Extensive Inerview with Tel

BornCaley

Great guy, grand person, full of charisma, personality and the likeability factor - but that article wholly smacks of egotistical self centred overoptimism to me - a wee bit of "I am alright Jack". It worries me that he 1)says he knows where the club is going and 2) that he appears that he is protected by the new contract.

Please, please dot me but this is about the safety and security of Inverness Caledonian Thistle and not Mr Terry Butcher - you have to prove yerself on the pitch, through performances and results not by gushing emotionally in a rather narcissistic fashion.

Perhaps someone should tell Terry that he is becoming Maradonna'ish.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

IHE is on the right track here, IMHO, and I had similar feelings after reading what IHE says.

There is no denying that terry has great spirit and a dogged determination to win and succeed; admirable qualities of persistence and survival.

But my first love are the memories of Caledonian F.C which go back almost 60 years,closely followed by my love of ICT because ICT is the child of the former club. So these feelings will always be my prime motivator and cannot be supplanted by emotions about Terry's life, personal comfort or ambitions. That's not to say that he has no deep feelings for the club but a lifetime's loyalty and devotion can't be won over by what Terry has to offer.

This season he has the right to expect support,though,come what may in repayment for rescuing ICT from the depths of the relegation morass in Div 1.

After that, the Manager is strictly paid to get results and keep the club afloat and we must not forget that his salary is still probably very high indeed and exceeds that of the average supporter by many pounds. --this is not a labour of love, only, for him but a JOB. This is a business to those who put sums of money into it and they expect a return on the investment,regardless of their love for Caley Thistle, otherwise they do have the right to NOT to renewthe Manager's contract--and he knows that!

• Agree 1

As I've said in my post in the Foran thread I really fear for our position come May and the pressure is obviously telling by his snap at me for my substitute comments. He needs to be less bloody minded and concentrate on the safety of the club we love. BTW Johndo, I had a word with Grassa in the club after the game and offered my regards and free advice to Mr. Butcher as an exiled Merkincher :tongueincheek:

He also enquired about your health and well being :finger:

Great guy, grand person, full of charisma, personality and the likeability factor - but that article wholly smacks of egotistical self centred overoptimism to me - a wee bit of "I am alright Jack". It worries me that he 1)says he knows where the club is going and 2) that he appears that he is protected by the new contract.

Sorry, I just can't see how you could interpret the above from the interview. All he is saying is he has a special feeling for the club and the area and he would be very reluctant to move onto another club. As for the contract, yes it does give him an element of financial security but he does not come over as complacent in any way.

• Agree 2

I can understand your dilemna but remember that it is part of my day to day job to analyse behaviours and communication. It is a developed art to read between the lines.

I wholly concur that there is the clear genuine emotion of a person who has clearly taken to his surroundings and has become a honorary Highlander - and from a personality and media perspective thoroughly deserves it. Most of us would love to finally settle in an environment which is close to idyllic and lay down our roots.

Lets for example look at two parts of the article - "We have a vision here at Inverness now, a purpose. We know where we want to go and how we can get there." - Am I missing something ?

?We can look to buy a place now, what with the security of the new contract,? - Does that not, given our current position and level of perfomance, not smack slightly of a degree of overconfidence.

I have always supported TB and he is a daunting figure, which is part of his defence mechanism. I would love him to stay until the end of his contract. He sells us via the media and raises our profile but he has to start putting things together on the park and I really wish to he would assume some of the responsibility for our recent problems and stop projecting it on to other events and anybody except Terry and Mo.

To blame the international break for the St Johnstone performance would have been hilarious if it was a tongue and cheek statement - but it wasnt. And look at his reaction to the Pars draw:

"I've got to question my players temperament and ask do they want to be off the bottom of the league?; "How much do they want to win a game? How much do they want to keep a clean sheet? ;"Today. Not enough. We did 75% of the work to try and get a win but the other 25% we didn't put in."

And who's job is it to motivate the players - To admit to 75% effort is an absolute disgrace.

Butcher stuck with the same starting XI after blasting their previous performance - a 2-0 loss at St Johnstone but is now contemplating changes for next weekend's visit from his former club Motherwell.

"It gives me an option now because I played the same team three times now and I've got the good, the bad and the ugly," he explained.; "We're conceding almost two goals a game and that's not good enough."

That is pure avoidance - What about "I made a mistake" - Terry and Mo should have been fully aware of the good, the bad and the ugly by now - my concern is that their perception does not match the majority of the fans.

• Agree 3

your comment IHE, Quote:- and who's job is it to motivate the players .............?

you can lead the horses to water etc. !!!!!!!!!......don't blame the manager !!!!

Perhaps this could be the follow up to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - "They Shoot Horses Dont they"

"The strength of the group is the strength of the leaders."

~Vince Lombardi~

"It gives me an option now because I played the same team three times now and I've got the good, the bad and the ugly," he explained.; "We're conceding almost two goals a game and that's not good enough."

That is pure avoidance - What about "I made a mistake" - Terry and Mo should have been fully aware of the good, the bad and the ugly by now - my concern is that their perception does not match the majority of the fans.

But Johndo, one performance was very good, the St Johnstone performance came out of the blue and TB obviously thought the team deserved another chance. I can see his logic although I would have made a couple of changes.

Apolgies to all for appearing to repeat myself but the inconsistencies have been clear to be seen all season. Again the "Bottom Line" is that we dont have a recognised "spine" to the team. You simply cant win games week in and week out when you dont have recognised central defenders, no holding midfielder, shuffling the midfield around and makeshift strikers. You can have the odd better performance but the bottom line is that you have to keep clean sheets and/or score goals to climb up any table.

Quite a few punters could see that in the pre season games !!

I read it more as a lifestyle article than a sports article and think it's best taken in that context.

It's a great advert for the area...and who knows, maybe some player might catch a glimpse of it and just think that living/playing up here might not be as bad as they first thought.

I just hope that they don't then visit this forum and base their opinion on the football and it's fans from some of the stuff that's been posted lately!!!

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

Maybe Mee visits him occasionally and wipes his fevered brow since she lives close by doesn't she? Haven't seen her on here for ages.

All we need now is for bigTel to breathlessly announce that he saw the Loch Ness Monster on the way to INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C. park and the phone lines from England will be humming--or maybe it's the emails from ETel today. :tongue: