FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Bayne sent to shrink

Harry Chibber

I think we should have our whole team subjected to Manchurian Candidate style brain-washing, if they hear the trigger words "Transfer bid from Dundee United" they immediately say over and over "I am happy at my current club and have no wish to move.  Please give me a new five year contract."

I like Bayne, his effort is always 100%, but I still don't think he's SPL quality.

In saying that I thought we looked a much better team when he came on against Aberdeen on Saturday. He did more in just a wee time on the pitch than Dennis did in 70mins. And strangely, rather than the expected high balls up front, we started to play some decent on the deck stuff.

I'd start him on Saturday.

Bayne is unfortunate in that he is always going to attract criticism - big, targetman strikers always draw the boo-boys.  However, he is a player who can offer us a  lot up front.  He is powerful, strong and extremely hard-working.  In 2004/05 he was an integral part of the team that kept us up, in many ways he typified our side in that period.  He was unlucky last season in that he suffered injury and was behind two strikers who were scoring freely in Dargo and Wyness.

I wouldn't be disheartened to see him start up front with Dargs on Saturday.

I thought he was too big as well. :010:

Of course he is SPL standard..........what is this SPL standard we keep hearing about, is it something special.

He gives his all for the cause, and should be ahead of Denzil at the moment. He kick started our SPL two seasons ago and lets not forget that. He will come good given the chance and I don't mean ten and fifteen minute subs appearances.

Rumble them up Bayners, and get stuck into the nancy boys this weekend.

Thats a thumbs up from me. :003:

He gives his all for the cause, and should be ahead of Denzil at the moment.

Why should he be ahead of Denzil?

Wyness' link up play and holding the ball up and spreading it to other players has been superb in the last two games.

Personally I would start with all three of them, but if not I can't see Dargo being the fall guy. Therefore based on that Bayne gives us more aerial threat and roughs up the defences.  I said after the St Mirren game that Wyness was the link man when the midfield disappeared to help the flagging defence, in fact I think I voted him as my MoM. But, basing it on the chances that CC will drop Dargo or play three up front at home,(perish the thought), and the fact that he liked the way the team performed once Bayne came on at Pitoddrie, then that is my reason and opinion.

I also think Denzil is a very good player for us and if he put himself about a bit more would be even better, he has all the attributes to score great goals with skill, but does lack the extra pace of Dargo and the heading ability of Bayne.

So, this Saturday, I would start with Dargo and Bayne.

I would also bring Morgan back, or has he fallen foul of the management?

Not so sure about the central defender bit, but maybe he could.

Bayne is a little like Paul Ritchie - both had their share of doubters (and boo-boys) but both worked hard at providing for the other strikers. As has been said before, he is never going to be a 20+ goal a season striker, but he will create a fair few for Dargo / Wyness or whoever he is partnered with

Well Rig, we were both at Saturdays game and I agree with your comments but I can not agree about Wyness.

I felt he was lethargic in his approach and did not have a very high work rate.

Bayne, when he came on was neither of these things as he is a worker.

The main point when we look at the two of them is that Wyness has more ability in his big toe than Bayne!

Wyness is a cheat too all the paying customers as he can give us so much entertainment but does not bother whereas Bayne gives 100% of his ability.

In my team I would have Bayne and leave Wyness in the reserves until he wakes up and realises that we rescued him from playing in Perth or Brechin or Peterhead and no doubt he would only be using 50% of his ability there as well!!

I agree with RiG, I think Dennis played OK against St Mirren and really well in the first half against Aberdeen, I don't understand where all the criticism has come from. I think if he finally gets one in the net he'll go off on a scoring run.

I don't agree about Baynes ariel threat, I think for a big guy his heading is really poor - seems to have no sense of timing. In fact a lot of our team seem poor at heading, outwith the defence the best player we have in the air is Black! What does he put in his boots that he can spring that high?

I would say, and I hope Graham Bayne reads this, if you get the starting position over the other candidates then make it stick. If the lad is good enough he'll be a regular, if he's not then so be it. I certainly wouldn't be critisising him before he's had a chance to show whether or not he has what it takes this season.

C'mon Bayne--anyone with Bayne, MacBayne or MacBean as their name  must be good and far too many people who think they have ability flatter to deceive. Give me a hard grafter every day. EVERY day.

And keep the ball on the deck so that controversy cannot arise as to who can head the 'ba

or not heid the 'ba.... :clapping04:

Graham Bayne is a grafter - no doubt about that - my only concern is that he doesn,t score enough goals - albeit that he has been getting used as a sub mostly and he obviously misses a lot of games through injury. Over a season Denzil will score more goals and I don't think we can afford the luxury of having Bayne there just to assist Dargo, we can't rely on one player to score all the time.

Bayne is a little like Paul Ritchie - both had their share of doubters (and boo-boys) but both worked hard at providing for the other strikers. As has been said before, he is never going to be a 20+ goal a season striker, but he will create a fair few for Dargo / Wyness or whoever he is partnered with

Paul Ritchie work hard????

Paul Ritchie was a typical example of a targetman, he played with his back to goal all the time and would always look to lay balls into the Wyness' path.  The problem with Bayne is not his workrate but possibly that he works to hard he needs to show more composure on the ball because whenever I've seen him play as soon as he gets the ball his head goes down.  If he is going to play like a targetman then he needs to stay in the same place so the midfield and defense and can always find him but half the time he is chasing after the ball which should really be left to the striker.  I have to also agree with sneckfan Bayne's heading is quite poor for a big player.

I think he is an excellent player to bring on for the last 20 mins of a game because of the way he hassles defenders and goalkeepers (jamie langfield :015:) but at the same time I think McCallister is more than capable of doing that.

CC needs to sit him down and explain if he needs him as a targetman, if so what he expects from Bayne to fill this role.