FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Indian & Chinese food

Scotty

OK - following on from the best chippies and best Pizzas .... lets survey Curry Houses and Chinese Restaurants/Takeaways .......

My missus insists that the best curry house in Inverness is the Indian Cottage on Academy street ... In fact, when we were last over, she made it a pre-requisite that we had to go there for a meal one night. The reason for this was that, although there is a sizeable east-Indian population over here, we have not been able to come close to finding one with the same quality/style of food as UK curry houses (I am sure there are some, we just havent found them yet) ........ I cant say Indian Cottage is the best I ever tasted over the years, as I do remember a few alcohol fuelled curry sessions, but it is consistently good ... she especially likes the wide variety of Naan breads.

Chinese restaurants on the other hand fare badly in her eyes. UK chinese food, she insists, is bland and in some cases inedible. After sampling a lot of 'real' Chinese food (including several traditional family meals) since moving over here, I have to agree.

.... We eat Chinese food fairly often as there is a large Asian population and also because my mother-in-law's best friend is Chinese and often takes us to restaurants that have become popular due to word of mouth within the Chinese community. Every time she takes us to one she has newly discovered, the food has been great.

Unlike the 'processed', 'fast food' versions I have gotten in Inverness, the stuff we eat when we go to one of the restaurants over here is freshly cooked, not drenched in oil/soy sauce and the vegetables are usually steamed to perfection. In fact, if you want seafood (lobster/crab/fish), they usually ask you to pick the one you want from a tank where they are swimming around oblivious to their impending fate !!!

We can pick up a single portion (enough for two) at our favourite takeaway for less than 5 dollars (2.50 in UK money) and that includes rice and soup. We have never had a bad experience yet ... so thumbs down to Inverness restaurants and huge thumbs up to HARDEN FAST FOODS (Takeaway), CONGEE WONG (Restaurant) and JOY FORTUNE (Restaurant) in North Toronto :002:

We do on occasions also go to a Chinese 'all you can eat' Buffet ... The 'Mandarin' chain are quite popular here and although the food is classed as 'north American' Chinese food rather than authentic and is a tad more processed it is probably still better than any UK fare I have had until now .... So come on Inverness folks, prove me wrong, gimme a good Chinese restaurant in Inverness that will impress the wife next time we are over .....

Thats what I mean CCC - the place you mention is pretty good and certainly excellent value, but with no disrespect intended to the owners, they are cooking in bulk and catering for the masses, so it is terrible compared to 'real' Chinese food ... I dont think Inverness has a place that serves real Chinese food ..... unless of course, someone knows differently ....

Nowhere in Inverness does "proper" Asian food, not that I have experienced anyway. But their was a wee place in Edinburgh I used to frequent that did the best Thai I have ever had. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.

The best of what we do have here in Inverness...ummm....they are much and such I think. None really stands out for me. For Chinese Takeaway I rarely venture anywhere other than Mr Rice - partly because I get it free and partly because they prepare the dishes the way I like (thicker gravy in the Chow Mien as an example)

I have to agree with CDN Girl on her selection of the Cottage Tandoori. Mrs G and me go there almost every time we visit the fair city. We have also tried the Shapla and Rhaja which did not disappoint in any way with the food - we always favour the smaller, more friendly, atmosphere of the cottage.

I've not tried any of the Chineese venues but I do recall having an excellent Sweet and Sour chicken in Dickens Restaurant on Church Street once.

Lol johnboy im lucky i can eat what i want when i want and get away with it im busy all the time so burn it all off i walk alot i go dancing most sat nights ...ermmm what else do i do ....!!!

Guest Lauraness

thats some flu you got there sis!! i wonder how that happened........dont think you drank enough smirnoff!!

Sis i feel like crap i been sick all afternoon :007: i really aint drinking fer a very very long time

Did you have a Jimmy Chung last night as well, CCC? That can be a dodgy combination along with the Smirnoff... :018: :018:

I'm genuinely surprised CCC. You look much taller in the chat room. :015:

However, based on the Highland News photo this means that 10CC must now be only 3 foot 10.