FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Burnley FC V ICT.... 2/8/08

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right ! yer on my ground now, or close enough...

Other than the football there's nowt to see in Burnley and environs, unless yer looking for a Mosque...

But, just down the road, less than an hour away is Blackpool, need I say more...

You can't go wrong there, long as you know what to expect in the digs, it's not all down to "you get what you pay for" some high priced places are shyte, yet some costing a good bit less are top nottch.

Add to that it depends if yer going with the lads and looking for a heavy night, or taking the Mrs and want somewhere a bit less noisy...

As far as eating when yer down there, be sure to hop on a tram {get the day pass} and nip up to Cleveleys, a couple of miles north of Blackpool, ask 'em to drop you off in the centre of town and then walk west, towards the sea front {on the main street} and look for Cleveleys Cafe or the Rembrandt, {facing each other}, they are the same place really as they are owned by the same folks, so you can't go wrong eating there, the fish are above a foot long, and the steak puddings are as big as a babbies heed ! there's nae bad grub in there places, and the prices aren't bad either... Other than the man sized food there, {the steak puddin ain the only thing worth eating}

be sure to check out the Polish lassies who work there, they can make yer eyes roll back in yer heed...

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/80878/4d5a6/2/

If yer down there with the Mrs think of staying at Euston North Hotel in Fleetwood {the end of the line for the tram}, an old Victorian Hotel with a great bar, and very classy rooms and restaurants, you'll not be disappointed there...

http://cgi.www.4hotels.co.uk/cgi-bin/www.4...how.pl?r=111893

As for a night on the town, you HAVE TO go to Funny Girls, best night out in the North West, but get there early as it gets PACKED !

http://www.funnygirlsshowbar.co.uk/

Although the blokes who put the show on are "different" believe me it's not a gay bar, but you will see more than the odd lesbian in there, as women think that most regular blokes won't go there, so the place can be a bit crowded with women kidding each other, thankfully I've never seen any of the bloke indulging in such. Forget the "undertones" though the Show is Brilliant, as good as any show in London, it's a great night out...

Other than that, look the "Alabama" it's a hotel {never stayed there though} but the hotel has one of the best nightclubs in Blackpool, a lot of fun, but again get there early as this place gets packed too...

http://www.thealabama.co.uk/ The Compare {aka the fat little ba stard} is a knock out, again one of the best shows in the NW.

If it's a higher end place yer looking for, in the centre of Blackpool then the Hilton is modern, clean, and almost centrally loaceted, but the food has always been shyte there, they can't even do a decent breakfast, so if you stay there book just for the room and the sea view...

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BLKB...-hotel/index.do

If yer on a budget then at the South end of Blackpool {Squires Gate} there's Pontins, if yer not takin' a lassie with you, they're on tap there, the digs are clean, and the food is better than a lot of places. Squires Gate is the other end of the tram tracks from Fleetwood...

http://www.pontins-blackpool.com/

If you let me know what you can afford then I can point you in the right direction, lots of decent B&B's there, {and the Wigin Mafia know them all},  but there's also lots of shyte too, you just can't go off the prices...

Canada Bob.

Bob,

The Alabama bar looks like a gay bar but might be worth a look, looks like the foods good enough anyways! :angel01: Hate to think who Franklyn is  :015:

August 2008

* Fri 1st - Franklyn / Sat 2nd - Paris

Good stuff though mate, thanks for the help, as for paying for digs I'm grateful for the offer but we'll see what happens, I'll fire off an email and if youre still up for it I know a couple of mates who would otherwise miss out.  We aint a fussy lot.

Bob, The Alabama bar looks like a gay bar but might be worth a look, looks like the foods good enough anyways! :angel01: Hate to think who Franklyn is  :015:

Nah, the Alabama isn't a gay bar, never has been, I think it's just that gay blokes tend to be a bit showy ? is that the word, just look at the telly to see that, and you don't think of TV as being a gay bar do you, grin.

The thing is Clacher, I have to say that I used to think that Funny Girls was a gay place, and I wunt go near the place for years, now I know what I missed for all those years, Funny Girls is the best show North of London in my books, and the folks in there {mostly women} are as generic as any place that you'd find yerself in. If it had been anywhere close to a gay bar I'd have been out of there like a flash, I've enough to put up with women hitting on me, without having to fight blokes off as well, grin...

Far as I know the only gay place in Blackpool is the "Flying Handbag" a rough pub though {from what I'm told, and I aint venturing in to find out}, but known for the impromtu shows that they put on, so if yer 8issed and in need of a quick slash don't be nipping into the Flying Handbag...

Canada Bob.

:015: I dont blame you I can get through a fair amount of keg if I'm away from home.

Will you be in the UK in August?

If only Clacher... up to me neck in Ultra Shave and XL5 {me mosquito stuff} at the moment...

Off to Munich this week end for 9 days, have to attend a meeting with the European Patent Office folks, the EEC Patents {all 28 of them} are what they call "under examination" right now, so I have to attend to answer any questions that the European Patent Office may want to present...

I'll make it a holiday too while we are there {taking the Mrs too}, so I'll have me share of saurkrout, sausage appfelstrudel and more than the odd pint of bavarian beer, pity that Munchen Gladbach don't have a game on, be nice to see them play ICT. I'll be busy while there, so no doubt the wife will figure out where the Malls are, sigh...

Canada Bob.

I'm just clicking through those links, Blackpool looks a laugh but hows the trains between there and Burnley?  Plenty of them on the go?

Ne'er taken the train between Burnley & Blackpool, no doubt there is a good service though, maybe IHE can comment on that, you'd find the info on line though...

I reckon there's a decent bus service too between Burnley & Blackpool...

Canada Bob.

I reckon that the best way to get to the game, and have some flexibility when you get there is to go by car, say 4 of you chucking in for the petrol.

This might help plan the trip, it's Inverness to Blackpool, but Burnley is only 40 minutes away from Blackpool...

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/plann...es_redirect.jsp

Canada Bob.

Bloody typical!!!!!s!!!!!! :008: Moved down here to englandshire 8 years ago. Travel up for the odd game when funds allow. 37 miles to Bloody Burnley. Where am I on 2nd August. Bloody Inverness.

A change of plan may be in order!!!!!!!!!!

I went to Burnley once....never ever again will I go there. I remember a group of us being chased all the way to railway station after a game (that Burnley won) by their hooligan fans. Be careful if you go because the natives are certainly not friendly.