FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dennis Wyness

TomCaleyJag

In your opinion, is Dennis Wyness still good enough to be an SPL player?  

214 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

After so many people (for some reason) have been questioning Dennis' ability to play at this level, I've decided to start a poll.

Is Dennis good enough for the SPL? Please note this is not a "Do you want Dennis to stay at ICT?", but "Is Dennis good enough for SPL"

I've said on other threads that unfortunately I think we've seen the best of Denzil, and I can't see him hacking it for anyone else at SPL level.  To be honest, apart from one good spell he had for about 2 or 3 months alongside Dargo a couple of seasons ago, I think that, generally,  he has been a disappointment since he came back from Hearts.  His best days for us were clearly in the lower divisions.

I can't believe the negativity here. He's not exactly over the hill ffs! Look at Dean Windass scoring in the playoffs today, Hulls best player at 39! Or a little closer to home look at Brewster still doing the business at 40. Bazza and McBain are well into their mid thirties and producing the goods.

Dennis's game is all about vision, control, skill, anticipation, receiving and holding the ball, reading defenders and his team-mates. He hasn't lost any of these qualities. We are very unlikely to find another player who can play like Dennis in the transfer window, certainly not within our price range. So letting him go would be a very foolish mistake!

Nobody on this thread has said he's over the hill. What is being said is he doesn't have it any more. All those qualities you list are no longer there. I believe he lost the edge when he got injured. I believe its psychological but I dont see it all coming back. I hope he goes elsewhere and proves me wrong but it wont happen at ICT.

I suspect we will find ourselves on the receiving end of Dennis's new found form next season.  I am sure we will live to regret not getting him to sign that contract as arranged.  Dennis is a form player and once he starts scoring he goes on a run of form and confidence.  Unfortunately that is looking more and more like it's not going to be in Inverness.

I suspect we will find ourselves on the receiving end of Dennis's new found form next season.  I am sure we will live to regret not getting him to sign that contract as arranged.  Dennis is a form player and once he starts scoring he goes on a run of form and confidence.  Unfortunately that is looking more and more like it's not going to be in Inverness.

I'd agree, but i also thought that would happen with Dargo, and it hasn't yet.................

But if the St Mirren rumours come to fruition, we could have the Dargo/Wyness partnership reinstated.  Dargs was injured for most of this season, so we might have got off lightly letting him go when we did, but if he hooks up with Dennis, we could be in trouble.  We can't afford St Mirren to be a good team next season.  It annoys me that we let players go to our closest rivals and we can't compete financially to keep them in Inverness

I also think Hamilton will go down.  There are a few other teams that would worry me more if they were promoted.  That might sound strange given Hamilton came top but even in the SPL, you get teams coming thrid then struggling for top six next season.

As for Wyness, I think there is a chance of him coming back.  I liked the suggestion of a 6-month contract with options.  I suspect after a good pre-season, a fit-again Wyness would come good.  Don't think there's any chance of him staying mind you and I can't blame the management team for not taking the risk.

I have always like Denzil's style of play but this season he has shown little to encourage the management team to retain him.  Unfortunately, there comes a time when we will have to break the mould big style.  This pre-season looks like being the time when the stalwarts may well find themselves having to re-apply for their jobs.  Basically, if they are not good enough or capable of taking this club forward, then we have to look elsewhere for players who can do the job.  The present squad can not keep playing together for infinity, however much it hurts, some of our favourites will be moving on.  Denzil looks like being one of these and all the best to him if he goes, he has not done anything wrong playing for ICT, but times change and new blood is needed to keep us alive. If we stay with the players we have always had then we rise as far as they can take us, go stagnant, then go into decline, thats not what we want and I'm sure the players involved are big enough to realise this.

TM4TJ  I agree with very much of your post.  My issue is if they are not good enough, why are they potentially being signed by our nearest rivals.  We can't compete with wages until we break our pay structure.  We need to be competing on a level playing field.  It's hard enough for us to bring players to Inverness (up here in the sticks), so we need to attract them with a decent pay packet. Instead we keep losing our players to other SPL teams who are paying more.

I think mayde our average gate receipts will create a problem here, L_G!!

agreed but it all comes down to economies of scale, we need to set our price according to what the market is willing to pay, i for one know a lot of people who will not go because of the cost of tickets, i'm sure this is the case with many more. pricing needs to be competitive but appealing.

I expect the new chairman to attend the Supporter's Trust meeting and forum tonight.  Maybe you would like to come along and tell him that in person/  :021:

I expect the new chairman to attend the Supporter's Trust meeting and forum tonight.  Maybe you would like to come along and tell him that in person/  :021:

i'm sure he's aware of it, like i'm sure the previous chairmen were, easy to spot areas to improve, not always so easy to set them in motion

Maybe someone would be kind enough to ask why St. Mirren can afford to pay more than us when our avarage attendances are higher.  :007:

IIRC they made quite a bit of money by selling their ground to tescos. The whole deal in conjunction with the local council (who partly funded the community training facility) saw their debt wiped out and funding for a new community stadium with associated training facilities with some money left over.