FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Nick Ross

tm4tj

I've said it before and a couple of times yesterday it was proven correct with a weak cross and shot, but Nick does need a bit more muscle. However, and it's a big however, he is now legendary and his contribution when he came on yesterday was immeasurable, his finest 40 minutes in an ICT shirt.

Not only did he score the goal through tenacity that kept us in the game, but his control and link play with Billy was tremendous giving us that vital bit of composure required and the ability to hold play up for a few seconds when down to nine men. He was instrumental in gaining us valuable time and even though two men short, we still matched Hearts for the whole of extra time.

His balls must be huge. He stood up to hit wallop that penalty home, considering his last one was a tad meek, but boy did he give it some, and some more. I could not be happier for the guy and he thoroughly deserves his moment.

Onwards and upwards Nick Ross. :notworthy::smile::ictscarf:

• Agree 14

Whilst agreeing that he gave a tremendous performance when he came on yesterday, he wasn't in the starting line up and I think will find it hard to force his way back in.  For me I felt Tansey showed the extra drive and determination and willingness to shoot that is often lacking in Ross's game.  There's an option for playing him wide but both Doran and Watkins offer more in pace and ability to take players on.

I think the competition can do nothing but good for Nick's game and will force him to show the extra forcefulness needed if he wants to be a regular feature in the starting XI. 

• Agree 1

A wee bit of credit to Yogi too !!!!

Here we are, Tansey scores and Hearts look like they may start to fall to pieces if we can get another. We look good.

12 minutes later and its all gone pear-shaped !!! Gary Warren gets a second booking for a tackle that Marley Watkins actually put in. Its doubtful if it was even a yellow (for Watkins) but John Cheaton (oops Beaton) decides its serious enough for a second yellow for Warren (ludicrous decision). Hamill equalises from the resultant free kick courtesy of a wicked deflection. 2 minutes later Hamill hits a very sweet strike to make it 2-1 and try as we might we cant get back into it.

A couple of minutes from 'the end' Yogi throws the dice and brings on Nick but loses Meekings to a very soft red. He is clearly frustrated and may have tripped the player up but no way it was serious foul play or a straight red card - a yellow at best - and I would have said that even if it was a Hearts player doing the fouling. (yet another ludicrous decision). So ICT down to 9 men, into injury time and with the ref clearly having a howler (I dont think he was biased just crap!!!). Billy had a chance before the end but was scythed down (no card ref?) but up pops Nick to get us back into it. I cant remember what game it was, but I think Nick had a similar impact before? (snatching a win or a draw at the death)

So credit to Nick for getting the goal. Credit to Yogi for the 'inspired substitution', and credit to each and every one of the players for holding out for another 30 minutes against the Hearts 11 and the officials and for then winning it on penalties.

A real team effort with everyone a star !

• Agree 2

Great to see a local boy who has come through our youth programme score the winner in such an important game. I hope he has a good future in the game. Ross, Polworth, Christie and in previous years Munro & Fraser ....... not a bad return for so little investment.

• Agree 3

Where can I buy Caley stickers and banners? I need them for the final and preferably also for Celtic away. Any sites or phone numbers ect. to people who I can get these things from will help a lot. Thanks. (also if anyone has any designs they would like to see on stickers/banners please show me them) 

Where can I buy Caley stickers and banners? I need them for the final and preferably also for Celtic away. Any sites or phone numbers ect. to people who I can get these things from will help a lot. Thanks. (also if anyone has any designs they would like to see on stickers/banners please show me them)

Your best bet would be the club shop at the stadium I guess, just pop in if you're local or give them a ring on 01463 222880 to ask what they have.

If I'm honest I tend to think Nick is a bit lightweight and rarely influences any game that I've seen...HOWEVER yesterday he was a bit special, and I would say (to murder a famous phrase from Churchill)  'if he were to play for a 1000hours, fans would still say, this was his finest hour'

• Agree 1

IMO, what we saw with Nick yesterday was an already decent player with a bit more than we've seen already....and I don't think it's a coincidence that we're seeing that after he (and others) have had a bit of time working with Latapy.  Also interesting to note in Yogi's post match interview that the decision to throw Nick on at the end came about as a result of Latapy being in his ear telling him that he (Nick) was the guy who could get the goal we needed.

What was also clear to me is that Yogi learned something from the Killie game.  We played some nice football in that game, but lacked the physical presence to drive through the final third, or control the midfield enough to prevent them backing off and/or battling through us in the opposite direction.  In his (Yogi's) defence he was on to a potential loser no matter what he did at Killie...change a winning team and it doesn't work, then you get slated...don't change it, leave (previously) key players on the bench and it doesn't work, they you get slated.

The Killie result, aside from putting a rocket up the butt of the players, probably made it a little easier for Yogi to change things around...even though it must have been tough to tell guys like Carl & Nick that they would be on the bench.

I don't buy into the argument or logic that Nick Ross (or anyone else) will struggle to hold down a spot in the starting XI from here on.  Unlike his predecessor, Yogi is showing that he's willing to look ahead to games and make squad decisions based on the opposition and circumstances.  He's getting to know and understand the players and with an almost fully fit squad he's totally in control of who he puts out and how he sets things up.  I think the last thing he will do is settle in to any kind of pre-determined XI and, as backwards as it sounds, I think one or two changes in each game will be what brings a bit more (positive) consistency to results....as well as making sure we've got a squad who are all getting a bit of match time and are ready to step in if/when needed.

• Agree 1

He's made over 100 appearances already at a young age so, for me, was already well on his way to 'ICT legend' status!

Agree that a bit of 'bulking up' would be beneficial for him although that's maybe an indictment of modern football where all the players have to be athletes as well as footballers! I suppose the game evolves and changes. People in general have become bigger! Full backs have to be supremely fit nowadays to effectively attack and then track-back.

A skillful midfield ball-player in his day, Jimmy Johnstone, for example, was so light-weight in physique he could be blown over, yet even he would find it hard to flourish in our current game without developing physically.

Just need to look at Andy Murray in tennis. He's moved onto his current level after realising that he needed a brutal fitness regime to improve his strength and conditioning.

His tenacity and control at the vital moment was outstanding.

Calm and cool did it for me. In that situation he could have been forgiven for losing control and muffed it.

That was  simply terrific piece of skill.

Would have been easy to panic or snatch when first shot was blocked, but he kept a calm head. How long did it take for the ball to cross the line! I have never felt time slow like that ever!

Total legend for what he did and the more you watch, the more impressive it really was from his first touch to staying on his feet then bagging the rebound. See him in the gym quite alot so he does at least get stuck into the weights but couldn't tell you if that's a new thing as i have only been there for 6 months.