FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher Out - Calderwood In (merged)

DornochCaley

Right, i have put this in the RUMOUR thread for a reason, as that is what it is so dont give me all that "You talk ***** mate" and things like that......

I have heard by people close to the club that come the end of December they hope to have Jimmy Calderwood in charge of the club. Personally, as much as i doubt it will happen, i would love that. I thought he was great at Aberdeen and never deserved the abuse he got of the Sheep Shaggers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just caught a snippet on the radio that Sturrock is moving upstiars at Plymouth, and the new manager (?) is talking up Butcher as his assistant? canna see the big man going down there for that job? but then again...

Edited by caley100

Plymouth appointed Paul Mariner as Head Coach and Sturrock seems to be maintaining the "Manager" title, although it seems his role will not necessarily be in the dugout. They (Plymouth) seem to be trying something different in the managerial/coaching set up and I'm sure I heard something yesterday about a 5 year plan and building a coaching staff/setup where they will promote from within.....by which I'm assuming that they'll be appointing future managers from existing staff instead of looking beyond.

Effectively, if Butcher went as Assistant Head Coach to Mariner then he would be third in command.

Regardless if this is true or not, I don't want to see him anywhere near our club, end of.

Why? Did well with both Dunfermline and Aberdeen. Took both in to Europe and away from relegation. Only our location could tempt him I suspect.

Regardless if this is true or not, I don't want to see him anywhere near our club, end of.

Why? Did well with both Dunfermline and Aberdeen. Took both in to Europe and away from relegation. Only our location could tempt him I suspect.

Took the words out my mouth, Starchief....

Not only did he win promotion for Dunfermline in his first season, he guided them to a 4th and then a 5th place finish in the SPL.

I beleve anyone that would be anti jimmy must be ex dons fans, however i happen to know a couple that would have jimmy back tmrw!!

If i had to chose it would be robbo, but jimmys still better qualifyed in the scottish game than TB...

He?s not doing anything else just now... i think hes snap our hand off. However im still trying to give TB a chance and as i said my elegance lies else where for a replacement.

However hed be better than a kick in the nuts....

I'd rather not have ICT full of Dutch amateur players thankyouverymuch!

It was hard enough to start cheering on the likes of Ryan Esson, when i'd spent years slagging him off when in a Dons top. Having to support us with Tangoman in the dugout might be a bridge too far.

Actually I occasionally see JC on the Number 5 bus in Aberdeen (since he lives near where I work). I'll ask him if I I see him anytime soon...

and theres the jinx, we play a good game one week and it goes to rats the next... This is me going off topic so I'll stop after this, TB played an old school Caley game, with 9 out of the 11 being Ex SPL, and seemed to be playing the old way ATTACK!! as i said on another thread.. I dont care if we leak goals aslong as we are getting more at the other end...

Having to support us with Tangoman in the dugout might be a bridge too far.

Mindless abusive of Calderwood :rolleyes :lol:

DC, Every heard of the phrase 'taking the p*ss'......

I know it's been alluded to on another thread, but it really needs a thread of it's own, but the talk is that Butcher is away to Plymouth as assistant.

Plymouth Fans Site Butcher Rumour

Apparently the talk is that Paul Sturrock has been moved out of the dugout, whilst still being the "manager", mainly due to his current health problems and will be a less stressful job at the club and Paul Mariner will now be the Head Coach, with Terry Butcher coming in as assistant. Apparently Mariner was on TalkSport earlier and though this was not mentioned by Mariner himself, Alan Brazil did hint at it just before the interview started.

I for one think that this could possibly have legs on it. If you look at Butcher and Mariner, they played together at Ipswich Town for eight years and were also involved in the England set up together for quite a while. Also interesting to note that someone has already mentioned Jimmy Calderwood as a name being looked at already, and at this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see Butcher away in the not too distant future.

Edited by Renegade

Will Butcher really leave a first time manager to become a assistent manager?

Although he might leave just now like he did with Motherwell a few years back.

Message to Butcher: Leave now, the home form is like brewsters, the away form is like brewsters, and your seriously going to do the same as brewster. If it wasnt for your keeper change at the last vital games of last season, i think we would have stayed upp so you .are half responsible for our last relegation.... and your slowly creeping towards another!

Will Butcher really leave a first time manager to become a assistent manager?

Although he might leave just now like he did with Motherwell a few years back.

Message to Butcher: Leave now, the home form is like brewsters, the away form is like brewsters, and your seriously going to do the same as brewster. If it wasnt for your keeper change at the last vital games of last season, i think we would have stayed upp so you .are half responsible for our last relegation.... and your slowly creeping towards another!

The assistant managers job at a Championship side like Plymouth is probably a bigger job than being manager of a fairly small First Division side.

And on the second bit, the away form is like Brewster's?! Sorry but have you not noticed that ICT gubbed Ayr last weekend? And by the sound of things, Butcher got something right.

Its not how many you score... its how many you win!

Yes he might have things sorted for one game but then he willprobably feck it up and make things worse (eg 1.0 over rangers at ibrox, change keeper, relegated)

Nothing would surprise me on this, but before we get too carried away, this comment from a fan on that Plymouth website is perhaps worth reiterating.

For those who didn't hear the interview and may be confused by the subject heading on this thread.

As part of the build-up to the interview, Alan Brazil said words to the effect of "we'll maybe see Terry Butcher coming all the way down from Inverness to join Mariner. Possibly with Sturrock taking on a director of football role"

However, neither Sturrock moving upstairs nor Butcher's possible arrival were mentined in the interview with Mariner.

Edited by Yngwie

On this point, they have more money than us, so can afford to buy us out for him, that would be ideal for us really, cost us nothing to get rid of him, and also make a quid or two... maybe cover some of our court case costs.... and get robbo back in with Bazza....

Also does anyone not feel bad that they seem to think he'd be a good thing, as a defensives coach... that?s one thing he isn?t!!

He's as good at spotting defenders and coaching them as Brewster was with strikers.....

Edited by Georgeios

On this point, they have more money than us, so can afford to buy us out for him, that would be ideal for us really, cost us nothing to get rid of him, and also make a quid or two... maybe cover some of our court case costs.... and get robbo back in with Bazza....

Also does anyone not feel bad that they seem to think he'd be a good thing, as a defensives coach... that?s one thing he isn?t!!

He's as good at spotting defenders and coaching them as Brewster was with strikers.....

Wishful thinking here methinks, Georgeios...

Butcher ain't going nowhere at the moment.

Maybe, just maybe he's finally found a winning blend here now anyway.... :blink: