FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Culloden Battlefield 16 april

Feb82000

"OK CB.  So you're biased against drunks of any persuasion - Scots Austro; Austro - French; - Italo - Anything...................

Or maybe just any sort of drunk?  TBH - who gives a f**k as long as the bledddy English don't prevail!

As a well known besotted scottish sott, I don' care who won the soi-disant 'battle of culloden' as long as I didn lose an the winners buy the drinks, wgaf.

16th April is ours to celebrate an f*ck the rest.  If there's any ghosts there, they're ours an we should be the ones celebrating a glorious loss - just like tonight in Bari!

PS. If Fritz can find fault wi' my English I'll do a thousand lines."

My God.  Did I really write that?  Just shows what an effect two bottles of red can have on the memory.

TBH, I don't care a **** for history, whether it was Scotland versus England or Pape against Proddy or even us against them.  All I really want is the right to choose for Scotland without any interference from our neighbours in the South or even the crowd over the Manche.

I'm fed up of voting only to find out that 'British' politicians have robbed us yet again of the right to decide our own destiny like Harold Bloody Wilson who rigged things so that even the dead had a vote against us.  Aye, and sometimes it's even wirsells who rob us - just watch what Gordie Broon gets up tae.

Now, I admit that the way I feel has nothin to do wi 'thinkin clearly and logically' But ma hert says feck them all.

And to return to the original theme, F82K, feck yer TV company if they think they can keep us away from Culloden.

Teacher: “Good morning children, today is Thursday, so we’re going to have a general knowledge quiz. The pupil who gets the answer right can have Friday and Monday off and not come back to school until Tuesday.”

Wee Jocky (a typical Glasgow nyaff) thinks, “Ya dancer! Ah’m puredead brilliant at ma general knowledge stuff. This is gonny be a dawdle, come oan the noo ya radge, a lang weekend fir me.”

Teacher: “Right class, who can tell me who said, ‘Don’t ask what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country?’

Wee Jocky shoots up his hand, waving furiously in the air.

Teacher looking round picks Jeremy at the front. “Yes Jeremy?”

Jeremy (in a very English accent): “Yes miss, the answer is J F Kennedy, inauguration speech 1960.”

Teacher: “Very good Jeremy. You may stay off Friday and Monday and we will see you back in class on Tuesday.”

The next Thursday comes round and wee Jocky is even more determined.

Tacher: “Who said, ‘We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them in the air, we will fight them at sea. But we will never surrender’?”

Wee Jocky’s hand shoots up, arm stiff as a board, shouting “I know. I know. Me Miss, me Miss.”

Teacher looking round and picks Timothy, sitting at the front: “Yes Timothy?”

Timothy (in a very, very posh English accent): “Yes Miss. The answer is Winston Churchill, 1941 Battle of Britain speech.”

Teacher: “Very good Timothy, you may stay off Friday and Monday and come back to class on Tuesday.”

The following Thursday comes round and wee Jocky is hyper. He’s been studying encyclopaedias all week and he’s ready for anything that comes. He’s coiled in his wee chair, slavers dripping in anticipation.

Teacher: “Who said ‘ One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind?”

Wee Jocky’s arm shoots straight in the air, he’s standing on his seat, jumping up and down screaming, “Me Miss. Me Miss. I know. I know. Me Miss. Me Miss. Meeeee.”

Teacher looking round picks Rupert, sitting at the front. “Yes Rupert?”

Rupert (in a frightfully, frightfully, ever so plumy English accent): “Yes Miss, that was Neil Armstrong, 1969, the first moon landing.”

Teacher: “Very good Rupert. You may stay off Friday and Monday and come back into class on Tuesday.”

Wee Jocky loses the plot altogether, tips his desk over and throws his wee chair at the wall. He starts screaming, “Where the f**k did all these English b*st*rds come from?”

Teacher looking round the class: “Who said that?”

Wee Jocky, grabs his coat and bag and heads for the door,

“Bonnie Prince Charlie, Culloden, 1746. See yez on Tuesday!”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weestie what's the Harold Wilson connection?

CB,  don't want to give a history lesson as I can't 100% rely on my memory these days.  It's an age thing......

During Harlod Wilson's reign we had a refendum asking us to vote yes or no to basically "Do we want independence or not?".  If you voted 'yes' that counted as a yes vote.  If you voted 'no' that counted as a no vote.  BUT, if you didn't vote at all that also counted as a 'no' vote thereby permitting all the deceased who still had the right to vote the opportunity, whether they wanted it or not, to vote 'NO'.

As I recall the vote was very close if you counted the actual votes cast but not if you counted the non-voting public.

There was a great fuss at the time about daylight legislative robbery by the English barstewards ( at the risk of upsetting the anti-racist brigade).

Perhaps with your links to press archives you will be able to verify or otherwise my assertion.

Harlod Wilson..?

I remember him well, but I think it was the Callaghan labour government that granted Scotland that referendum in 1979.....

I agree it was the dead, and some of the living dead that thwarted that attempt to gain independence....  :018:

The Callaghan Labour government passed the Scotland Act in 1978. The act required a post legislative referendum to be ratified. Although 51.6% of voters voted in favour, because the overall turnout was only 63% the portion of eligible voters who voted yes was only 32.9% of the entire electorate (living or dead !!) and the controversial 40% amendment (thanks George Cunningham) came into play.

Callaghan vowed to repeal the 1978 act but never got round to it as the Labour Govt lost a vote of confidence a short time later so it was Maggie Thatcher's govt that struck the act down in July 1979

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_Act_1978

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_referendum,_1979

Thanks for putting me right boys.  As I said my memory ain't what it used to be and even then I found it difficult to tell the difference between Wilson and Callaghan when it came to policies or politics.

:023:

I'm a little bit off the pace here because I'm just back from a few days' holiday (during which time I understand it's been announced that Inverness is to have an Apprentice Boys' march inflicted upon it!) but I thought this was perhaps what Weesite was referring to. Harold Wilson resigned in 1976 and was succeeded by Jim Callghan during whose premiership the devolution referendum etc did indeed take place.

I can't find any info on an Apprentice Boys march coming to Sneck - Can someone enlighten me. Only yesterday I mentioned on another thread that Inverness, as a multicultural city was mercifully free of racial & sectarian problems...

These bigotted idiots with their flute bands are just about the last thing we need here - and I speak as a proddy, born and raised in the west of Scotland -

Orange walks are a cancer - I just hope there will be massive protests to anyone in authority who has any say in this matter...

Say No to Bigottry In Inverness....  :022:

The news broke yesterday afternoon. It has been covered on radio and on the front pages of today's Courier and P and J. Apparently tghe march is to "celebrate" the formation of a new Chapter of Intolerance (aka local branch of the Apprentice Boys of Derry) in Inverness. The route is from the Green Drive hall to.... and this is no windup.... THE PORTLAND CLUB!

Thanks for that info, Charles.... I did pick up a Courier this morning....

As mentioned I was brought up in an atmosphere of religious bigotry, hatred & intolerance. It is a blight on west central Scotland,  and it is just about the last thing I would want to see coming here.

It's one thing for that bunch of Invernesian football supporters who would rather support Rangers than ITC, but do they have to bring their bigoted mates from Glasgow & Belfast up here?

I would be interested to hear what others think about this....  :024: 

It isnt the first time we've had the marching bands parading around Inverness, but most Invernessians probably dont realise the sectarian undertones to the marchers.

We were always coccooned from the central belt religious friction in the north with most heelanders oblivious to the 'goings on' the marchers were looked upon with faint amusment, personally i dont see the point in the march up here, however with the influx of people from Glasgow to sneck it may have more support than ever before.

I remember the first time "The Lodge" attempted to impose itself on the good people of Inverness in 1976. Very few locals, including myself, had ever seen one of these things and it seemed to unravel itself along Academy Street in a number of phases.

First you heard the band. Then you smelled the drink. Then these strange people with umbrellas, rather comical orange upper body garments and bowler hats pranced by with this strange gait which made you wonder if they'd all done a great big whoopsie in their trousers. Then you noticed that there were ministers and women among them. The most conspicuous feature of the women was that they looked twice as hard as the men - Hatchet Faced didn't begin to describe it, despite there being some pretty rough looking blokes there too. And ministers... of that Christian "love thy neighbour" persuasion? Do these people really preach the Love of God on a Sunday?

Past they went, the smell of drink lingered a little longer and that was it. On they marched - bigotry on the hoof. The good people of Inverness looked at each other as if there had been a visitation from another planet - to some extent there had - and then got on with their lives.

There was the inevitable correspondence in the local press - all of it strongly negative with the possibly predictable exception of someone of the Free Presbyterian persuasion. And that was it for about ten years when they tried again - even more abortively.

I think that was the last bit of bile inflicted on Inverness until tomorrow's "occurrence" which, if society as a whole was as intolerant as these people are, would have been instantly banned.

So what can we expect tomorrow? Thundering indifference I hope. I understand this is being organised by a local taxi driver Stewart MacColl. I must find out which company he works for and either make sure I don't get this driver or, to make life simpler, not use this company at all. I hope other decent local citizens will do the same. If this individual wants to impose this kind of bile on a respectable non sectarian community, he doesn't deserve to make a living out of that community.

One further thought. This walk is due to end at The Portland Club which of course is a sort of "home" to Rangers supporters in Inverness. Coincidence? I actually do believe that David Murray genuinely wants to rid Rangers of their sectarian baggage (without the club losing any money as a result I'm sure) and I applaud his efforts in that direction. But what we are seeing here is just another piece of evidence that, irrespective of how far you go away from bigotry's West Central heartland, extreme sectarianism and a faction of the Rangers support are inextricably linked and will not easily be parted.

One thing we can almost certainly rely on. Given the season Rangers have had, I'm sure they'll all once again be marching as if they've done that jumbo whoopsie in their pants!

Good description of that gait, Charles....  :014:

Unfortunately I'll be on the golf course when this display of wanton bigotry & hatred is underway....

If anyone sees them in action - try crossing the road, by going in between them - They love people doing that - Go on - I dare you....!!   :017:

Only thing I know about the Battle of Culloden is that whilst it was being fought, my lot had fecked off down to steal the English Sheep...and thats good enough for me  :001:

Are you sure they were "stealing" the sheep  :004:

Interestin' thread though...

I guess if they {the ferking Establishment} can divide us, we'll be knackered...

Canada Bob.