FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dennis Wyness

Bronson

Have just watched the highlights of the celtic game and saw that wyness had a bad miss. He really is a shadow of the player he once was. Am i correct in saying that he hasn't scored a league goal since February?

People are shouting for Niculae to be dropped and for MacDoanld to be given a chance, but yet Wyness appears to escape critisism. His first spell with us was very poor until such time as pele put him up for sale, then he exploded into life. Is he just a player with no confidence or has he had his chance at this level?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't think he's been given enough time on the park for us to be making any judgment at this stage.  He was out for a good while with the shoulder injury and has had sporadic starts when he was available.

When he came on against Hibs you could see he brought something different to the front line.  I often wonder if he is an out and out striker though as he seems to make more impact when he gets the opportunity to run at defenders.  He may benefit more from being played as part of, or just in front of the midfield.

Mr Bronson - long time no see on here - have you been away at spelling classes.

Unfortunately I have to agree. I don't like critisising an ICT legend like Denzil, but he has never really proven himself as a consistent scorer in the SPL, he didn't manage at Tynecastle and he hasn't managed it back in Inverness. You'll notice he always comes good in the cup games against the lower league sides where the shuffle still seems to work its magic but the SPL defenders are wise to these things. He did however have a remarkable scoring run along with Dargo at one point the other year which he can hopefully recreate soon. Nothing would make me happier than seeing him dancing past a couple of defenders then curling the ball delicately into the far corner. He was a joy to behold when he was on top of the heap and hopefully he'll manage it again soon. In fact, any of the feckers scoring any would make me happier right now.

I said a few weeks ago that, despite playing crap, Dennis seemed to be above criticism.

To be honest, I don't think he's done anything to merit praise since he came back here. Aye, he had a wee purple patch, when him and Dargo were banging them in, but even during that period, I didn't think he was playing particularly well.

I don't understand why everyone raves on about him, when quite clearly he's not producing the goods....and hasn't been for ages.

He does seem to still be a very creative outlet up front for us but he does need to bring in some goals. I wonder if the formation would be rejigged to perhaps have him playing a more "advanced midfield" role?

Guest WynessLegend

Denzil and Marius are already linking together well ..... and I hope Brewster pairs them up front for the Hearts game.

Denzil was injured for much of the "lean spell" mentioned in this thread.

He remains one of our most skillful and creative players.

Makes me laugh when a thread here questions whether someone is "above criticism" as this Board seems designed to allow a small band of alleged supporters criticise EVERYONE associated with ICT.

Lets get behind the Team, the Manager and all the players.

Surprise - Surprise - but Denzil has impressed me so far this season BUT he is not being played as an out and out stiker. Denzil is a predator; a penalty box goalscorer. So far this season he has taken on the "worker" role, a bit Bayne-esque - constantly making runs and movement but for some strange tactical reason he is practically playing close to Niculae or on the same line. When he came on against Hibs he played yards in front of Brew and constantly looking to get beyond defenders, sniffing for an opportunity. i would again say that we appear to have changed our system and it aint suiting Denzil. Deano would be lost if he had to play in the withdrawn role.

The problem on here at the moment is that we are all worried and frustrated - we are seeking reasons fer what is going on and scapegoats are a-plenty.

Guest TinCanFan

Every time I see Wyness he just doesn't want to get involved and when he does it usually ends badly.  I still don't understand why some people think he's great while last season even Rory McAllister scored more goals and he got loads of stick.

I agree that Dennis does not get enough goals in the SPL.

But Dennis' purple patch was not 'the other year', but was only last winter.

Just as ICT were looking like a well-oiled machine and cert for top six, Denzil did his shoulder in the first minute against Celtic (Rory's only ever good game remember) and Dargo did his shortly afterwards.

Instead of looking at how many goals Wyness scored, look at his value as a link man.

As I remember it, CC wasn't picking Wyness towards the end of 2006. Then we had an appalling 3-1 defeat away at Tannadice. Next week Dennis was back and we lost 3-4 at home to Killie with everybody saying how well we played.

Following that, how about this for championship form:

23.12.06 Dunfermline ICT 0-0 Wyness started

27.12.2006 Inverness CT Rangers 2 - 1 Wyness started

30.12.2006 Falkirk Inverness CT 3 - 1 Wyness started but the whole team was gash after beating Rangers

01.01.2007 Inverness CT St. Mirren 2 - 1 Wyness scored

06.01.2007 Stirling Albion Inverness CT 1 - 6 Wyness scored

13.01.2007 Aberdeen Inverness CT 1 - 1 Wyness started

21.01.2007 Inverness CT Hibernian 3 - 0 Wyness started

28.01.2007 Inverness CT Celtic 1 - 2 Wyness injured in first minute & substituted.

Wyness out for rest of season. ICT win only 3 more league matches ALL SEASON.

You'll notice he always comes good in the cup games against the lower league sides where the shuffle still seems to work its magic but the SPL defenders are wise to these things.

Don't agree with that at all. I've seen him skin more than his fair share of SPL defenders, he's had some of his best games against the bigger clubs. He's only just come back from a long term injury, give him a chance! It's always paid dividends when we've been patient with him in the past.

Guest Glen Mhor

He needs a regular extended start with the team and teaming up with Niculae could be a provider and form the Dargo/Denzil type combination that could trouble defences and most importantly give us some goals and points.

He just needs a run of games and more importantly an injury-free run. 

I think that if Brewster picks himself to play along with Denzil and Niculae we will see Denzil shine again.  Both he and Niculae could play deeper and break forward using lay offs from Brewster.  It may mean scarificing a midfield player like Barry or playing three at the back.

Never believe the radio commentators  :rolleyes02:

Marius played well today and put in a fair shift of work including playing at right back at one point chasing back 40 yards with the Hearts winger

The whole team worked hard especially in the second half

Crusher oldest son...............Denzil could not miss............and I mean could not miss, the ball dropped onto the goal line after a Bazza volley and he actually scored, woooooohoooo

Don't get me wrong, I think Denzil is a quality player, he just needs to work as hard as Cowie or Bayne and then we will have some player.  I have seen Denzil miss from less, but it waqs a header.

IHE, Marius did work hard today, lots of effort and if effort won matches then we were coasting.

Brewsters goal apart, for the few seconds he was on was sheer class, thats what wins games :clapping03:

Even I could have scored the one that Denzil did today - that's taking nothing away from his game though as I think he was more effective than Niculae for much of the first half.  I think the frustration is starting to take it's toll on Niculae and he really needs to get on the (SPL) score sheet soon or Brewster :023: will be unable to justify starting him.

Niculae was fantastic today but came nowhere near scoring!! By this I mean that he created loads of fantastic chances from all over the place, particularly edges of the box, for Dennis to squander!! 2 or 3 inch perfect passes/crosses that Dennis should have scored and that I am confident Niculae would have scored if the roles were reversed.

I think Dennis should be dropped. Not fighting hard enough and a lack of confidence IMO. Niculae, on the other hand, is worth playing even if he rarely scores. If he creates as many chances for somebody who can then convert them then he's worth his place.

Would have liked to see Craig and Niculae together.