about 10 attempts to score 1 goal in open play.

So when Tade is in the box and giving the goalie the eyes, I hope he thinks about Mr 1 in 10 before pulling the trigger.

If you had to sit a test, theres 0% pressure if the pass mark is 10 %

• Agree 3

You could say the same thing about Rooney when he first started (apart from the defenders bit). By the end of the season, we will see. He's played a handful of games with a weakened team. Look at how badly Torres started with Chelsea. Let him get at least half a season under his belt before condemning him.

I was a bit wary at the start but I think he'll come good. Getting in the right position is a big ask of a player. Tade seems to be doing that. A bit of confidence, a bit of a run and he may well outstrip Rooney. But let's give him a chance. If Hearts, Motherwell, St Johnstone, Dunfermline and Aberdeen (and I'd say Rangers too) can't buy penalty box strikers, then how can we? Same as we did with Rooney. We get someone with an inkling of talent and attempt to coax a bit more from them. I think he'll do well come the end of the season. Right now, he's absolutely a first pick.

Rooney took a while to settle in but he showed promise and I always felt he would become a valuable goalscorer.

He gained strength, knowledge and confidence in a short period of time.

Tade works hard - but does not inspire confidence in the same way. He will NOT emulate Rooney.

That said, I'd far sooner have him up front than Foran. Perhaps with Mackay or Sutherland playing just ahead.

Edited by WeAreSPL

Rooney took a while to settle in but he showed promise and I always felt he would become a valuable goalscorer.

Tade works hard - but does not inspire confidence in the same way. He will NOT emulate Rooney.

That said, I'd far sooner have him up front than Foran. Perhaps with Mackay or Sutherland playing just ahead.

And just how often have you seen MacKay play to come to the conclusion that you would far rather see him playing upfront with Tade than Foran?

I accept that Foran has missed some glorious chances this season and in that sense he's a bit like Tade. Both work hard in their different ways but Foran has the vision Tade lacks. He plays some great through balls, attacks the ball very well at the back post and lays off good balls to others - such as for our first goal on Saturday.

It's a bit of a dilemma for Terry. On the one hand you feel you can't leave either Tade or Foran out but on the other you can't afford to play them both. To my mind Foran should be playing deeper but I don't know who you would leave out - particularly when Hayes and Doran are fit again. But we do need to score more goals and can't rely on the midfield to chip in all the time. I would be inclined to give Sutherland the guarantee of a few games to see if he can exploit the chaos Tade causes. I would also like to see MacKay get a chance - he could come on as a late sub for either Tade or Sutherland and if the Tade / Sutherland combination does not produce goals then he could replace Sutherland for a run. Another option is to play Sutherland in the lone striker role because he strikes me as more of a Rooney type player who can hold up the ball and bring in the supporting midfied players - he also seems to be sharper in front of goal than Tade. Tade sure scares the hell out defenders but seems to lack the awareness to bring in others and therefore unless we can find a way to exploit the very considerable attributes he has, I fear he may be the one who has to be left out of the side.

I am confident that either Tade will start scoring more or he will enable someone else to. We are not far from being a very effective attacking force and it won't be long before things click and I really hope Tade is a part of that. Nobody deserves success more than him.

• Agree 3

I dont doubt for one second that Tade gives his all when playing and that his powerfull running gives defenders nightmares, but dont you think that other managers have been down this route with Gregory and tried to sort out the finishing issues he has? Raith fans highlighted this during the closes season that he would get himself into great postions and feck up the final ball.

I would love to see him convert these chances as he looks so happy when scores( apart from last saturday)

foran doesnt get enough credit imo he wins about 80% of long balls up the pitch against big centre halfs which actually led to andy shinnies goal and has played tade through on more occasions than i care to remember yes he can be frustrating when hes the last man up front but as a second striker we have no one better

I think that the issue really is that both Tade and Foran are not goal scorers - they are chance creators. In another time, Foran was a big goal scorer, but like Ross Tokely his attributes have changed over time and a new role for him in the team has to be found. I believe though that the problem can be resolved simply - a switch to the 4-3-3. At this moment in time, both Hayes and Doran are out and Chippendale only seems to get on the bench for some reason. Neither Ross or Davis are real out and out wingers and are both far better down the middle.

Lets look hypothetically for a moment - a ball playing midfield three of say, Davis-Tansey-A.Shinnie have all the necessary attributes to play the ball forward and create chances - this is in-turn helped by the use of three men in front, preferably Tade-McKay-Foran. The midfield three can play the to the front three which could easily allow for more opportunities for Tade and Foran to do what they do best - creating chances, and with the addition of Billy McKay as "the finisher", profiting from the work of those around him. A front three of this type could also allow both Tade and Foran to pull wide and exploit flanks, something some believe they are better placed. Perhaps this is the solution to the goal scoring problems.

I think given that we are persisisting with 2 battering rams up front id say we are getting as good as we can have.

In all my years as an Inverness fan i have never seen a striker as hard working as Tade, the amount of effort and endeavour he puts in is unreal and for that he will always be one of my first on my team selection, he reminds a little bit on Dirk Kuyt. Yes he misses chances but the fact is on paper he is our top scorer and has probably been one of our most consistent performers in the last month or so. It is unfair to compare him to Adam Rooney imo, Rooney has a proven track record and had no real previous before he came here. We knew Tade wasnt renound for goals.

Foran is under immense pressure and to an extent is struggling to cope imo. Himself, Rosscoe and i suppose Hogg are the only real experience outfield players that we have now, Foran also has the weight of captaincy on his shoulders and has been battling through the pain barrier in recent weeks with more than one injury, people have criticised him for giving little in recent performance but in my opinion he is simply being run ragged, he needs a break, at the end of the day he is 31 and hasnr got the energy he once posessed, i think once our squad is fitter and contains more options a rest from action may not be the worst idea for Mr Foran.

• Agree 2

Yes. Please lay off Foran..everything good which has been said about him is true and he is invaluable.

He seems to pop up in the right place and can score goals. And if he doesn't score he's still laying off great balls in the box or makes a deft flick here and a defter flick there.So he is a dangerous player and his experience needs to be there to steady the ship.

His heading in the box is one of his strongest attributes and a couple of games ago I think it was, he was VERY unlucky not to score when it hit the post because it was a cracking header.Also we should not try to undermine this already developing team by making clucking noises every time he just doesn't quite make it and you can't fault him for effort. Who would replace him I wonder ..eh?

Time to say nice things and get off his back I think . Praise where praise is due--that's the best way to get the best out of him.

I suspect Foran will start banging them in sooner or later. He is a goalscorer and at the heart of many of our chances. His form is good but his touch is slightly off. I don't think the latter will last long. If you're looking for ability, I think Foran is the best player we have. He can score, he can pass, he can win in the air, he works like a dog. Whether in central midfield, as a striker or on the left-wing, he's a regular start for me.

I don't know why people are so keen for McKay to start. 75 apps for Northampton, 13 goals. Hardly rapier-like. Yet to score an SPL goal too (although perhaps not entirely his fault). Let him prove himself from the bench first.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Rooney was a prolific penalty taker.

Which got me thinking......to get a true like-for-like comparison, should Tade not be our new penalty taker?

:crazy:

I don't know if he's ever taken one, and maybe he'd surprise us, but I just wouldn't fancy him with from 12 yards with all the time in the world, which is an odd thing to say about a forward.

Can you imagine we are in the Scottish Cup final. Extra time....penalties....sudden death. 9 of our players have taken one and there's only Esson and Tade still to go. You'd want Esson up next, wouldn't you?

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Rooney was a prolific penalty taker.

Which got me thinking......to get a true like-for-like comparison, should Tade not be our new penalty taker?

:crazy:

I don't know if he's ever taken one, and maybe he'd surprise us, but I just wouldn't fancy him with from 12 yards with all the time in the world, which is an odd thing to say about a forward.

Can you imagine we are in the Scottish Cup final. Extra time....penalties....sudden death. 9 of our players have taken one and there's only Esson and Tade still to go. You'd want Esson up next, wouldn't you?

Aye, he has taken one. See for yourself!

Funnily enough, I did wonder about Esson's penalty taking skills once. Sometimes in the warm ups you see taking these one step shots and his accuracy and power on them was surprisingly good. I tell you, he'd probably be a better penalty taker with those attributes than some of the outfield players!

And just how often have you seen MacKay play to come to the conclusion that you would far rather see him playing upfront with Tade than Foran?

Never - but I've seen enough of Foran in that position to convince me ANYONE would be better.

• Disagree 4

Never - but I've seen enough of Foran in that position to convince me ANYONE would be better.

Slightly harsh especially considering how well he's done for us in the past