FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Swearing at Footie Matches

Mrs Pauliebee

Something happened at the Killie game that has really quite rattled me.  :008: :008: :008:

One of the more "controversial" members of the old board, was asked to refrain from using the word "Homo"

from a lady sitting in front, as there were kids around.

Ermmmmm - it's a football match not the Opera love!  You'll hear much worse from the dug-out!

I understand that parents want to protect their kids, but surely they hear much worse in the playground?

Indeed, they probably say much worse in the playground themselves!

If you don't want to hear "such language" move the **** away from boys that chant at the back.

In a rather glorious moment, her own son stood up 10 minutes after and shouted "FCUK OFF" to the Killie

Main Stand - was he reprimanded - off course not!

Charlie is calling for fans to get behind the team and make some noise, it's **** hard to encourage people to do that when the friggin Sweetie Wrapper brigade stick their oars in!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Many years ago my dad took me to the Scotland v England international at Hampden. We could have got standing room but he went for the expensive North stand seats - 30 shillings - a fortune at the time. However the whole game was ruined by the constant foul mouthed abuse (and I mean the whole 90 minutes) from this one guy in the row in front. I've never forgotten that.

Nowadays I'm more concerned with swearing in the Social Club. I had been in the habit of going in there for my tea on a Monday night but really I've got so fed up with having to listen to this foul mouthed old Weegie geezer who parks himself at the corner of the bar and Effs incessantly. It's mindnumbing, as if he needed the alternate Eff word to give him time to think up his next normal one.

(Shame because Gordon's gammon steaks are excellent.. if somewhat demanding on the waistline.)

Nothing wrong with swearing at a game ...... within reason.

Despite the best efforts of many to price the game out of the market for all but the privileged few, football is still the game of the masses, a place where the working man (or woman) should be able to enjoy themselves, relieve some of their own stresses and generally have a good time even if the odd swearie word creeps out.

I can understand parents not wanting young kids to be subjected to some of the verbage at a game, especially if it is offensive. However, little 'Johnny' has probably heard and used worse than that at school on a daily basis - as suggested by the later shout from the kid's own lips !!!

If you are at a home game, you can make an effort to remove yourself from foul language by opting to go to somewhere like a family stand where swearing could and should be frowned upon but you will never get away from it completely. However, I can appreciate that this is more difficult at an away game. Although,  if the commentators got it right about this game, there were plenty of alternative locations in the away area that someone could have moved to if certain chants offended them.

Onto the chant itself - Maybe I am being to "PC" but personally I would have found the 'Homo' chant to be as offensive as using a racial or religious slur as it has nothing to do with football .... call the player a b*****d if you want, but dont add a potentially inflammatory adjective to the front .....

While accepting my shortcomings in several area's i like to think i'm fairly responsble in the parental stakes,indeed ,i view days out at the footy as part of my sons further education.For those of you who know big Arnie, he has been fairly instrumental in the furthering of my lads widening vocabulary and learning how the same word can be a verb,noun or adjective depending on its context and use in a sentance. I also try to instill  in him a "time and place" and "lines which are not crossed" thinking as he will constantly come across  worse in life,but needs to know there are rules,seems to work as a raised eyebrow is usually enough to bring him back in line if he gets a bit overexcited.

I would suggest the lady in question has led a fairly sheltered football supporting experiance if she is offended by the ICT support

Blackieforce has a good point ..... and it reminds me of a match back in the early days when Alex Caldwell was screaming at the players and let loose with a particularly colourful set of phrases only to realise that the main stand was absolutely silent (no change there then). He turned round, realised everyone had heard this latest outburst and went a particularly fetching shade of crimson .....  :015: :015: :015: (having said that, his comments were what you might call "socially acceptable" swears as opposed to racist, religious or lifestyle comments).

Swearing (from which I exclude the use of the prefix "homo" - what does it imply anyway - homo sapiens? homo erectus? homosexual?) at football matches can be a very emotive subject for those with kids.

Personally I think that anyone who swears in an environment where children are present is guilty of social pig-ignorance. There really is no need for it. Is it really that difficult for people to express their emotions without resorting to the use of f's and c's?

Don't get me wrong - I swear quite fluently myself, but only in appropriate company.

And yes, I know they hear much worse in the playground. But generally speaking adults avoid swearing in front of kids, and kids know it is wrong to swear in front of adults.

Until they hear adults at football matches swearing at the top of their voices!

Scotty is a feckin homo.  :015: :015: :015: :015: :015:

My wife would confirm the scurrilous and completely inaccurate nature of that statement :004: ...... and besides, I am not the one with the preponderance for bearing my erse in public  :014:

It's a present participle used in the form of an adjective.

And a past participle if it ends in "ed"

For example : "CC reckoned Ian Black was completely f*cked when he hooked him with 20 mins remaining during the recent Celtic cup tie..."

Not everyone agreed with that assessment, however.....

Some would argue that when your at a match then you are in "appropriate company".

Football grounds used to be one of the few areas people could go on a Saturday to get away from all the overly PC bull they have to put up with for the other 6 days of the week.  It was a release, a chance to let off some steam without having to look over your shoulder or worry about upsetting the person next to you.

As for the kids, if more parents took the approach that Heilandee does then kids would be better prepared for the "Big Bad World" - Many of societies problems today can, IMO, be traced back to parents trying to hide their kids away from the "nastier" things in life instead of educating them and teaching them how to deal with it.

As a kid, I knew that if my parents swore in public that it was wrong (it was only acceptable for adults) and I wasn't to repeat it.  I remember once, after I swore on the bus, telling my mother that I was now in double figures (age wise) - I got no argument on the bus, but I was met with "double figures" of the belt when I got home  :015: