FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Nordin Wooter on trial

mikeyrob73

just heard a rumour that ex watford and ajax winger nordin wooter is heading to us on trial , done a quick search and found this

For those of us who don't live in houses and flats with unlimited storage capacity, an occasional clear-out of accumulated stuff is inevitable...and sometimes a bit heart-breaking.

Obviously, most of the stuff that ends up in that black bin bag and is destined to be greeted with a slightly depressed "thank you" at the charity shop is not even of sentimental value...just Christmas presents from years ago and other unwanted bric-a-brac. Sometimes, though, you really do need the space that's being taken up by something that retains great spiritual significance but no longer has any specific purpose. A favourite toy from childhood, perhaps, a full set of programmes from the 93/94 season, or an incomplete collection of early Bolt Thrower records. And it's going to be a bit of a wrench.

(For the sake of honesty, I should point out that these are merely examples. I still own a full set of programmes from the 93/94 season and an incomplete collection of early Bolt Thrower records, and I will probably do so until my dying day. God help my next of kin, then....)

It's hard to escape the same indistinct, foggy sense of loss when thinking of Nordin Wooter, whose Watford career began so illustriously and ended up, like that favourite childhood toy, in a black bin bag destined for the local charity shop. Because, although he might've been shoved into an available space at the back of the wardrobe in the end, we loved him once. Oh, yes.

Back in September 1999, Nordin Wooter was the club's record signing, and his capture was an attempt to build upon a promising - and remarkably cheap - start to the Premiership campaign. He made his debut in the triumphant one-nil win over Chelsea, without doubt the high water mark of Graham Taylor's second era and therefore of the last fifteen years. He was instantly fantastic, a frantic bundle of mischief and mayhem and flapping dreadlocks, and we were brimming with confidence.

Of course, it wasn't to be. We didn't win another match for what seemed like several decades, and were thoroughly relegated with a considerable chunk of the season still remaining. And Nordin Wooter, rather than being the surprise weapon of the under-estimated underdog, was simply a pleasant distraction for the supporters of a doomed team.

Nevertheless, he was still fantastic on a fairly regular basis. While his fantastic-ness might have failed to contribute much to the pitiful points total, it was still cause for some celebration. Apart from anything else, the sight of Nordin Wooter in full flow - that is, dribbling his way in and out and in and here and there and there and here and far and wide and near and wide and far and forward and back and back and forward until a sufficiently large crowd of opponents had gathered to rob him of the ball - was an entirely necessary reminder that football could still be fun, that things weren't entirely bleak. A quick, brilliantly skillful player with an eager, bustling style, Wooter was capable of making quality opponents look like village idiots...which was a small-scale recreation of what we'd hoped that the whole season would be about.

But it went no further, really. The problem was this, more or less - a winning side, or a losing side wishing to make the transition, requires its wingers to provide crosses and occasional goals, while a losing side can make do with a few tricks and treats to lessen the misery. On the way out of Division One, Watford had had Nick Wright and Peter Kennedy to provide crosses and occasional goals. On the way back, they had Nordin Wooter...who, all too often, provided neither. Those, including me, who expected the wee Dutchman to make a significant impact were to be severely disappointed.

You can still pick out fabulous moments, not least a goal of scything magnificence against a static Norwich defence...which was, in fact, precisely the goal that he'd been promising to score for more than eighteen months. But Nordin Wooter's complete lack of consistency - of passing, of timing of crosses, of quality of crosses, of finishing - began to frustrate as the team lost its way and, as First Division defenders began to learn that he could safely be left to dribble himself into a corner, even his value as an instigator of panic began to fade. Quite simply, we needed a dependable, punctual supply line to the forwards...and Nordin Wooter wasn't it.

He lost his magic, then. Unable to win a regular place in a side lacking a natural right winger, he was made available by Luca Vialli prior to the expiry of his contract. There were no takers. Which is a great shame, as there ought to be room somewhere for players as wonderfully imaginative and plain fun as Nordin Wooter. There ought to be...but you wonder whether there is.

Having first appeared in that joyous victory over Chelsea, he made his final appearance as a substitute in a shambolic, hurtful home defeat to Millwall. Actually, he was one of those who emerged relatively untarnished...but still, it was a sad, depressing context for his curtain call. Somehow, the journey completed was so very, very different from the one that we were intent on travelling back in September 1999.

