cup tradition

Guest bingobingo

Guest bingobingo

read managers comments today on how nice it would be to get to semi final as we dont have gret cup tradition?????

emm pele brilliant scottish cup results and challenge cup final :rotflmao: robbo great cup runs two scottish semi s and one challenge cup final ????? :thumb04:

brew ???????????

Can only think he means League Cup and the Scots Cup since we joined the SPL. However, what manager has been in charge for most of our SPL history meaning such a bad cup tradition since falls on his shoulders! I am I write in thinking we have only reached the Scotish Cup Q/F once since the SPL and that was under CC? Has Brew ever won a Scots Cup game at ICT? Think he has lost to Dons and Hibs in round 3 (4 in new format) and drew with Ayr before going to DUFC.

Edited by Govan Jaggie

In the P&J the quote is : "?We don?t have a particularly great cup tradition and it would be nice to get to the final of the competition."

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/909133? and I would certainly take issue with that having been present at some tremendous cup games in places like Tynecastle, Celtic Park, Hampden and the Caledonian Stadium itself.

However, the quote in the Record perhaps gives it more context: "In recent years, certainly since I've been at the club, we haven't had a great tradition of cup results. I think it's time that changed. For us to have a major semi-final to look forward to next year would be a great boost for the club."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-20846931/

Guest WynessLegend

What a load of absolute drivel some of you people speak.

Does it not occur to you that he maybe simply means we have not yet reached the final

of a major cup tournament?

Show the man a bit of support.

To be fair to John Robertson, he did lead us to the semi final the season before. Brewster has the poorest cup record of any of our managers with the exception Baltacha.

To be fair to Charlie and Brew John Robertson left us before we played a cup game as an SPL team. We were a div 1 team for the semi you refer.

Scottish Cup since SPL...............................................................

.............League Cup

04-05................Round 4 beat 2-1 by Aberdeen......... Brew........................Rd 3 beat 3-1 Moth

05-06................Round 4 beat 4-2 on pens Partick..... Christie....................Rd 4 beat 2-1 Livi

06-07................Round 5 beat 2-1 by Celtic.............. Christie.....................Rd 3 beat 1-0 Falkirk

07-08................Round 4 beat 3-0 by Hibs................ Brew.........................Rd 4 beat 4-1 Aberdeen

Edited by Alex MacLeod

I don't think for one minute that Brewster is ignorant of our previous cup exploits, but he might have chosen his "angle" a bit better in trying to make his point.

I don't think it matters what division we were in under any previous manager when we witnessed some absolutely fantastic Cup games. Even some of the ones we've lost in previous years serve as memorable for good reasons as opposed to bad.

For me, our past cup successes all came down to the fact that, as I've said before, we had a squad who all believed in themselves and each other. We had a squad that always tried to push forward and seldom did we see the mentality that we would pinch first goal and then defend en masse. Every player on the park believed he was capable of putting the ball in the back of the net....and that was quite often the case. The team wasn't set up to suite the needs of one or two, it was set up to make best use of the teams strengths as a whole.

These are not attributes and qualities which should be set aside just because we're in the SPL....if anything we should be looking for them now more than ever. Most of what's missing now is not something you teach someone. It's a feeling, an atmosphere that is projected on to people. It's the ability of a manager to reach beyond what is taught on the training pitch and to bring heart and soul into the equation. It's all those things that the opposition can't feed into an equation or counter tactic when they are preparing for and playing against you. It's the belief that no matter which 11 men your lined up against, and no matter how much better you think they are, this could be your day and that all you need to do is give it your all for yourself and your team and the result will take care of itself.

Some Managers have the ability to do project that on to a team, some don't.