FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is anyone else...

Harry Chibber

I think Bill Leckie said something about this in the Sun at the weekend.  He said;

"Call them in, sit them down, pour them a cup of tea.  Then ask them one thing.  Do you want a job like this, or are you desperate for THIS job.  If they cannot look the blazers in the eye and sear that they would walk over broken glass to manage Scotland, the interview should be over then and there......

......[David Taylor] should go after a talented Scottish manager who is with a club and test his desire.  Not like we are going to be short of money."

Leckie pretty much sums up what I think.  Smith is a Rangers man through and through, and thought something like this would happen.  I'm gonna wish him all the best, but think that he can acheive greater things with Scotland rather then Rangers.  Smith has turned around Scotland, and deleivered us to a victory that Rangers will never ever match, a feeling that will never be matched.  But maybe he thinks he has unfinished business with them, the way he was thrown out the door at Rangers was deplorable and maybe he wants yo give a two fingered salute to the fans who hated him.

Guest Arab4Ever

......[David Taylor] should go after a talented Scottish manager who is with a club and test his desire.  Not like we are going to be short of money."

:007:

I'm a fully paid up member of the T.A. and whilst we've always been aware he's a Rangers man, I'd always respected him.

In my eyes what this man has done is a total disgrace. To leave your own country at this stage of a campaign, especially when doing so well, is unforgivable.

Rangers and Walter deserve each other.

I don't think it's the Scotland job he doesn't want - it's the SFA!  They had a clause in his contact that he could be sacked if we failed to qualify for 2008!  Whatever happened to giving someone a chance?

Walter was understandably unhappy with this clause, so he choose the fire over the chip pan.

Fair enough I say - another prime example of the SFA completely destroying Scottish Football!

I've admired Walter even since his scumdee united days..... I can't believe he wants to back there after the way they treated him when he left.

He's got just about the best job in the world right now.... even if there are long gaps between international fixtures, just to go and see as many potentially useful playes as possible, can't be all bad..... he's not under that much pressure right 'cos no one's got high expectations of Scotland achieving anything... even given their present position in their qualifying group....

It really is feckin unbelievable that he wants to walk out it all.... and go back to these bigotted idiots....

I think he'll live to regret it.....

Just seen your post come in as I type Mrs PB... I wasn't aware of that clause in his contract re qualification for 2008... Where did you hear about that? I would have thought finishing 3rd in the group would have been good enough for him to hang on to his job....

Guest Arab4Ever

I've admired Walter even since his scumdee united days..... I can't believe he wants to back there after the way they treated him when he left.

I assume by that comment you mean my wonderful team? :002:

What link did he ever have with Utd?

I'm sure he played and maybe even coached with Utd in the 80's.

I'd be gutted if Smith chooses Rangers, and it looks like he will. F**k him, he's gonna make his bed and when it implodes around him, as it will, he has to lie in it. It ain't the 1990's, with Celtic flirting with going out of business, Murray throwing the megabucks around, players way above the Scottish league standard coming to play here because of the ££££. It's a different league Walter and one you will be able to do sweet FA in with this Rangers squad. 3/4 years turnaround perhaps but would he get that amount of time? Nae Chance!

I assume by that comment you mean my wonderful team? :002:

What link did he ever have with Utd?

Jeezus.... Am I that old...? He played for them in the late sixties/early seventies, and was assistant manager to Jim McLean before Souness took him to Ibrox....

"I was asked if I wanted to enter into discussions about a new contract. I said I was happy with the situation the way it was, but that did not stop them from offering me one. If they had chosen to offer me an extended contract and I had signed it then I would not be leaving now. It's as simple as that. If I had signed an extension then I couldn't have walked out. In my eyes, that would have been wrong."

what bull**** ... Walter, they asked you if you wanted to discuss an extended contract, you said "no its alright", and are now blaming them for your answer ... I hope your next **** is a hedgehog you turncoat, traitorous barsteward. You did good work when you were in the job, but your legacy will be that of turning your back on your country. Dont be surprised when all but the most 'loyal' Rangers fans do the same to you.

Smith has really gone down in my estimation after walking away from the Scotland job.  With the great work that he did to get Scotland top of the group he would never have got sacked in 2008, so he is illadvised to use this as a lame excuse for thaking the 'Gers job - shame on him.

Of course no one is happy about what has happened, but David Taylor and his cronies at the SFA must take some responsibility for the fact Walter obviously wasn't happy with the terms and conditions of his employment...

Walter should also be given some credit for leaving the Scotland side with a wee bit of a belief in themselves.... It won't take Tommy Burns long to feck it all up....

I've always had a lot of respect for the guy and would like to believe he felt let down by the SFA, but somehow can't help feeling that he has sold out his country for his 30 pieces of silver.

Managing yer country must surely be the pinnacle of your career. I just can't understand how he could walk away from what he's achieved. He had the adoration of a whole nation and he's thrown it back in our faces.

It is said that love and hate are opposite sides of the same coin, well Smith has just flipped his coin over  :008:

How in the world can Taylor and or the SFA be blamed for expecting Smith to live up to the letter of his contract?

Did he say to the SFA when he signed it that his understanding was that in the event of a better offer that suited him (better) coming along he felt that he would have the right to ditch the SFA and his country if he could think up a sanctimonious and devious excuse enough.

Anhd the thought of his opining that he thought that the young Hibs players should  (nowadays) be more into respecting their contracts with the Hibs "a bit more" is completely laughable.

Who ever heard of a contract being a bit of anything--you either meet the terms and honour them or you don't--there is no such thing as choosing to honour a bit of what you  want and the expect the other party to smile and thank you for not honouring the other bits.

Bottom line is that his word is not worth the paper it was written on. Unless it is written in blue ink of course...... :011: :020: