FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The rocky road and the twelve steps to Dungdee

If I ever go on the wagon, which is highly unlikely, i will look fer a job in Dungdee

9 July 2006

I SIGNED AFTER AN AA MEET

NEW Dundee star Andy McLaren finished his first week's training on Tayside then revealed his one-year deal was sealed at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

The former Dundee United and Kilmarnock winger, lured to Dens after quitting Morton, told of his special bond with Dee player-boss Alex Rae who has also overcome a drink problem.

McLaren said: "Alex was one of the first people who spoke to me in The Priory when my problems first came out and I always appreciated that.

"We were at one of our meetings a few weeks ago when we got talking and my move just came about from there.

"I was leaving Morton and he had taken over at Dundee so it kind of went from there."

McLaren also disclosed how Rae's words of encouragement helped keep him going after being axed at Reading for failing drink and drugs tests.

Andy said: "I thought it was the end of my world, sitting in the Priory back then. But Alex was living proof people could come back from it.

"The fact he had been through it and phoned me was a big boost. He just said to do what I was told and I'd be alright.

"I always remember he did that for me."

"There isn't much we have not seen in our time."

:017: :017: :017:

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody should remind these idiots of the traditions of AA.

They are not supposed to break their anonymity at the level of the press..

IHE I can assure you if you ever think you need help, you don't need to as far as Dundee!!

We are behind you and in front of you in the Stand. Ready to catch you if you fall!

Graham

• 2 weeks later...