Nordin Wooter was - is - a star. He'll go to a good home, I hope.

just heard a rumour that ex watford and ajax winger nordin wooter is heading to us on trial , done a quick search and found this

For those of us who don't live in houses and flats with unlimited storage capacity, an occasional clear-out of accumulated stuff is inevitable...and sometimes a bit heart-breaking.

Obviously, most of the stuff that ends up in that black bin bag and is destined to be greeted with a slightly depressed "thank you" at the charity shop is not even of sentimental value...just Christmas presents from years ago and other unwanted bric-a-brac. Sometimes, though, you really do need the space that's being taken up by something that retains great spiritual significance but no longer has any specific purpose. A favourite toy from childhood, perhaps, a full set of programmes from the 93/94 season, or an incomplete collection of early Bolt Thrower records. And it's going to be a bit of a wrench.

(For the sake of honesty, I should point out that these are merely examples. I still own a full set of programmes from the 93/94 season and an incomplete collection of early Bolt Thrower records, and I will probably do so until my dying day. God help my next of kin, then....)

It's hard to escape the same indistinct, foggy sense of loss when thinking of Nordin Wooter, whose Watford career began so illustriously and ended up, like that favourite childhood toy, in a black bin bag destined for the local charity shop. Because, although he might've been shoved into an available space at the back of the wardrobe in the end, we loved him once. Oh, yes.

Back in September 1999, Nordin Wooter was the club's record signing, and his capture was an attempt to build upon a promising - and remarkably cheap - start to the Premiership campaign. He made his debut in the triumphant one-nil win over Chelsea, without doubt the high water mark of Graham Taylor's second era and therefore of the last fifteen years. He was instantly fantastic, a frantic bundle of mischief and mayhem and flapping dreadlocks, and we were brimming with confidence.

Of course, it wasn't to be. We didn't win another match for what seemed like several decades, and were thoroughly relegated with a considerable chunk of the season still remaining. And Nordin Wooter, rather than being the surprise weapon of the under-estimated underdog, was simply a pleasant distraction for the supporters of a doomed team.

Nevertheless, he was still fantastic on a fairly regular basis. While his fantastic-ness might have failed to contribute much to the pitiful points total, it was still cause for some celebration. Apart from anything else, the sight of Nordin Wooter in full flow - that is, dribbling his way in and out and in and here and there and there and here and far and wide and near and wide and far and forward and back and back and forward until a sufficiently large crowd of opponents had gathered to rob him of the ball - was an entirely necessary reminder that football could still be fun, that things weren't entirely bleak. A quick, brilliantly skillful player with an eager, bustling style, Wooter was capable of making quality opponents look like village idiots...which was a small-scale recreation of what we'd hoped that the whole season would be about.

But it went no further, really. The problem was this, more or less - a winning side, or a losing side wishing to make the transition, requires its wingers to provide crosses and occasional goals, while a losing side can make do with a few tricks and treats to lessen the misery. On the way out of Division One, Watford had had Nick Wright and Peter Kennedy to provide crosses and occasional goals. On the way back, they had Nordin Wooter...who, all too often, provided neither. Those, including me, who expected the wee Dutchman to make a significant impact were to be severely disappointed.

You can still pick out fabulous moments, not least a goal of scything magnificence against a static Norwich defence...which was, in fact, precisely the goal that he'd been promising to score for more than eighteen months. But Nordin Wooter's complete lack of consistency - of passing, of timing of crosses, of quality of crosses, of finishing - began to frustrate as the team lost its way and, as First Division defenders began to learn that he could safely be left to dribble himself into a corner, even his value as an instigator of panic began to fade. Quite simply, we needed a dependable, punctual supply line to the forwards...and Nordin Wooter wasn't it.

He lost his magic, then. Unable to win a regular place in a side lacking a natural right winger, he was made available by Luca Vialli prior to the expiry of his contract. There were no takers. Which is a great shame, as there ought to be room somewhere for players as wonderfully imaginative and plain fun as Nordin Wooter. There ought to be...but you wonder whether there is.

Having first appeared in that joyous victory over Chelsea, he made his final appearance as a substitute in a shambolic, hurtful home defeat to Millwall. Actually, he was one of those who emerged relatively untarnished...but still, it was a sad, depressing context for his curtain call. Somehow, the journey completed was so very, very different from the one that we were intent on travelling back in September 1999.

Nordin Wooter was - is - a star. He'll go to a good home, I hope.

I'm interested to know Oats if you are really regurgatating a rumour from Pie and Bovrl, or have heard this from a different source. Just trying to work out if theres any truth in this.

Wooter is garbage by the way.

never read pie and bovril mate, heard it from someone down here in yorkshire this morning. and i very much doubt he even knows what pie and bovril is. It IS the rumour mill chris, and its a rumour i heard so thought i would share it all with you. sign him just for his CRAZY HAIR !!! 

never read pie and bovril mate, heard it from someone down here in yorkshire this morning. and i very much doubt he even knows what pie and bovril is. It IS the rumour mill chris, and its a rumour i heard so thought i would share it all with you. sign him just for his CRAZY HAIR !!! 

Sorry Oats, didn't mean to make it seem like I was having a dig, was just keen to find out as I have now heard it from 2 seperate sources which gives it a bit of credibility.

I remember Wooter, used to run about alot but do nothing much else.

Anyone thats seen Chris McGuire for Aberdeen this season will know what I mean.

no need to apologise chris mate, no offence taken, you know me better than that 

i cant see anything coming off it meself, BUT maybe he is super fit, we all know brewster likes fit players more than skilful players

Given that he is currently playing for AEK Larnaca in Cyprus (after a career that spans Ajax, Real Zaragoza, Watford, RBC Roosendaal, Braga, Famagusta, Panathinaikos, and Sivasspor) it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Brewster's Greek connections have come into play here. Other than that, I know nothing about the player .... looked up his image on Google though and see what you mean about the hair  :015:

I bet there's a great anagram in there somewhere.....

Reword Notion (ironic for a 'rumour')

Ironed on Wort (go see a doctor)

Worried No Not (should we be)

Indoor Net Row (something we get a lot of on here !!!)

Dire Won Or Not (a bit of poetic license)

Don't know anything about him, but some of the footage on YouTube looks impressive and he certainly seems like he's worth taking a look at.

About this time last year, there was some impressive footage on youtube of a new signing also, and look what happened there!

Now I'm getting your point.  Dean McDonald had some impressive footage on YouTube but failed to cut the mustard after being signed so the club should just move quickly from getting a name to dismissing them as a signing if they have something resembling impressive footage up on the net....is that about it, or am I still missing something?

Difference is that Dean was at Arsenal as a kid and had done nothing much else ..... whereas this player has been at some pretty large clubs well after the "youth development" stage of his career.

He may or may not be worth it, the rumour may or may not be true, but at the very least he would be worth looking at if he came on trial .....

to be honest, I am actually liking some of Brewster's thinking if this one is true .... get in promising youngsters either from within our own ranks like Wood, Vigurs, Duff etc ... as well as offer trials to promising youngsters who might not be required at bigger clubs like Sean Evans but also look to players who might currently have dropped down a level or two and who could do a job for us in the SPL. It is also clear that our net is being cast wider than the Black Isle which is equally encouraging.

His debut for Watford was a win over Chelsea - in which the only goal was scored by ex-ICT Alan Smart. It's fate.

He was born in Paramaribo (Surinam), which also gave the world Aron Winter, Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, so he MUST be good*.

* I'm conveniently overlooking Regi Blinker.

BTW...i refer to Dean McDonald

SMEE, Charlie Christie didn't bring Dean here based on you-tube footage. The footage didn't actually appear until after the guy was signed and it was some of the young fans who were raving about the guy. Dean may well have turned out to be a decent squad player for us had he been given the chance but he didn't cut the mustard with Brewster. from what I hear lately work rate off the field and a bit of big-headedness may have had a bit to do with it. The 'I trained at Arsenal so I'm better than you' type attitude

Bit old but he could be a rare player for us.

And my view on this Deano thing is that even if he was looking good in training Brewster still wouldnt have used him.

Brewster never used any of Christies signings, including Rankin.

.Deano never played  :tic01:

.Rankin evetnually played but had already upped the sticks :029:

.Watt played one game then dissapeared for a year  :024:

Cowie and Niculae played because they established themselves so quickly.  :022: