FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Juventus to be relegated to Serie B

ICT29

Story from setanta

Italian giants Juventus could be relegated to Serie B along with Fiorentina and Lazio when the Calciopoli verdict is announced later on Friday, according to reports from Italy.

The official verdict will be known at 19h00 CET.

It is expected that AC Milan will remain in Serie A, but will not be allowed compete in the Champions League next season.

As well as being relegated to the second division, Juventus are likely to start the season with a 15 or 20-point deduction. The predicted outcome would be a mixed result for the Old Lady of Italian football, after FIGC prosecutor Stefano Palazzi had called for them to be relegated to Serie C, at least.

The clubs will be allowed to appeal the verdict - something that is very likely - but this must be completed by July 25, which is the fnal day for the FIGC to hand in the list of Italian qualifiers for next season's Champions League and Uefa Cup.

The most surprising suggestion perhaps is that Lazio and Fiorentina will also be relegated to Serie B with the former likely to be docked 6-7 points, while the Viola are set for a 10-points deduction.

If the reports are accurate, AC Milan will have got off lightly. The Rossaneri will start the season 20 points down but remain in Serie A and will not be able to compete in European competition next season. A similar European ban will be imposed on Fiorentina and Juventus.

It is unkown whether or not Juventus will retain their titles from the last two seasons.

AC Milan club President Silvio Berlusconi has called for all the four teams not to be relegated, saying: "The sanctions should not be aimed at the players who don't deserve to drop into Serie B or C.

"We also shouldn't punish the fans who have done nothing wrong. I'm against relegating anyone, I'm not just talking about us.

"It's only fair that the guilty pay for their actions - the directors and referees involved should face a proper trial though, not a rushed one."

As well as the four clubs, 25 individuals are also being investigated.

This is the second time Fiorentina have been relegated in the last 10 or so years. The last time was for admin reasons I think when they were dumped right down to the bottom.

Good enough for them. There should be no right to appeal. Dodgy refs and players? Imagine Celtic and / or Rangers getting dumped down to playing East Stirling and the like on a Saturday.  :clapping04:

Surely someone out there knows something to help our cause ! Please !!

Guest kingkojak

cannavro and emersona are off to real-  IMO that is completely outrageous!

fair enough juve were relegated and deeducted 30 points for match fixing.  yet how the feck could they have fixed any matches if the players werent in on it?  the italian footy authorities have fecked this up i reckon -when they threw the book at juve they should have also banned the (guilty) sqaud from pissing off to other teams! 

its like sentencing darth vader but saying to his evil murderous henchmen,  , ' ach, its alright you boys all had mortgages to pay and were just doing what you were told' 

baw socks! 

Fiorentina were relegated because they were declared bankrupt.

Not suprised to see Emerson and Cannavaro go to Madrid though a bit suprised Zambrotta isn't joining them.

Guest kingkojak

how on earth can all these players be allowed to leave?  they're all feckin guilty of match fixing by association and so should have to pay the same feckin penalty as the club!

will change the record soon but im gettin quite angry about this!

Guest kingkojak

To be fair, I don't believe that there is any suggestion that the players are implicated.

:015: :015: :015:

kingsmills, its not feckin champ manager - its completely impossible for a manager / coach / chairman / anybody to throw a game of footy without the majority of players being wholly complicit.  fact!

unless of course the powers that be at said footy club field a team of under 11's...

I'd imagine it was due to lack of evidence regarding specific players, or they were only really interested in the "Big Fish" and catching the clubs themselves out was enough for UEFA.  It's not uncommon, especially in corporate cases, for courts/governing bodies to settle for winning a case against the company and not pursue individuals within companies whe were involved.

However, I suspect we haven't heard the last of it and that over time information will come out as to which players were more directly involved.

I find it hard to believe that the players didn't know either to be honest but I find it odd why none were part of this whole investigation or at least weren't investigated in the same manner as the board members.

Guest kingkojak

would be interesting to see the matches which uefa have judged to be 'fixed' to see if there is any clear infractions by players....

or wether both teams in said matches were just simply complete cr*p.    

Guest kingkojak

aitch... i couldnt give a feck if the clubs penalties are slashed - its the cheating feckers on the park i want to see hanged! 

pause for thought though for the smaller teams in the serie A like Chievo, Palermo or my own personal favourite - Cagliari.  they have a bloody good chance this year of success and a european spot :clapping04:

If this scandal had happened to the Old Firm and they suffered similar fate then im positive we would all be running around like demented monkeys  :015: