FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Help. Defenders needed.

acharacleoracle

Our defensive frailties were highlighted against Celtic, Motherwell and Falkirk but todays performance against Rangers was exceptionally woeful.

Our back line needs replacing and come January this should be a priority. Sadly by then we could find ourselves firmly rooted at the bottom of the league faced with an uphill struggle to stave of relegation. Our defense is totally inadequate due to combination of inexperience, lack of form, injury or just plain useless (you can add the names yourself), lumping long balls up to the lone striker is pointless and just does not cut it.

Come January the minimum we need is two experienced central defenders who can be relied on to control the backline and who can engage the midfield (our strength) from there our forward/s will see a bit more of the ball where they need it on the ground.

We need a positive committed response from the team against Hibs, we need a win very badly.

Sorry, but in this instance I totally disagree. We have a squad of very good players. I've witnessed them play exceptionally well on many an occassion. We're talking guys who beat both halves of the OF last season. For some reason they ain't doing it this season. The only common denominator I can come up with is the management team.

Sorry, but in this instance I totally disagree. We have a squad of very good players. I've witnessed them play exceptionally well on many an occassion. We're talking guys who beat both halves of the OF last season. For some reason they ain't doing it this season. The only common denominator I can come up with is the management team.

I doubt even Alex Ferguson could get an adequate performance out of our defense right now.

I doubt even Alex Ferguson could get an adequate performance out of our defense right now.

Talking about Alex Ferguson I was reading an article about him talking about what a huge surprise Hull have been this season, he said "it shows what can be done when the management mix is right"

I believe anyone other than Brewster could.

i dont think its fair to slate our entire defense

i think they all are talented, i think one or two may need a bit of a polish but there are only really one or two who need the boot id say

Catch 22, ideally you would polish those who need it in the reserves for a year or two and boot out the underperformers but there is nothing to replace them with unless you draft in a few U19's who need reserve football to get up to speed. Another injury or maybe a suspension and we will have nothing left to make up the numbers.

• 1 month later...

Roll on January and the transfer window. Time to find a central defender to beef things up.

sorry but iam 99% sure we wont sign anyone in jan so why roll on jan?

99% sure, I'm intrigued, will there be no transfer activity come January then and if so why not???. Tell me more please.

I'd agree with that not 99% but pretty sure there won't be any incomers unless there are a few out. Falling attendances and it may get worse so prudence is needed to protect the club financially. 11th place means SPL football again next season and we live to play again, the squad we have look like surviving so why spend in the current climate?

Roll on January and the transfer window. Time to find a central defender to beef things up.

sorry but iam 99% sure we wont sign anyone in jan so why roll on jan?

99% sure, I'm intrigued, will there be no transfer activity come January then and if so why not???. Tell me more please.

I'd agree with that not 99% but pretty sure there won't be any incomers unless there are a few out. Falling attendances and it may get worse so prudence is needed to protect the club financially. 11th place means SPL football again next season and we live to play again, the squad we have look like surviving so why spend in the current climate?

11th place is fine by me. Prudence is a desirable commodity at the moment in any walk of life never mind ICTFC. However a weak defence could kill us, we need to shore things up, we have had our defensive frailties exposed on more than one occassion this season so I don't share your confidence when you say "the squad we have look like surviving". We have already pruned the squad when Pattielainen was released and it looks likely that one other will go at the end of December so there should be cash available to bring in a new face.