FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Stadium Frontage

caleyboy

Got to agree with Alex, that Portacabin provides a good service as our club shop and ticket office so unless you have a suggestion as to where the club could move to you'll just have to accept it for what it is.

I agree with the original poster .... Its ugly and unsightly and it would be great if it could be moved or removed

HOWEVER

We do not have the office space within the stadium to locate it inside the building and make it accessible outside of matchdays.

We do not have the money to build a "proper" club shop / ticket office attached to the stadium building itself

the idea of a city centre shop has been touted many times but even though it might catch passing or tourist trade its not really an option as it is too far removed from the stadium for sales of merchandise and for ticketing functions on or before a matchday where the ticket staff may need to access resources inside the stadium.

The only other option might be to move it somewhere else in the stadium environs, such as the outer side of the north stand ... still unsightly, but at least not on the front of the stadium. But that too has its issues and cost ... there's power, light, and equipment infrastructure to consider, none of which can be moved with no cost.

Think we are stuck with it where it is for the forseeable future and we just have to live with it !

If we ever do get to the stage where we can afford to upgrade the north/south stands or do something on the west side then perhaps integrating a club shop and ticket office into the blueprints should be a higher priority than something like a bar or more generic offices .....

Plans were drafted in 2007 for a new frontage over two floors which included a shop, ticket office, function rooms and separate players' entrance. However, the club had other priorities for spending and of course reduced its staff numbers following relegation in 2009.

And what do you suggest we do with the business it serves.

So you think it looks fine then.

It should never have been tagged onto the front of the stadium in the first place. I wonder who was responsible?

It should have been situated in the North car park with electrical services drawn from the North stand. If removal and relocation cost so much surely the outside could be clad with something that looks more in tune with the rest of the building.

It really cheapens the whole look of the place.

It should have been situated in the North car park with electrical services drawn from the North stand.

Was it not already in place before the North Stand was built?

I agree with you that it is unsightly, but it's there and anything we might want to do to it to improve its look or relocate it costs money we dont have so we just have to live with it. We may not have a bank debt, but over the last couple of years we have been operating at a loss so every penny counts and I dont see where pumping money into moving it or tarting it up would actually give us any benefit other than the "look".

If we get to the stage where we can (or need to) spend some money on infrastructure, then this should be high up on the list IMHO.

It should have been situated in the North car park with electrical services drawn from the North stand.

I agree with you that it is unsightly, but it's there and anything we might want to do to it to improve its look or relocate it costs money we dont have so we just have to live with it. We may not have a bank debt, but over the last couple of years we have been operating at a loss so every penny counts and I dont see where pumping money into moving it or tarting it up would actually give us any benefit other than the "look".

If we get to the stage where we can (or need to) spend some money on infrastructure, then this should be high up on the list IMHO.

You're right Scotty, it was there before the stand was built but why was it not moved then?

Unfortunately, money is the reason for everything at ICT - we always don't have enough to do this that or the next thing. If things are so bad that we can't tart up that shed then the business must cut it's cloth. If we can't increase our income we must cut wages and general expenses and that will most probably mean relegation and redundancies and if we can't cope with that then we go bust.

OBTW the only reason we don't have any bank debt is that we don't have any assets to borrow against. The lsat time we were in serious stook new people came in to "restructure". Is it not therefore time a similar exercise took place - new money - new people - a new start! Sorry going way off topic so I'll go and put my head down.

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I also believe there's issue with making it any more permanent than it already is. Having a portable structure keeps things like building regs and certs out of the picture. The moment you start skinning it or making it permanent then you have to jump through all those hoops.

As has been mentioned already, plans were drawn up for stadium expansion, but these never came to fruition. The portakabin was never supposed to be a permanent solution, or even one that has lasted this long, but other events have prevented plans being implemented.

So, in the grand scheme of things, it matters not a jot who's decision it was....it was needed, it was intended to fill a gap until other things were done, events overtook those plans and we are where we are.

I doubt you would get anyone to agree that they like it in any way shape or form....but not liking something doesn't magically make the money appear to fix it.

Incidentally....we're not the only club (SPL or otherwise) with this kind of setup, a few others are stuck with semi permanent "outside" facilities for shops and ticketing services.

You're right Scotty, it was there before the stand was built but why was it not moved then?

Unfortunately, money is the reason for everything at ICT - we always don't have enough to do this that or the next thing. If things are so bad that we can't tart up that shed then the business must cut it's cloth. If we can't increase our income we must cut wages and general expenses and that will most probably mean relegation and redundancies and if we can't cope with that then we go bust.

OBTW the only reason we don't have any bank debt is that we don't have any assets to borrow against. The lsat time we were in serious stook new people came in to "restructure". Is it not therefore time a similar exercise took place - new money - new people - a new start! Sorry going way off topic so I'll go and put my head down.

:lol: I can't believe you think that the club should be allowed to go bust just because we have a portakabin for a shop.....that's really cheered me up!!!

is it just me or do some of us need to get a grip...is the fact that our shop is a portacabin really high on the list of current worries at the club personally i couldnt care less if we were playing on a ploughed field at the moment and would far rather see the club be more concerned with climbing the league

• Agree 1

Whatever happened to Muirfield Mills ?? :tongueincheek: I blame the International break or is caleyboy related to Prince Charles ??

The structure may be unsightly on the outside but it is bright, picturesque, welcoming and full of inner beauty.

Aye but are they not looking at ?250k. That would only cover a year's losses. :frown:

Any chance of a change of meds IHE? :bouncyblue:

Was the site of the cabin not chosen to allow a link from the reception/shop in the stadium?

The access is still there or at least it was the last time I was in, from inside the portacabin it looks like a changing room however upon opening the curtain you can see into the office inside the main stand seperated by a glass door, almost caught me out once when I wanted to try something on :oops:

I agree it looks unsightly but in a business sense, it is in the best location. If it were behind the North Stand and someone was wanting to shop there, then of course they would go. But, how many people see the shop at the front and pop into have a look, and then spend some money. A visitor to the club is much more likely to notice it there. If say a father and son were going to the game, with no intention of going into the shop, then they are more likely to notice it at the front of the stadium than behind the North Stand, and again go in and spend some dosh. It's in the best location for maximising turnover.

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, the club did put that bar into the stadium a while back at the far end of the Main Stand (something I've never actually been in!). Wouldn't it have made more sense to make that a club shop?

Bar is really nice actually imo. Good to go to after the game to let the traffic clear.