• Gary Locke
    • Scott Brown
    • Kevin Thompson
    • Ian McCall
    • Garry Warren
    • Ross Tokely
    • Jim McIntyre
    • Someone else

I like the idea of a manager with contacts and a history of no nonsense in his playing career. We are severely lacking in gritty players and hopefully Dunc can be transformative for those softies we have on the books and bring out a new side to their game.  We are in a dogfight at the bottom, make no mistake.

It’s a gamble of an appointment, a big gamble, but one I’m quite positive about. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

The decision of the people (SG, RM & GB I understand) has been made, and having sifted through the names applied via emailed, agents or via pals picked Duncan Ferguson to manager the team.

I don’t know what the criteria and expectations these 3 people had to come up with DF, however I have to put aside my own thoughts and reservations for now and give the new manager a clean slate to see what he can do in what happens on the park, ie results, style and performances. 
He is stepping into a team that is in a difficult, (but not yet perilous) position. He has to hit the ground running and get results quickly as the fans are no mood to see us detached and anchored at the bottom of the league too long. 
So, I will wish the new manager does well and is a success. 
I believe however whoever he brings in (I assume he will), as his No 1, needs to know his stuff. DF is and will be the showface on the telly, but it’s the footballing side that needs to work. I see nothing from DF post playing days to convince me we’ve got a new ‘Pep’. 

I think being away from family and home is difficult for anyone and Jan and Feb will be long nights to mull over things, so fingers crossed here.

So in closing, Good luck ‘big Duncan’ , we need a sprinkle of magic dust! 

I look for the 3 people that made this decision to be fully accountable to take the plaudits or criticism in May next year.

bc

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Every coach has there ups and downs, and some of the best coaches had some failures in the past, even Sir Alex, so let's hope this is the start of DFs rise up the coaching ladder, and he brings success to ICT this season, and success this season, for me, would be staying in this league first and foremost. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Wow, never saw this appointment coming. Should at least drum up interest and revenue. Football wise we’ll have to wait and see. But certainly the most interesting and left field appointment since Terry Butcher. Exciting times.

• Agree 3
  • Thoughtful 1

You wonder at the economics of this whole situation. What did it cost to get rid of Dodds and Wilson? How much are we paying Duncan Ferguson, and his assistant when he's announced? I would imagine that it might be a tidy sum. So, if all this expenditure that ICT have found over the last few days had been spent on new quality players over the summer, we might not be in this mess now. Just a thought.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

Not the appointment I was contemplating but I guess we'll need to buckle up and brace ourselves for the ride. 

Irrespective of the calibre of the candidate you really have to question the wisdom of a 3 year contract after the Dodds contract fiasco. The battery farm money tree must be in full bloom this week....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Last season Dundee Utd fans were wanting Big Dunc as manager and everybody laughed at them for being unrealistic and getting ideas above their station. And now we have landed him. This aspect of it makes me smile and has been mentioned already to my Utd supporting friends and colleagues. 😀

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

If 

11 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Last season Dundee Utd fans were wanting Big Dunc as manager and everybody laughed at them for being unrealistic and getting ideas above their station. And now we have landed him. This aspect of it makes me smile and has been mentioned already to my Utd supporting friends and colleagues. 😀

If he does well, Dundee United or some other team may come calling, and if he left, it would be a nice compensation package. It does feel like a bit of an unreal scenario landing him, but it will certainly raise the ICT brand in the press and media, and may put some more bums on seats.

• Agree 1

Did the Goodison Park tour a few years back. In the dressing room the guy pointed to an upright walk in ice therapy unit and confirmed it had been used by big Duncan Ferguson ... exclusively .. no one else went near or else .. he'll wake the club up one way or the other that's for sure .. maybe he could start by locking Scot Gardiner in one of those units. 

• Well Said 1
  • Funny 2

Very pleased and excited with this appointment !!!!.I will now renew my Season Ticket.I wonder how many of those who disagree with " Big Duncs " appointment would be jumping with joy if Scott Brown or Darren O'Dea  (who are probably less qualified than Dunc?) had been given the nod. So come on Caley Jags "Up and at Em". Welcome aboard "Big Dunc"

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Having slept on last night’s rumour and reacted this morning by predicting it will end in tears, I’ve had time to reflect.

It is a bold appointment, and has a lot of risk about it.

However, he will stand up to the CEO and Board, which must be a positive.

He was highly rated as a coach at Everton and nearly went to Real Madrid in a coaching role, so he clearly has strengths.

Forest Green was a disaster for him but probably would have been for whoever had the job.

He’s here now, so he has my support. During the next few weeks I hope he earns my continued support.

As I said after Saturday’s game, there is hope!

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, TheCaleyOne said:

I know we have to give him a chance and I will but 3 years! How much will this be costing and if we have the money why didn't we spend some of it on players!

Really a smart move by SG to again further embed him in the undergrowth and roots of the club. Big Dunc is up there as was poor old DD (who’se that?), as the face of the club and the results. As long as big dunc exists then SG is secure in his tower!!

My hats off for another deft piece of manoeuvring by the dark prince!!

Bc

• tm4tj changed the title to Duncan Ferguson & Who was in the running
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic